Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM

70 posts, read 124,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Like other i would not say a word unless asked. I was in a similar situation recently. What i did was tell my new employer that I had received an offer from another company and while I would really rather work for you, I know that one way or another i will have a new job in the next few weeks. Hence, I went ahead and left my current company.
Did the potential employer run a background check and employment verification on you after you were fired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadacheFan View Post
Are you suggesting I tell the potential employer that I was fired during the interview?
Absolutely 100% never reveal you were fired to anyone. Almost noone will hire someone who was fired. On the other hand if It comes up say they found out you were looking and terminated you for it. However most companies will not reveal a termination so say you quit for another job.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:35 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
If this comes up in the recruiting period with the two companies with whom you are interviewing tell them that you believe that someone shared their interest, your manager became upset and terminated your employment. Otherwise I wouldn't mention this event. Carry on as if it never happened.

Subsequently I would indicate on my resume, if necessary, that you were terminated because your manager learned that you were being recruited by others.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:41 PM

389 posts, read 692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You can always say they found out you were interviewing with them and fired you if the company reveals the termination. Most likely it never comes up so just say nothing.
As always, I like the way you think

Old 06-07-2014, 07:35 PM

70 posts, read 124,457 times
I was very anxious with the background check so I ordered a background check for myself with the same company the potential employer is getting the service from. The background check company offers the same reports to an individual and that report will show exactly what a potential employer will see about you. Criminal reports came up within 5 mins ( clean) and it showed my previous address as well as any previous name I used in the past, and it also showed who my current employer was (although it's not an actual employment verification as you have to buy that separately). Just for the heck of it, I bought employment verification separately and I'm waiting for whatever will come up with that. Good sign that employment verification have to be bought separately for each employer so I believe my potential employer did not order for what they believe to be my current work since they told me they wouldn't contact my employer as to not jeopardize my job. There's no reason for me to think that they would lie.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
It would have been cheaper to just have Allison Taylor or some other place call your company as a reference checker. Or heck you could just have a friend or family member do it.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 PM

624 posts, read 763,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Also make sure you have record of the dates that things occurred, of it ever does come up(and maybe some documents that prove the timeline)

Interviewed with new company: June 5th
Let go from old company: June 6th

You don't want them to think you lied during the interview
Exactly. And one would hope they would be understanding about why OP might not want to say anything.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:36 AM

461 posts, read 922,712 times
Quote:
I was interviewed yesterday for a position from a competitor company ( same position, better salary and what seemed to be a good we'll run organization), I knew I am getting the job, it's just a matter of when. However, I was fired today by my current employer for a mistake my subordinate did- but as a manager, I was ultimately responsible. Anyway, today, (same day of my termination) I received an email from the potential employer's recruiter about consenting a background check and she also indicates that since I m still employed by my current company, that she will not contact my current employer so as not to jeopardize my job.- I replied with "appreciate your courtesy and thank you" - I know that I'm getting this job because the hiring manager actually called me directly and told me about the position, however they still need to do their process prior to hiring me- but since I got sacked from my job today- should I inform this potential employer that I was let go today?
Have to say, the way you took responsibility for the sub-ordinate and don't seem to be holding a grudge makes me respect you OP.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You can always say they found out you were interviewing with them and fired you if the company reveals the termination. Most likely it never comes up so just say nothing.
This seems like the best route. Definitely don't lie about no longer working there if it comes up, but regardless of what the former company says is the reason that they fired you, you can always say that you suspect it's because you let them know that you were interviewing elsewhere.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
I was interviewed yesterday for a position from a competitor company ( same position, better salary and what seemed to be a good we'll run organization), I knew I am getting the job, it's just a matter of when. However, I was fired today by my current employer for a mistake my subordinate did- but as a manager, I was ultimately responsible. Anyway, today, (same day of my termination) I received an email from the potential employer's recruiter about consenting a background check and she also indicates that since I m still employed by my current company, that she will not contact my current employer so as not to jeopardize my job.- I replied with "appreciate your courtesy and thank you" - I know that I'm getting this job because the hiring manager actually called me directly and told me about the position, however they still need to do their process prior to hiring me- but since I got sacked from my job today- should I inform this potential employer that I was let go today?
Keep your mouth shut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment