Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,472 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if HR managers expect entry level employees to negotiate the salary that they were offered. Is there a range that the HR manager operates in or do they generally offer a price that is not up for negotiation? I was offered a job in Manhattan making 47k (+benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, and even paying for part of my phone bill each month). I was going to attempt to negotiate closer to 50k. I am not sure how well this will go over. I don't want to lose the job offer. Do they expect college grads with not much experience in their field (other than school) to negotiate? Does anyone have experience with this. Boosting my salary even a little will help in the long run.

Last edited by Flyers600; 06-08-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,352,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers600 View Post
I was wondering if HR managers expect entry level employees to negotiate the salary that they were offered. Is there a range that the HR manager operates in or do they generally offer a price that is not up for negotiation? I was offered a job in Manhattan making 47k (+benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, and even paying for part of my phone bill each month). I was going to attempt to negotiate closer to 50k. I am not sure how well this will go over. I don't want to lose the job offer. Do they expect college grads with not much experience in their field (other than school) to negotiate? Does anyone have experience with this. Boosting my salary even a little will help in the long run.
I don't think there is much room for negotiation for entry level. But 50k is reasonable.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,537 posts, read 81,025,451 times
It depends on the company, and what they might consider entry level. We are able to negotiate from the starting point to midpoint of the range for any position. At a past place, everyone had to start at the bottom of the range
and wait until after passing the 6 month probation to move up one step in the range.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Both of my kids negotiated salary when offered their first full-time job coming out of school. One got $2K more and the other got $2,500 more.

Unless they say, "This is our firm offer" or "We do not negotiate", I think it's almost expected that people will try to negotiate more. If you cannot get a higher salary, is there a signing bonus or more vacation days you can get? Sometimes companies will provide you with either one of those instead of a higher base salary.

Be careful how you approach this, though. You cannot say, "I'm willing to take it for $50K." You should say, "Is there's any room for negotiation? I was thinking the position was probably closer to $50K."

Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,110,935 times
If you have an in-demand degree like technology, you will have more sway. Otherwise, you might be able swing $1-2k more. If they really like you, they will go for it.

$3k isn't going to break their budget. For entry level, HR has you at the bottom of their scale. $50k may still be within range.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Both of my kids negotiated salary when offered their first full-time job coming out of school. One got $2K more and the other got $2,500 more.

Unless they say, "This is our firm offer" or "We do not negotiate", I think it's almost expected that people will try to negotiate more. If you cannot get a higher salary, is there a signing bonus or more vacation days you can get? Sometimes companies will provide you with either one of those instead of a higher base salary.

Be careful how you approach this, though. You cannot say, "I'm willing to take it for $50K." You should say, "Is there's any room for negotiation? I was thinking the position was probably closer to $50K."
Thanks! I am just a little hesitant because this position was for 1 person (others I am applying for are for multiple candidates) and they happened to choose me. I am really interested but think I should be getting a bit more. Don't wanna lose the offer completely or have them go to the next person in line.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers600 View Post
Thanks! I am just a little hesitant because this position was for 1 person (others I am applying for are for multiple candidates) and they happened to choose me. I am really interested but think I should be getting a bit more. Don't wanna lose the offer completely or have them go to the next person in line.
If you don't feel comfortable negotiating at this point, then don't. If you feel it could cost you this opportunity, it isn't worth risking just to get another two thousand dollars. Accept it and don't look back.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM

Also, if you haven't already done so, ask what the career path is and what the timeframe is. My younger one who had the first job for eighteen months was promoted in that first company after a year.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 PM

158 posts, read 273,205 times
it doesn't hurt to negotiate, at all. It doesn't look bad on your end. It shows that you are willing to stand up for yourself and that you value your work. I have negotiated salary at every job I've had (which is 3 professional jobs, after college), and the only time I didn't win was my first one. But I still tried. Still got the job, though. Once they pick you, they aren't going to un-pick you because you asked for more money, unless you do it in a negative way or you say you won't take less than x.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM

318 posts, read 949,979 times
They will not drop the offer just because you show an interest in negotiating. The opportunity cost would be too high for them.

You can broach the subject and if you meet heavy resistance upfront, then back down and accept what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment