Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:39 PM

211 posts, read 266,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Same way people that go to school full time and work evenings socialize, or intern and work. Loads of people do that. There are weekends (though I often worked then too). 60 hrs is 8-8, then a commute, hit the gym, then you have time at night to go out (we often went out at 10 or 11 or later in my 20s)... up to 2, crash, up at 7 and go. Heck, we went out 5 nights a week atleast. That was pre red bull, mountain dew was my thing.

Not ideal for a 40 or 50 year old, but when you're in your 20s? No problem.
Yeah, 5 hours sleep is really healthy

Btw, 8-8 is more like 55 hours since usually they don't count lunch hour unfortunately. If you work that much, something has to give: Sleep, family, friends, SO, exercise, cooking at home, contributing to society, outside activities like reading, sports, etc. Can't have all that working a lot.

To paraphrase Clinton, "it's the math, stupid".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM

406 posts, read 559,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
Exactly! Plus, when you are young you have to 'prove yourself' anyway so you should WANT to stay however long it takes to ensure your projects are done. Now that you do not have any other responsibilities- significant other, children, etc. (assuming she is single and has no children of course). That is the time to make it happen until you've proven yourself and climbed up the ladder a few times.
The only thing having to work 60 hrs/week proves is that your company doesn't care about your work-life balance or well being. Hope you're being paid hourly...

As others have said, nobody is productive working that many hours.

We recently had a massive outage causing several people to work several hours early in the morning... Our VPs came out and told everyone to work from home, take a nap if you need it and leave early if you need it. That's how a company should treat a worker. If more work needs to be done in a typical week, hire more employees.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:45 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,591 times
It is definitely a huge shock to go from part-time to working like a dog for most of your waking life. That's not even the kind of stress that a single weekend or a single good night's sleep can ever overcome.

I would much rather make a middling salary and know my nerves were safe from harm than kill myself for a higher wage that I wouldn't even be able to enjoy.

I also don't think it's such a good sign that her employer is asking for management advice online-- yeesh.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,103 times
Mpowering is spot on. FORGET THE HOURS. This young woman is shooting herself in the foot right out of the gate by acting like an entitled spoiled brat. She sounds like she has a crappy work ethic and it's starting to really come into play since she ISN'T getting her work done. Period. end of story.

I do not buy the "she's stressed because of her working hours…boo hoo." Cry me a river. The soldiers sitting in the middle eastern desert or the trenches of Europe didn't worry about the hours they worked, they worried about making it through another day. At some point perspective needs to come into play. There is NO WAY she didn't realize what she was getting herself into.

I love the over thinkers on this forum…so entertaining.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post

Btw, 8-8 is more like 55 hours since usually they don't count lunch hour unfortunately. If you work that much, something has to give: Sleep, family, friends, SO, exercise, cooking at home, contributing to society, outside activities like reading, sports, etc. Can't have all that working a lot.

I can't recall taking a lunch hour off when I worked like that.

My god, you're talking like an adult. I'm one too. I sleep 7 hours a night now. But most people in their 20s don't. They're up socializing and partying past midnight, or playing video games or whatever... then they get up and go to work. You're not worrying about how healthy your diet or sleep habits are at 23 or 28... you're thinking about your job/career, the cutie you want to get with, the one you are getting with, the party on Saturday, what band is playing Tuesday, etc etc. Get out of the adult shoes.

They're is always the weekend. Unless, you know, at a start up where most of us went in on the weekends. The building was accessible 24-7.

People in sales, or travelling doing audits, heck, sometimes they're on places / waiting in airports for an additional 12-15 hours a week on top of their work hours... those people somehow manage to have SOs, friends, etc... it's a amazing what people do.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Mpowering is spot on. FORGET THE HOURS. This young woman is shooting herself in the foot right out of the gate by acting like an entitled spoiled brat. She sounds like she has a crappy work ethic and it's starting to really come into play since she ISN'T getting her work done. Period. end of story.

I do not buy the "she's stressed because of her working hours…boo hoo." Cry me a river. The soldiers sitting in the middle eastern desert or the trenches of Europe didn't worry about the hours they worked, they worried about making it through another day. At some point perspective needs to come into play. There is NO WAY she didn't realize what she was getting herself into.

I love the over thinkers on this forum…so entertaining.
Exactly. I would have fired her the next day. No questions, no comments. "Fired". You dump your work on someone else and go out? Hell no. You don't like your job, look for a new one or resign. But you don't dump your work and leave.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,348 times
It sounds like a case of an entitled young worker, against a slave driver. There should be some middle ground in here somewhere...

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post

Oh good LORD. 5 hours sleep was a good night when I was in my 20's. I don't think "getting a healthy amount of sleep" is at the top of a 20 year old's list.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,671 times
If she knows she is going to have dinner with her parents and leave 2 hours early, she should come in 2 hours early and get her work done.

Lots of people at my office do things like leave for a few hours and then come back, or work from home.

But she should have brought this up before rather than just taking off. If someone did that to me I'd be LIVID.

She signed knowing the job was 55 hours/week, she shouldn't have taken it then. That point is not even up for debate.

IMO I'd have told her either follow company policy or you'll have to let her go.

Don't wait too long because the longer you wait the harder it will be.

If I were an employee working 9-7 and seeing someone doing 9-5 I'd want to drop my hours too, so letting her go is important to the morale of the other employees.

If you give her an inch now her performance will continue to decline IMO.

I was let go of a job for less! I was working 60+ hours a week and had to take off a day because of surgery and they gave me hell for it.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:04 PM

390 posts, read 824,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't recall taking a lunch hour off when I worked like that.

My god, you're talking like an adult. I'm one too. I sleep 7 hours a night now. But most people in their 20s don't. They're up socializing and partying past midnight, or playing video games or whatever... then they get up and go to work. You're not worrying about how healthy your diet or sleep habits are at 23 or 28... you're thinking about your job/career, the cutie you want to get with, the one you are getting with, the party on Saturday, what band is playing Tuesday, etc etc. Get out of the adult shoes.

They're is always the weekend. Unless, you know, at a start up where most of us went in on the weekends. The building was accessible 24-7.

People in sales, or travelling doing audits, heck, sometimes they're on places / waiting in airports for an additional 12-15 hours a week on top of their work hours... those people somehow manage to have SOs, friends, etc... it's a amazing what people do.
When I was in my 20s (which wasn't long ago), I certainly did not get by on 5 hours of sleep, and knew few who did. In fact, I tended to sleep about 9 hours a night, more than what sleep now. I used to rent out rooms in a house I had to other students and recent grads, so became pretty familiar with everyone's sleeping habits. Nobody got by on consistently less than six hours of sleep a night, and the ones who slept six hours a night would essentially sleep all day on the weekends to make up for it. Average amount of sleep for a college student is 6-7 hours, not 5, and there are consequences for that. Most people at my house slept between 7 and 10 hours a night, but then again none of us were the party types, we were all more of the geeky types.

University Health Center | Sleep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment