Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 PM

406 posts, read 559,406 times

Advertisements

Today I stopped by Chili's after a day of yard work on the way to the grocery store to grab a much deserved cold beer... I'm sitting at the bar when a mid-20s, very small framed, clean cut guy in a polo walks up to the bar and inquires about what's on tap.

He orders two-for-one mugs of "dose eh kays", translation: dos equis. A few minutes pass and I happen to notice him filling out some sort of an application at the bar. No big deal.

However, several minutes later, a man from the kitchen comes walking out clearly searching for someone. It's the guy with the beers and the application.

It takes me a couple of seconds to process what I had just seen, mixed with the clear "WTF?" look of the employee searching for the man as he stared directly at his two beers, for me to realize what I had just witnessed...

A person with a scheduled interview at Chilis sat down at the bar and was drinking on two beers directly before his interview, in plain sight, at the place he was interviewing.... WOW! The balls...

The other bar patrons took immediate notice and commented on the matter to the bartender as soon as he walked away to interview.

In no exaggeration, the interview lasted less than four minutes. The man was back at the bar, finished his beer, made a point to thank every staff member for their time, and walked out...

I'm sorry, but what the heck is wrong with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:36 PM

469 posts, read 637,423 times
Wow...and the guy with the beers still has no clue that he did something wrong.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Well, the place does sell beer, right? What kind of job was he interviewing for? I don't see that it was necessarily wrong. Maybe he wanted to drink a couple of beers. Does that make him unemployable?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Today I stopped by Chili's after a day of yard work on the way to the grocery store to grab a much deserved cold beer... I'm sitting at the bar when a mid-20s, very small framed, clean cut guy in a polo walks up to the bar and inquires about what's on tap.

He orders two-for-one mugs of "dose eh kays", translation: dos equis. A few minutes pass and I happen to notice him filling out some sort of an application at the bar. No big deal.

However, several minutes later, a man from the kitchen comes walking out clearly searching for someone. It's the guy with the beers and the application.

It takes me a couple of seconds to process what I had just seen, mixed with the clear "WTF?" look of the employee searching for the man as he stared directly at his two beers, for me to realize what I had just witnessed...

A person with a scheduled interview at Chilis sat down at the bar and was drinking on two beers directly before his interview, in plain sight, at the place he was interviewing.... WOW! The balls...

The other bar patrons took immediate notice and commented on the matter to the bartender as soon as he walked away to interview.

In no exaggeration, the interview lasted less than four minutes. The man was back at the bar, finished his beer, made a point to thank every staff member for their time, and walked out...

I'm sorry, but what the heck is wrong with people?
That one guy doesn't represent all job seekers.

Just as the foolish employers who call people in for interviews without even reviewing their resumes don't represent all employers.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:56 PM

336 posts, read 589,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Well, the place does sell beer, right? What kind of job was he interviewing for? I don't see that it was necessarily wrong. Maybe he wanted to drink a couple of beers. Does that make him unemployable?
Some people think he does not care about making a good first impression. Others might think he doesn't take this position seriously. Even if he knew the guy interviewing him, it's not appropriate to be drinking when you go in for an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Just as the foolish employers who call people in for interviews without even reviewing their resumes don't represent all employers.
This.

When I interviewed for a job, I talked to three people (1 in person, 2 on the phone) before doing an on-site interview.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
The guy is not applying for a position at IBM, Google, or Chase Bank. He obviously is not serious and has "no clue".

Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
It makes him unemployable because it exhibits a lack of common sense and professionalism.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:10 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
He ain't even getting a job at McDonald's. A McDonald's hiring manager has a stack of applicants in their database, that won't be drinking in front of him. That's the bottom of the barrel for jobs.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Yes, this guy is not too bright and someone should tip him off, but that's not a trend. Of the 50+ people I have interviewed in the last 3 years ago I had two (in a row) for one job that struck me as not having the brains to come in from the rain. One of our questions was "What makes you the best person for this job?" and both answered something like "I'm probably not the best person for the job." The only other problem I have had recently was someone being 20 minutes late without offering an apology or reason.
Luckily, we don't sell beer.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
I was interviewing a guy one time, he asked me if we could hurry up because he was double parked outside.

I wished him well, showed him the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment