Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times

Advertisements

Was just thinking about this because I found my job of preference within walking distance of my home. This is remarkable in the area I live in, where people typically resign themselves to being in their cars or public transport for an hour or two every day. Fuel between $3-4/ gallon. And my job provides a uniform (massage therapist) so I'll save on wardrobe expenses too.

Yes I've had jobs before that required a commute and nice wardrobe, and then I'd eat out for lunch with co-workers. Money in, money out.

Now my job will just be money in :-)

How about you? Do you try not to think about how much your job costs you? Just factor it in, par for the course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:34 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Travel expenses were about $14,000 last year. That's mileage, parking, tolls, transit. It did not include a couple of business trips since I have a credit card that I charge those expenses to for the one agency I work with that really ever has me travel anywhere for over a day. I typically spend a couple hundred on dry cleaning a year and maybe another couple hundred on wardrobe at this point. It's mostly built so I'm not making any more suit purchases at this point or anything, just the odd tie or dress shirt and socks.

I wouldn't ever consider eating lunch with coworkers a cost of going to work unless you're traveling for more than a day.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:25 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
By far my largest expense is my car, which is used almost exclusively for work. On the weekends it sits in the garage and we use the family van. It would be a nice savings if I could get by with only one car, but it's too impractical. Other than that, about $70 a month on gas, and I doubt I spend $500 a year on clothes.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM

44 posts, read 44,857 times
300 a month on gas.

20 or 30 a month on clothes.

Throw in various vehicle maintenance items like brakes and oil changes.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
It's really tough to calculate.

Direct commuting costs are about $300/month, but that doesn't include wear and tear on the vehicle. I am not sure I would own two cars if I didn't have to go to work, so I would save some more on car payment/maintenance/opportunity cost, plus insurance. Let's say a car costs $400/month in payments, or repairs, or a combination of both.

Clothes probably cost me $1500/year.

I usually bring my lunch, but occasionally I can't be bothered, so call it $50/month extra beyond what I would spend to feed myself at home.

All of that comes to about $10,500 annually. That assumes that I am either not working, or as the OP proposes, I walk to work, come home for lunch, and buy no clothes at all for work.

But if I wasn't working, I would travel more, do some more experimental, exotic cooking, and spend money on a few other hobbies. Those things would cost me just as much in other ways.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I spend about $30 every other month on gas to get to the local park & ride. Then I take the bus, which is subsidized by my employer, so I pay only $15/year for the card. If I need to go somewhere during the day I take a company pool car. I buy my dress shirts at Costco, Dockers or the equivalent when on sale. Based on how long the clothes last, I'd say it costs me maybe $35/month to work.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
My cost for going to work is fairly minimal as there isn't a whole lot of direct cost. A portion of my gas, car maintenance, clothes etc. None of it would go away entirely.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
70 on transit (pre tax)

Clothes? I don't know. $800 a year? $1000? Wait for a Brooks Bros Sale and get it all at once. A pair of shoes a year, or a couple re-soled.

I bring my lunch and breakfast, probably $3 a day on average.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
My big expense is childcare. It actually costs more than half what I make if I factor in the time I have to pay for childcare that I am actually driving to and from work. I've actually started working less and am taking home more money because I've managed not to pay for childcare. My husband spends a lot on gas and lunches, but makes enough to make it worth it.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Like Mnseca said above... Childcare is our biggest cost... if I break it down per month though...

$500 per month childcare
$125 - $150 per month gas
$25 per month wardrobe (maybe once/twice a year I buy a few new things like shirts, pants, socks but I'm good at taking care of my current wardrobe so I rarely have to buy new things)

That's really it... office supplies are bought by the company... lunch is provided by our company in our Team Dining Facilities... so is coffee and other snacks.

Childcare is the real killer.. and as much as my wife right now would love nothing more to work more part-time so she can spend more time with our daughter and spending less on childcare it just doesn't make sense right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment