Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:29 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times

Advertisements

Perhaps its just me but does anyone think that corporate managers just seem to do as they please - Rarely if ever do you see managers getting fired. They seem to just fire staff around them, pass the buck and blame others - nothing is ever their fault, they avoid responsibilities they don't seem to know the specifics of anything and are somewhat untouchable and above everyone else.

If they do perform really badly, and cause some huge problem most likely they will fire someone on their team, or if its not possible to find a scapegoat they will be reprimanded in private and moved quietly with plenty of notice to another role within the company free to cause more disasters and spreading chaos and dysfunction, or they go and get another job through word of mouth from their friends.

In fact many organisations have had the same managers floating around for years, there all friends and look out for each other while firing new people all the time, they have built them a little niche and will cling to power as long as possible, hopefully until retirement.

Compare that to the lowest levels where people gotten rid of for all sorts of picky reasons.

I am not saying these managers are not under pressure, and working hard - they just seem to get protected/supported by the organisation where as employees are seen as expendable resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Why do you think bad management is an epidemic in some companies? That's right, because no one takes action. It's a top-down model. The bad managers reflect the poor management over them, so and so forth, snowball...

Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
I've not seen this. I've seen people get re-assigned all the time... or they're told they're opportunities for advancement are finite which is effectively being told move on.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Several reasons:

1) Connections: Many get into positions of power via who they know, so it is no surprise that those same people will protect their buddies, regardless of poor performance.

2) Confusing aggressive, sociopath behavior with "leadership": Our culture does this all the time. You get some screaming nut running part of a company, and everyone tip-toes around, claiming that he's "a real go-getter" or "he has to act that way because he has a business to run." It's all apologist nonsense since nothing justifies a person denying facts, picking fights, and otherwise being an all around idiot.

3) Disappearing into the woodwork: This is more common in larger companies and with incompetent leaders who are relatively quiet and useless. They just vanish into the background and nobody in charge ever figures out that they are the cause of the problems.

4) Scapegoats: Common at many companies, the more skilled sociopath manager will have a few scapegoats lied up to take the fall for him when he fails.

Based on my experiences, the above reasons explain why terrible management can last for so long at a company, even when the troublemakers are rather obvious to the workers.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,760 times
Default John Mellencamp said it best...

It's all about AUTHORITY. Authority must be preserved at all costs.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
1. Managers have just enough authority to either conceal a lot of the mistake they made from their boss, or throw their employees under the bus for their mistakes.

2. Connections. No one wants to fire their son, brother or nephew (their own flesh and blood) short of extreme circumstances.

3. The manager of said manager will have to admit they made a huge mistake in promoting said manager to the position, which also makes the manager of said manager look bad to their own manager.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've not seen this. I've seen people get re-assigned all the time... or they're told they're opportunities for advancement are finite which is effectively being told move on.
Not getting promoted or re-assigned is not the same thing as getting fired or demoted

Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
It's all about AUTHORITY. Authority must be preserved at all costs.
This is a valid point and should be on the list:

5) Saving face: In modern corporate America, it is better to fail as part of a team than succeed as an individual. Similarly, it is seen as better to allow idiots to remain in power - thus "proving" that the company knows what it is doing - than remove them from power. Besides - even if the idiot screws things up badly, you can always lay-off some of the working class stiffs to balance the books.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Same here, in fact that's how I got my managerial job, when someone was demoted.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Ive seen some people within middle-upper management positions that have been there for 15-20 years and it just AMAZES me how they were able to last a year much less last decade or more. Real managers that do not understand their job function or the industry in general. You ask them a question or an issue, they can't give you an answer.

Its so sad when you know how many knowledgeable, well educated, hard worker individuals are either out of work or underemployed and these WORTHLESS wastes of space in high paying power positions get to continue on abusing their authorities or walking around like a deer in headlights

Why would you want unprofessional, people that aren't knowledgeable who only real "talent" is butt kissing in those positions. Wouldn't you wan't efficiency, great knowledgeable true Leaders in those positions even if they are a little more hard headed, honest, and not buttkissers but at least give it to your straight instead of just telling you what you want to hear?

You get these useless, clueless waste of space managers with limited knowledge and professionalism that stay on to these positions for YEARS, that should have been either shown the door after a month or better yet, should have never been put in that position anyways.

Well I guess thats why the American Workforce is in the state its in. Im willing to bet 90 percent of those in positions of power in the workforce have no business being in those positions. They aren't qualified, and they managed to attain these positions through no meritocracy at all but either:

1. Nepotism
2. Politics
3. Clique Buddies

etc.

Still. I don't know why the "powers that be" want to endorse an environment like that

Last edited by DorianRo; 06-03-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment