Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,498,679 times

Advertisements

computer scientist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,743,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Librarian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
If you are methodical, something like technical service librarian (catalog the books and similar) would be good. Or archivist, though in that case you have to not mind tossing around heavy boxes of papers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Shy and introverted people are at a disadvantage everywhere, almost no matter the career.

But I guess one that would be good would be librarian.

Nix on the librarian, since you need AT MINIMUM a Master's Degree - plus a "shy introvert" would be eaten alive in a public library. I've had to break up fights between adults, assist lost children, enforce rules with mucho resistance, and most of all, we're talking to strangers all day every day. People often think we sit around quietly reading, when neither peace & quiet nor reading are generally parts of the job. Maybe a cataloger or archivist would fit their personality, but again, the OP said "no more than a 4-year degree." So they wouldn't even get past the application for any librarian position.

Funny, I just knew someone would suggest this! People think of us as the quiet/shy types, when in reality we're usually quite the opposite (at least public librarians). Not to mention, I know how few people realize the educational requirements for our profession.

Quote:
You don't have to worry about being too demonstrative or moving up the ladder.
What does this mean, exactly? There are many opportunities for advancement within the field, and while that isn't necessary, many (possibly most) in the profession hope to move up the ladder eventually. I'm not particularly interested in management myself, but the difference in salary for upper management vs "journey level" is HUGE - often double what us regular librarians make! So if the OP is looking to make a good salary, supervising positions would almost definitely be a goal.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-11-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 09:22 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,124,125 times
My suggestions would be Accounting, Engineering Information Technology Web Designer

Old 06-11-2014, 11:14 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,855,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think you still don't quite what separates something you could be good at from something you are good at. Psychologists get paid to be non-judgmental, caring, and concerned--they're paid to diagnose and treat mental health problems. Certainly being non-judgmental, caring, and concerned helps them do that, but that's not where they add value.

It sounds like you've got a good foundation for becoming a psychologist, but do you have what it takes to become one? Like you said, you're not sure you're willing to spend 6 more years in school, so it might not be the right choice for you. It's not clear if you've got an undergraduate degree already (and if so, in what) or are asking for ideas on what to pursue at the undergraduate level, but practicing psychologists generally need six years of training in addition to their undergraduate education.

So, if you're looking for a career in the immediate future that doesn't require additional education but does pay well, you have to determine what skills you have that are in low-enough supply that people are willing to pay you well. Actuary work is mentally challenging and can be both difficult and tedious, so the available applicant pool is relatively small, driving up salaries.

If you're looking for a job you could train for with an undergraduate degree, that is a slightly different question. It would be helpful to understand what special skills you have that might differentiate you to a future employer.

I don't have an undergraduate degree. I don't have a degree.
I'm starting from square one.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 PM

188 posts, read 249,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Are you an introvert? I think people have a misunderstanding of what makes introverts uncomfortable. Being shy could mean that the person will have trouble communicating, but not being an introvert. Plenty of introverts are capable of communicating very well. I'm a strong introvert and people sense it immediately, but I'm always commended for my communication skills. Psychology is not a bad career for introverts because it's usually done one-on-one, and you build a deep, doctor-patient relationship. Introverts are great at listening to people, which is an essential characteristic for a psychologist to have. Everyone is different, but the types of jobs I hated were service jobs where I had to deal with large numbers of the public. I also hate small talk like just about every introvert. Psychologists talk with a purpose, and introverts love having deep, intellectual conversations.
^^^ This.

I considered being a psychologist myself but I empathize overly well and would worry about the responsibility of helping a fragile person. I couldn't hear a story of some injustice done to a patient without getting unnerved and even compelled to *make it right*. I'm an introvert with lacks shyness in most situations but, I have a lot of hypersensitivity which is also a big issue.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nix on the librarian, since you need AT MINIMUM a Master's Degree - plus a "shy introvert" would be eaten alive in a public library. I've had to break up fights between adults, assist lost children, enforce rules with mucho resistance, and most of all, we're talking to strangers all day every day. People often think we sit around quietly reading, when neither peace & quiet nor reading are generally parts of the job. Maybe a cataloger or archivist would fit their personality,
Right, my mom was a librarian once, also an archivist. The first was much more social, it also depends what type of neighborhood you're in. Archiving was more doable for an introvert. Try looking at some government jobs at OPM.gov and see what type of jobs requiring just your 4-year degree look appealing to you.

Government office jobs are the quiet, admin busywork of corporate life that I was drawn to, in a more casual, non-corporate, non-competitive, no-attitude-needed setting where pay increases etc are automatic based on plain facts like project life/years/attendance record. Much less schmoozing necessary. Plus, can you say *pension*?

Last edited by wheretomove2014; 06-12-2014 at 12:57 AM..

Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 AM

17 posts, read 160,424 times
My $.02 on the topic is to go into something you think you would enjoy. I'm just like you - very reserved, very introverted, and can actually even have a little bit of social avoidance. I'm going to school for MIS (management information systems) because it's an interesting field for me. Prior to switching my major 2 yrs ago I was a psychology major. Like you, I didn't want to have to do grad school for a decent job given I'm 33. I've have HR and sales jobs previously which I enjoyed but they burnt me out. All of the social interaction drained me. I'd end up passing out the minute I got home. Not a good fit. I think with MIS it will yield more options which are less people focused.

Lastly, to the poster who suggested therapy for introversion, unless OP is dealing with some other underlying issue that I missed (social anxiety or something), it's perfectly normal and healthy to be an introvert. Google it. It's it's not a disorder or a condition. It's simply a dimension of ones personality.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace325 View Post
I'm just like you - very reserved, very introverted, and can actually even have a little bit of social avoidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace325 View Post
All of the social interaction drained me. I'd end up passing out the minute I got home. Not a good fit. I think with MIS it will yield more options which are less people focused.
Oh I forgot to add one of the most obvious for introverts, creatives and eccentrics- WRITER. And surprised no one else mentioned it. Not the best paying career, however there is copywriting, business writing and technical writing. They all pay better than the other forms of writing and if you are good at it you can make a decent middle class salary. Best of all you can teach yourself or take online classes- even not worry about completing a college degree (like stupid ol' me).

Further, if you consult or freelance, you can avoid almost every one of the energy-sapping, anxiety-producing social elements (job interviews, meetings, employee review, "water cooler" discussions where you feel left out or not good enough, etc) that a salaried office job requires. And because you get to choose your projects unlike salaried jobs and aren't expecting a very long-term relationship including a changing job description but simply a clear contract, you feel more comfortable when you *do* interact socially via skype or with clients and potentials. That itself helps lead to increased success.

For me, the advantages of freelancing haven't been "work your own hours" and "live where you want" as much as "be your own boss".

Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,889,131 times
Not a good paying job but I was never smart enough for college so I have been just stocking shelves on the night shift for a local retailer. I'm horrifically socially retarded and awkward with people and don't have a outgoing or charismatic personality. Being that I show up for work and actually do work I was offered daytime and even management positions but have always turned them down. I practically live in poverty but that is the consequence of my issues.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Not a good paying job but I was never smart enough for college so I have been just stocking shelves on the night shift for a local retailer. I'm horrifically socially retarded and awkward with people and don't have a outgoing or charismatic personality. Being that I show up for work and actually do work I was offered daytime and even management positions but have always turned them down. I practically live in poverty but that is the consequence of my issues.
I am sorry.. I bet that you could probably do very well in management however, perhaps they'd work with you in terms of not overwhelming you with social responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment