Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
The only problem is that I'm not sure if they are intentionally adding the time or not. I have to see this next paystub before I have a better idea of what is going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I can always say I never received my pay stubs. Like I said, there may be no error at all and I may be calculating it wrong. I'll see the breakdown of the pay on my next stub I get and take it from there if its inaccurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The best approach is to take your pay statement to your supervisor or payroll folks and say, "Help me understand this." The same technique works when you think you have been shorted. They are always happy to educate employees about their processes and will review the information they used to generate the paycheck. Maybe you were overpaid, maybe not. Give them the opportunity to fix an error if there was one. The person who enters wrong data will want to cure that quietly.
I agree w/ Nell Plotts. Don't come right out & say they've been overpaying you by XXX dollars. I'd first simply ask them to go over how they calculate the pay & make sure you specifically go over at least one past paycheck amount. Then, you go home & recalculate at least a few past paychecks the way they told you how they calculate. You may just be missing something all this time.

If you still get a $200-300 overpayment, then sit down with them again & bring your calculations when you talk with them.

I'm sure after all that, something will have been figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 02:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Tell them right away! They will catch the error and you will be in big trouble. Do it by email so you have a written record and can prove you told them!

Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times
I'm not sure of your situation.

For me, something like this happened at a small company I worked for with about 15 employees.

The owner was a seriously misogynistic putz who was underpaying me. But he knew it and he didn't mean to be such a worm. I outlasted 3 other "assistants" and was the only one left standing doing their work. The office "manager" got knocked up and left for 8 months. When she left, I got her work load too, which meant that it was me and him running the company with the monthly visit from an accountant. That's when he started giving me full health insurance. I didn't pay anything for it. He told me not to worry about it.

So I didn't.

Less than a year or so later, he kicked off leaving the company to his brother and after a month or two of that, the office manager returned.

She wanted me to pay back the health insurance. I told her straight up no, because it was my only recognition for hanging in there despite him referring to me as a "broad" or "girl in the office", having the sales man touch my boobs and doing the job of 4 people, including hers, for 8 months.

She let me keep my free insurance until I finally left the company.

His brother wasn't much better than him.

So depending on the circumstances of your hiring, you may be miscalculating, or they may be offering you a bonus that's not on contract for whatever reason, there may be a mistake, or as someone already pointed out... someone in accounts payable is nicking money.

In any event, you have to let someone above you know. Be it HR, account payable or the hiring manager. If you don't, you will have to pay it back if it turns out you're not entitled to it.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I actually had an employer do this twenty something years ago when I worked in a grocery store during the summer. I reported it to one of my managers. The managers audited everyone. Found out the supervisor doing the payroll was doing this to several of us and was somehow using it to embezzle money. I don't remember if I had to pay the money back.
I've heard about this scam before. No matter what, OP better fess up, and fast. It can only be bad for him/her if he/she doesn't. The best (worst?) thing that happens is it isn't a mistake after all, and OP is a hero just for being honest. Even that's great

Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yes, because if you do not they can ask for it back, and if you do not pay it back they can fire you.

Correction, they can ask for it back and the OP can still get fired.

It is stealing, and someone is going to catch the mistake.

OP, you better figure out it quickly. Is a couple of hundred of dollars worth getting fired for? And you can forget unemployment.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:55 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
It all depends on where you work. This happened to one of my co-wokers for 2 years but this is a union position. When HR called her and said something about re-couping she said the word union and that it was their fault. Her payrate was changed back to what it should have been but nothing was ever said about the money again.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 AM

552 posts, read 834,785 times
hell no, take the money and run...... its their problem.

This happened to me on a reimbursement from my current company. They paid me 3x for the same amount of the reimbursement. They turned around and told me to write a check to pay them back for the mistake. I just ignored it. The finance guy quit a month later, and all is forgotten now ( it's been 3 years now) and i kept the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment