Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,898 times

Advertisements

i am 14.i have been wanting a job for months but nothing cause my parents will not let me baby sit. i just think i need a little advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
It doesn't matter what we think. There are laws that require a certain age. They probably vary from place to place.

Have you tried pet sitting or mowing lawns for neighbors?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times
Some 14 year olds are mature enough to babysit and I have met a few 14 year olds that can't be left home alone without getting into some type of trouble.

Trust your parents to know what type of 14 year old you are.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 PM

133 posts, read 151,899 times
My advice? Enjoy being young. It's lovely that want to work and want a little independence, but trust me; you will have the rest of your life to work. Adulthood will come sooner than you think.

Try not to keep pressuring mom and dad to let you work. If it's extra money you're after, just ask them. Or see if there's anything you can do for them to earn the money.

You're fourteen, girlfriend! Enjoy your summer! Watch Teen Wolf and go hang out at the pool.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,228,247 times
Offer to do extra chores at home for a bit more pocket money. Maybe they don't think you're mature enough to babysit so show them that you are mature by doing more at home, concentrating harder at school and things like that.

Or just be 14 and enjoy yourself like you're supposed to.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,060,649 times
You are 14. Full social security is now 67. By the time that you retire it probably will be much older.

Do you really want to work for the next fifty-three or more years?

Enjoy being a teen.

If you want to earn a little pocket money perhaps you can do some extra chores around the house for your parents.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-02-2014 at 11:05 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,709,549 times
Each state has a different law on age. I had my first job when I was 14. I believe that is a perfect age to begin, seeing that you are entering high school around that age. Saving for a car, have responsibilities, staying out of trouble (whether that be on the streets or at home) are all good things that come from having a job. They will make you appreciate things a bit more. Good luck.

Apply to summer jobs between grades in high school, most places are wiling to hire you. Try local restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc. Unfortunately, you will be going against middle-aged folks all trying to get the same job.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,352 posts, read 80,679,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Each state has a different law on age. I had my first job when I was 14. I believe that is a perfect age to begin, seeing that you are entering high school around that age. Saving for a car, have responsibilities, staying out of trouble (whether that be on the streets or at home) are all good things that come from having a job. They will make you appreciate things a bit more. Good luck.

Apply to summer jobs between grades in high school, most places are wiling to hire you. Try local restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc. Unfortunately, you will be going against middle-aged folks all trying to get the same job.
The laws have changed a lot since I worked at age 14 peeling potatoes at a restaurant. The school had to sign the permit form and I had to get a food handler's card, and that was it. Now there are many restrictions on the hours and what the minor can do as far as equipment usage. You are at the mercy of your parents, and have to do (or not do) as they say. What is their reason for not letting you babysit? I would suggest that you find a babysitting certification program, we have them through the library, local hospitals, and the Red Cross. You will be well trained and prepared to handle the situations that may come up. You are missing out on good money, babysitters in our area are getting $15/hour.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times
I would never discourage a young person from working. If you are that ambitious, good for you! You are already ahead of most people your age.

There must be reasons your parents do not want you to babysit, and it may have nothing to do with you. Have a conversation with them about what they would allow you to do over the summer. Others have provided you with some suggestions. You could also caddy at a golf course or take on a paper route. Ask your parents to support you in your desire to do something in order to earn some money, and let them know you'll bank a third to one half of what you make. This will let them see you're mature enough to know what to do with money once you've earned it.

Wanting to work to make some money at the age of 14 is admirable and I wish you best of luck.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times
I got a paper route at 13 and went around with a friend at that age door to door shoveling. It's not too young, but opportunities may be limited. By 15 I was doing some caddying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment