Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And that is the primary reason many companies are using temps/contractors, to rip workers off of benefits, put them in accounting as a variable business expense rather than "head countt labor" and be able to fire them with one phone call. Given the fact that no only are the workers not compensated for the fact they don't get benefits (because then agencies which act like pimps are taking a huge chunk of what should be their pay) they are even paid less than direct employees performing the same tasks. There is no other way to look at this other than a particularly nasty for of labor abuse.

I worked nearly 3 years like that and I know others who worked longer because so many companies are doing that in my field and throughout STEM that it is tough to find anything better. It is one of the reasons there is such high levels of discontent in my profession and why I would never allow anyone else in my family to pursue a career in it.

The only upside it the ACA will likely at least force those parasite agencies to provide healthcare.
Some already provided it, but at the wages the pay, it is usually grossly unaffordable and of low quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The only upside it the ACA will likely at least force those parasite agencies to provide healthcare.
Linking healthcare to employers it perhaps the worst part about ACA. We've effectively taken a step backwards. The quality of health insurance should not depend on being employed.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Probably from a local chemical and bottling/canning factory. The list of ingredients is on most of the stuff we buy except for farm fresh produce grown by local growers. There are hundreds of soft drink manufacturers in our country with many local brands that are local favorites.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
LOL. I have been a contractor at many companies, and find that most companies treat contractors as equal team members for most things.

I remember at one company I was a contactor...the company was awesome and the only thing contactors couldn't do was use the company fitness center because of liabilities.

But there was this peer on another team...he would get irrate when the company brought in sandwiches or brownies for the teams at various times. He would say loudly that the contactors shouldn't get that food. But he was just a low level scmuck and had no say in this. The managers told EVERYONE to help themselves to the food and it was for the team for various project goals that were met. This guy was a tool. He got irrate one day and quit on the spot. I was slightly worried he might come back and go postal. But he never did.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
The OP sounds phony ("FTE only" signs on the coffee machine? yeah right...)

If it's real, you are doing it wrong.

I was a contractor for many years and the only difference between me and the other people was that I made three times as much money.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
LOL. I have been a contractor at many companies, and find that most companies treat contractors as equal team members for most things.

I remember at one company I was a contactor...the company was awesome and the only thing contactors couldn't do was use the company fitness center because of liabilities.

But there was this peer on another team...he would get irrate when the company brought in sandwiches or brownies for the teams at various times. He would say loudly that the contactors shouldn't get that food. But he was just a low level scmuck and had no say in this. The managers told EVERYONE to help themselves to the food and it was for the team for various project goals that were met. This guy was a tool. He got irrate one day and quit on the spot. I was slightly worried he might come back and go postal. But he never did.
Wow.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post

I was a contractor for many years and the only difference between me and the other people was that I made three times as much money.
I worked in a call center that used a lot of contractors, and while the coffee machine sign is extreme, his general point of contractors being treated like garbage in some institutions is not.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post

Pepsi had that when I worked there though not on stuff like coffee machines they didn't go quite that far as to ban us from break room stuff. The signs they had read like All events are for Pepsico employees only.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I find this kind of thing despicable. I remember one time telling my assistant to be sure to include three women when sending out the invitations to the Christmas party. She said, "But they're temporary!" I said, "We're ALL temporary!" These three women who worked as hard as any of the employees were shocked to be included, which I found sad. Now I know why.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Yep they excluded us from the Christmas party. That is why I have no sympathy from companies that complain about shortages and recruiting/retention problems. They are most often the ones that p*ss good talent aways and treat/pay their workers like excrement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment