Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:22 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times

Advertisements

It was not a smart move drinking there. It easily raises concern in a managers mind if he will see it fit to drink on the job, and that brings all sorts of liabilities up in regard to the workplace. Other then that, I have seen and heard stranger things with people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This highlights some inflammatory, edge case of an idiotic job seekers, and trying to paint most job seekers with this brush. It's not accurate, truthful, and stuff like this is borderline trolling, even if it's true.
Yep - it's nothing but another case of "I met one job seeker who was clueless, so clearly they all are and the economy is fine and if you're out of work, it's your own fault."

Reminds me of that goofy thread a few weeks back about the "engineer" who "smokes and drinks" who the OP met "at a bar" and refused his offer of a painting job... yeah, not only was that unlikely to have happened, why would anyone accept a random job offered to them by somebody they've never met in a bar?!

If this story is true, yeah, the guy clearly wasn't thinking, but that hardly means that most job seekers are like that.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
^^^^ This

Yeah, there are people out there that are not too bright. Same can be said of employers as well. Broad brush....
Exactly. There are a lot of stupid people out there. Job seekers, employers, and I have even seen stupid people in great jobs who got the job because they either knew someone or slept with someone. I have also seen stupid people in lousy jobs like the waitress I dealt with who was yapping on her cell phone while taking my order. She didn't get a tip because you just don't do that. Even if the service was mediocre at best, I would have tipped her, but she didn't care about her job and therefore didn't deserve a tip.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 AM

406 posts, read 559,507 times
The thread title was created in hyperbole because of how shocking it was to me to encounter this... I do not literally believe or meant to convey that all job seekers are like this.

The intention was to share my experience of a ridiculous event as I'm sure anyone with some common sense would find it equally outrageous.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
The thread title was created in hyperbole because of how shocking it was to me to encounter this... I do not literally believe or meant to convey that all job seekers are like this.

The intention was to share my experience of a ridiculous event as I'm sure anyone with some common sense would find it equally outrageous.
Anyone with commons sense would find it outrageous, and while I'm sure something like this occurs somewhere, we seem to get way more posts about this here than you'd ever see as a percentage of the general job hunting public.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Today I stopped by Chili's after a day of yard work on the way to the grocery store to grab a much deserved cold beer... I'm sitting at the bar when a mid-20s, very small framed, clean cut guy in a polo walks up to the bar and inquires about what's on tap.

He orders two-for-one mugs of "dose eh kays", translation: dos equis. A few minutes pass and I happen to notice him filling out some sort of an application at the bar. No big deal.

However, several minutes later, a man from the kitchen comes walking out clearly searching for someone. It's the guy with the beers and the application.

It takes me a couple of seconds to process what I had just seen, mixed with the clear "WTF?" look of the employee searching for the man as he stared directly at his two beers, for me to realize what I had just witnessed...

A person with a scheduled interview at Chilis sat down at the bar and was drinking on two beers directly before his interview, in plain sight, at the place he was interviewing.... WOW! The balls...

The other bar patrons took immediate notice and commented on the matter to the bartender as soon as he walked away to interview.

In no exaggeration, the interview lasted less than four minutes. The man was back at the bar, finished his beer, made a point to thank every staff member for their time, and walked out...

I'm sorry, but what the heck is wrong with people?
maybe he was trying to convey to his interviewer that he should be hired because he drinks the same beer as the "most interesting man in the world".

Old 06-09-2014, 12:29 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
yes exactly. the title of this thread is misleading. not all mid 20s behave this way.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
yes exactly. the title of this thread is misleading. not all unemployed behave this way.
I fixed it. I don't think it is a millennial thing, more of another I've seen one stupid job seeker, I've seen 'em all generalization.

Most people aren't that dense but it doesn't surprise me that there are. I wouldn't even take virgin(non-alcoholic) pina colladas that were offered a job fair because it isn't professional and I like pina colladas. I just know not to be doing things like that when job searching.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:05 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
I interviewed a young woman for a bank teller job. She told me that she hoped she didn't have to open an account because she liked the credit union. Uh, See ya!

Old 06-09-2014, 05:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
I interviewed a young woman for a bank teller job. She told me that she hoped she didn't have to open an account because she liked the credit union. Uh, See ya!
This sounds silly to me but as I said, not surprising. I think it is more a stupidity thing that anyone of any age could do. Millennials just have it happen more often because they are less experienced in what to say when job seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment