Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times

Advertisements

HR, HR, HR.

And why do you need your boss' permission to discipline your employees? Follow company guidelines for progressive discipline.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
So I am this guys supervisor. He is new only worked 3 months, and he isn't the nicest guy to be around. But what he said the other day REALLY upset me; enough to report him. I was working with him when one of the women walks by, he then starts going off talking about how hot she was, saying she has nice t!ts etc etc. but the worst was when he said "Man, if I could get away with it I would rape the ***** outta her!" I was so disgusted by the comment I went and told my boss, who is female btw. Thinking my boss would do something, but instead she yelled at me saying "Don't bother me with your problems!" WTF??

She then said some other choice words about me not being a tattle tell. I couldn't believe it. I'd think at the least something like that deserves a write up. Thoughts?

Document everything that has happened (specific dates, times, who said what)
Give a copy to your boss
Give a copy to everyone above your boss
Look up the specific definition of Sexual Harrassment and see if this situation fits

Be sure to keep copies of everything and document specific dates and times of all documents that were given and to whom they were given.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
It's a tough situation to be in:

If you do not tell HR and something happens or you report it later down the road HR will be upset with you.

If you do report it and HR speaks with the guy, the guy will know it was you who told on him and the working relationship will be compromised, and will be awkward from that point onward.

I would go with the former, no know wants to work with an immature idiot. Save your own ass, report it to HR.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I know of one similar situation. The female employee ended up being groped after complaining several times about the comments and the company did nothing. The company was sued and lost a whole lot of money. The supervisors who knew and did nothing lost their jobs and left with a bad job reference because they knowingly set the company up to be sued.

Personally, I would put it in writing and float it upstairs. You know, OP, that this employee is a serious potential legal problem for the company and part of your job as supervisor is to protect the company. After it leaves your hands there isn't much you can do unless you have the power to fire. If you can fire, I suggest that you get rid of this potential law suit. Men who think it is funny to joke about rape have a screw loose.

Keep copies of your written reports and complaints.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I am stunned. I bet this guy belonged to a certain frat in college.

As his supervisor why haven't you taken action against him yourself? Your supervisor's comments were completely inappropriate but I wonder if she's frustrated that you're going to her instead of doing your job. That doesn't condone what she said, but it may have played a part in it.

Whatever your policy is for discipline in your company, you need to get the ball rolling today instead of waiting. YOU are responsible for your team - so it's up to you to set the tone and make sure expectations are met and company policy isn't violated. You simply cannot put your head in the sand saying it's not a problem unless a female complains. That's not only unprofessional but irresponsible.

And as others have stated, write up detailed documentation for his file and copy HR on it. Include the dialogue you had with your supervisor, dates, comments, etc. Add to it as time goes on, if you need to do so.

This guy either has no filter/common sense, or there's something wrong with him.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
I was so disgusted by the comment I went and told my boss, who is female btw. Thinking my boss would do something, but instead she yelled at me saying "Don't bother me with your problems!" WTF??

She then said some other choice words about me not being a tattle tell. I couldn't believe it. I'd think at the least something like that deserves a write up. Thoughts?
Sounds like you should follow up with HR. BTW, is "rape dude" your boss's nephew or something?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Ya know, sometimes we guys just have "guy talks" and we do get somewhat non PC at times. It is just what we guys do. If a good looking woman walks by and there are two men, you can bet they are thinking the same thing and might even verbalize it to each other. It is just the way we are programmed.

Let it go, yes, he was a little over the top, but all you had to do was walk away and not give it another thought. If he had said it to her, or touched her, that is a whole nuther story, but he made his comment to another man.

We guys are pigs sometimes and we know it.

Don

Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ya know, sometimes we guys just have "guy talks" and we do get somewhat non PC at times. It is just what we guys do. If a good looking woman walks by and there are two men, you can bet they are thinking the same thing and might even verbalize it to each other. It is just the way we are programmed.

Let it go, yes, he was a little over the top, but all you had to do was walk away and not give it another thought. If he had said it to her, or touched her, that is a whole nuther story, but he made his comment to another man.

Don

Oh, great - there are two of you in the workforce.

There are no excuses for inappropriate behavior. It's unprofessional, disrespectful, and against the law, I might add. If you cannot filter what you say - if you have so little control over your mouth - you have no business working anywhere near women.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM

160 posts, read 241,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
I really couldn't disagree more, and yes, I am a straight male myself.

It's one thing to be party to "non-PC" "guy talks," and it's another thing to mention rape. Furthermore, anyone with half a brain ought to realize that the time and place for "non-PC" "guy talks" is NOT at work. At the very least, the employee was showing extremely poor judgment and unprofessional behavior.

I also concur with the remarks made above which noted that sexual harassment is "any sexually-oriented behavior that is unwelcome and makes you uncomfortable."

Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
So I am this guys supervisor. He is new only worked 3 months, and he isn't the nicest guy to be around. But what he said the other day REALLY upset me; enough to report him. I was working with him when one of the women walks by, he then starts going off talking about how hot she was, saying she has nice t!ts etc etc. but the worst was when he said "Man, if I could get away with it I would rape the ***** outta her!" I was so disgusted by the comment I went and told my boss, who is female btw. Thinking my boss would do something, but instead she yelled at me saying "Don't bother me with your problems!" WTF??

That is not a correct response from a supervisor at all. Report him to HR for sexual harassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment