U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 AM

8,178 posts, read 12,370,569 times

Advertisements

There is a company near me that makes soda dupes. A lot of flavor companies duplicate other companies flavors. I don't believe Pepsi gets anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,279,366 times
Folks, I know of one reason that contractors and temps are treated differently -- not saying that its the reason where you're working.

Within the last 15 years or so, a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of temps and contractors at a mid-sized employer (2,000+ employees and a whole bunch of temps and contractors) resulted in a ruling something like "a clear boundary must exist between regular employees and those who are employed on a temporary or contract basis. Temporary or contract employees can only work for (forgot how many) hours before being hired as a regular employee."

My words aren't exact, but they're close. The impact of this ruling spread like supersonic ripples in a pond.

The central issue in this lawsuit had to do with temporary and contract employees being used instead of "regular" employees, so the employer could avoid having to pay out benefits. Those specifically mentioned/used in the proceedings had been temps or contractors for many, MANY years. On a daily basis, both bosses and co-workers treated them like they were 'part of the family' (my words), but they got no benefits whatsoever. The temps and contract employees began to believe they were being taken advantage of.

Apparently the court agreed with them.

-- Nighteyes

Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 AM

5,308 posts, read 5,676,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I thought you got fired the other day.
So did I. Confusing.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:13 AM

331 posts, read 438,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
So did I. Confusing.
My contract was discontinued, but it still goes until the end of this month and they're trying to get me on another team.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 AM

32,721 posts, read 29,939,003 times
Mgrs cannot even talk shop to contractors in my work and therefor a clear boundary has been set in the building. As far as other things that could lead to harsh feelings. These contractors hogged ALL the parking close to the building even though they were rarely in it. They would swap their trucks for the cars during the day and take the spot again at night effectively blocking all parking anywhere close. FTEs carrying daily things like laptops would have to lug them from the far lots. This finally ended in a change where the contractors got marked spots in the far lot. Contractors are motivated by money. Their numbers are included in overall numbers so it makes the FTEs look bad and forces them to play off each other. There is a gradual shift to Contractors as they aren't as expensive and many times fired FTEs have to come back as Contract labor without the bennies. The Contractors would pack the gym at peak hours and that was classified as a benny and many FTEs complained until they were blocked access.

Just sayin there are many things that cause a riff between the two.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
My contract was discontinued, but it still goes until the end of this month and they're trying to get me on another team.
Ahhhh. That explains it.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 AM

I worked as a contractor at a Big Pharma company for a brief while that actually went out of their way to try to make the contractors, of which there were more of in IT than there were FTEs, feel welcome. They operated this way for years until they decided to offshore everything to India. Their entire IT operation went to Bangalore and almost all of the contractors and FTEs lost their jobs. Many of the FTEs were transferred to other positions, especially management. Contractors got booted. A few remain in jobs that require hands-on work. They were the top IT employer in that region and the opportunities vanished almost overnight.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM

20,879 posts, read 15,182,531 times
I worked as a contractor for three firms, and I saw plenty of contractors on the other assignments except my most recent position.

Restrictions on where employees can go are often for other reasons that contractor status. I worked for a defense contractor and one area of that building had a data center where classified data went through. This was restricted to only the handful of people with security clearances. It still wouldn't surprise me that some areas would be restricted to contractors just for the hell of it though.

The coffee thing is weird. The only places I've worked where open food/drink was not for consumption if it was available is if it was for a client.

None of this surprises me, but the coffee thing is strange.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:44 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,060,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I worked as a contractor at a Big Pharma company for a brief while that actually went out of their way to try to make the contractors, of which there were more of in IT than there were FTEs, feel welcome. They operated this way for years until they decided to offshore everything to India. Their entire IT operation went to Bangalore and almost all of the contractors and FTEs lost their jobs. Many of the FTEs were transferred to other positions, especially management. Contractors got booted. A few remain in jobs that require hands-on work. They were the top IT employer in that region and the opportunities vanished almost overnight.
I used to work for a large pharma company as a contractor and they tested their contractors just s well. We'd get invited to all the parties and there would be no differentiation from us and FTEs except for the color of our badges.

But then they got sued. That lawsuit brought the government in and things got hairy.

Employers are doing the right thing by differentiating the way they treat contractors vs employees. OP... Your employer has it right. We should commend them.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 AM

8,178 posts, read 12,370,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
The central issue in this lawsuit had to do with temporary and contract employees being used instead of "regular" employees, so the employer could avoid having to pay out benefits. Those specifically mentioned/used in the proceedings had been temps or contractors for many, MANY years. On a daily basis, both bosses and co-workers treated them like they were 'part of the family' (my words), but they got no benefits whatsoever. The temps and contract employees began to believe they were being taken advantage of.

Apparently the court agreed with them.

-- Nighteyes
And that is the primary reason many companies are using temps/contractors, to rip workers off of benefits, put them in accounting as a variable business expense rather than "head countt labor" and be able to fire them with one phone call. Given the fact that not only are the workers not compensated for the fact they don't get benefits (because then agencies which act like pimps are taking a huge chunk of what should be their pay) they are even paid less than direct employees performing the same tasks. There is no other way to look at this other than a particularly nasty for of labor abuse.

I worked nearly 3 years like that and I know others who worked longer because so many companies are doing that in my field and throughout STEM that it is tough to find anything better. It is one of the reasons there is such high levels of discontent in my profession and why I would never allow anyone else in my family to pursue a career in it.

The only upside it the ACA will likely at least force those parasite agencies to provide healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment