Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwalker View Post
@Boosane, it's simple, I work on some Saturdays and I take a day in the week off for it, I just coordinate that day off for the interview. Even if that weren't possible there would be another way. By your logic, no one in a full time job would ever be able to find another job? I don't think that is what you are trying to tell me.
Oh okay thanks. I forgot banks are open on Saturdays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,965,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The fact that you didn't mention anything about looking for and interviewing for another job to your manager in the first place, should tell you something. Not that I think it's a bad thing, in fact I think one should never tell current employer about current job searches or interviews. Only time you should mention anything is if you decide to take the job and put in your 2 week notice.
This. I want to make it clear that I read the part where you stated that you were approached by the manager of another branch and that you didn’t actually go out looking for a job. But even if you explain that part to your manager; its not going to go over well with her.

This of it like this: Let’s say you’re a married man. One day you’re out without your wife. All of a sudden a very obvious "lady of the night" approaches you with a "proposition."

So you ask her how much it will cost and then after she answers you tell her no thanks. Now feeling like you were loyal to your wife, you happily run back home and tell your wife the whole story. You proudly tell your wife how you turned down this “lady” because of your undying devotion. The first thing your wife is going to ask you is "If you’re so loyal to me, why did you have to ask her how much it would cost before saying no????"

That’s exactly what your manager is going to think when you tell her your story about staying "loyal" to the company.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
I would not mention it to my supervisor. I think it would backfire. If she thinks you are looking for other employment, she might not work so hard to get you a raise next year. I don't think she would think you were being loyal to the company. The fact that you went on an interview in the first place shows that you are not as loyal as you think.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I would not mention it to my supervisor. I think it would backfire. If she thinks you are looking for other employment, she might not work so hard to get you a raise next year. I don't think she would think you were being loyal to the company. The fact that you went on an interview in the first place shows that you are not as loyal as you think.
^^^^ My sentiments exactly.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
The mere fact that you went for the interview can be a concern about your stability/loyalty there to your boss, and telling co-workers was a bad idea too. Now you almost have to tell the boss before the others do. I doubt it's going to help you get ahead there, though. Perhaps throw in something about how looking elsewhere made you appreciate your current situation even more.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Bad idea. You aren't loyal if you are interviewing, you have one foot out the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment