Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 AM

160 posts, read 267,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
My neighbor showed me an ad last week where the company was looking for a Manager of Accounts Receivable. Three years experience required, CPA or MBA preferred. In the Chicago area. Salary of $60K a year.

We LOAO! $60K a year in the Chicago area and they think they're going to get a CPA or MBA? Are companies so greedy they hope to find some out of work person to take this? If so, it will only result in a revolving door anyway.

Ever see an ad looking for someone who is detail oriented and there are typo's throughout the ad? I always tell people when they're searching for a job, "Add 'Manger' to your search words because you can't believe the number of ads out there with that typo!"

Hilarious!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 AM

22,589 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't think that's what happened because you see this all the time. They're saying the requirements are X, but that they prefer Y. Notice the language change.

Agreed!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:36 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
I would hope that it was a copy-paste error.

A/R-A/P clerk does not require someone with a 4-year degree.
Of course, that's why its not required.

But as an employer if you could find someone with that advanced skill and is willing to work for the same money, wouldn't you prefer that?

I see nothing wrong with the ad and think its pretty representative.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:39 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
Right, but the qualifications they prefer for that position(clerk) are a little high and greedy on their part. Also, it sets the scenes for if the highschool diploma candidate is what they get stuck with they can really low ball and say we are giving you a chance as we would have preferred a college grad.

Welcome to the business world. Everything is excusable in the name of profitability. the sooner you accept this, the sooner you can get on the treadmill.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
I would hope that it was a copy-paste error.

A/R-A/P clerk does not require someone with a 4-year degree.
No, but notice the focus on "experience in commercial credit and collections". This poor sap is going to find out, once hired, that all of his experience and academic credentials have landed him a position in a cubicle at a call center, making cold calls to businesses (or, even worse, individuals) that have late bills, asking them "what can we do to get this taken care of today?" and getting cussed out most of the time.

This is why, as a previous poster said, they'd be willing to take the right candidate with a lighter resume. All they want is a teledrone. The fancy job title isn't fooling me.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:16 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I don't see a problem with it. There are not many jobs for a bachelors of accounting major. You need a CPA to get good accounting jobs, so I don't think they will have a problem getting what they prefer. I think it's good that they are also willing to consider experience to make up for a candidate having less than their preferred degree, they really don't have to do that in this climate, IMO.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
No, but notice the focus on "experience in commercial credit and collections". This poor sap is going to find out, once hired, that all of his experience and academic credentials have landed him a position in a cubicle at a call center, making cold calls to businesses (or, even worse, individuals) that have late bills, asking them "what can we do to get this taken care of today?" and getting cussed out most of the time.

This is why, as a previous poster said, they'd be willing to take the right candidate with a lighter resume. All they want is a teledrone. The fancy job title isn't fooling me.
My first thought.

It's a bottom feeder collection agency that's willing to take on any poor schlub that's ready to do anything. Master's preferred?

Ever talk to one of these monkeys?

My last experience with these scum eaters:

They were attempting to collect a debt from my neighbors across the street.

Believe it or not, this brilliant gal who couldn't manage an ant farm calls my home and asks who I am.

Uhmmmm.....you called me, babe.

I can't remember the last time I made a phone call and didn't know who I was trying to reach.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see a problem with it. There are not many jobs for a bachelors of accounting major. You need a CPA to get good accounting jobs, so I don't think they will have a problem getting what they prefer. I think it's good that they are also willing to consider experience to make up for a candidate having less than their preferred degree, they really don't have to do that in this climate, IMO.

They don't want an accountant.

They want a bottom feeder that makes 1000 calls per week.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
There are many real entry level accounting jobs in my area. Starting salary of 30-40k. A bookkeeper is not an accountant...

Old 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
It's a dead end job with high stress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment