Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Let's say you get laid off and the only employment you are able to find are low paying jobs, $10/hr and under. You can't find anything else, but these kinds of jobs seem to be in abundance. What would you choose out of the below jobs? Or come up with your own!

1) Fast food cook
2) Cashier (anywhere)
3) Restaurant staff (nontipped)
4) Janitor
5) Farm worker
6) Abattoir
7) Sales associate
8) Stock room
9) Warehouse
10) Call center
A farm worker because at some point you will learn what you need to know to run a farm. Then you can just go out into the woods and just live off the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM

144 posts, read 264,189 times
I'm surprised not many opted for warehouse as it might be the only job on that list where overtime is available. There are plenty of companies that already pay $15/hr for general dock work and forklift experience. You can't quite say the same for putting on uniform, nametag, and cheap smile to ask "How may I help you today?" over and over again. But I suppose most people find that easier to deal with than getting their hands dirty.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:13 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Probably ware house or stock room even though I am a small female. Just sick of having customers treat me like I am less than human these days.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Some of the best times I ever have were working as a retail clerk at a major bookstore. Crappy pay, but great company and access to an insane number of books. 15 years after I worked there, I still have a lot of friends from that time.

Otherwise, I'd probably take a warehouse job or something with a grocery chain.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Call Center

Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Let's say you get laid off and the only employment you are able to find are low paying jobs, $10/hr and under. You can't find anything else, but these kinds of jobs seem to be in abundance. What would you choose out of the below jobs? Or come up with your own!

1) Fast food cook
2) Cashier (anywhere)
4) Janitor
5) Farm worker
6) Abattoir
7) Sales associate
8) Stock room
9) Warehouse
10) Call center
Whichever one had the best chance for advancement.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
I'm surprised not many opted for warehouse as it might be the only job on that list where overtime is available. There are plenty of companies that already pay $15/hr for general dock work and forklift experience. You can't quite say the same for putting on uniform, nametag, and cheap smile to ask "How may I help you today?" over and over again. But I suppose most people find that easier to deal with than getting their hands dirty.
I suggest you give working at a convenience store a try. If you think that cashiers don't get their hands dirty, you'll be quickly disabused of that notion.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
1) Fast food cook
2) Cashier (anywhere)
4) Janitor
5) Farm worker
6) Abattoir
7) Sales associate
8) Stock room
9) Warehouse
10) Call center
I've done those three highlighted jobs in the past, and honestly all of them were a pain in the butt. In a call center, you are basically glued to your seat, and some have a rule that you can't get up to use the bathroom unless it's your scheduled time to go on break.
As a cashier, you have to deal with all kinds of personalities and all kinds of demands because "the customer is always right".
Ditto for a sales associate job, and you might be required to clean the store at closing time. If it's a small store with its own bathroom, you might even be required to clean the bathroom.
From the remaining jobs on the list, I would choose stock room.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
I could not do call center. I loathe telemarketers and couldn't in good conscience become one.

I'd actually be a dishwasher at a decent restaurant. Free meals - staff meals at a good restaurant are usually pretty danged good. It's something I've done before. You stay pretty busy, you're mostly left alone to do your thing, and you can develop a system so there's a Zen-like quality to it.

And every good chef will tell you a good dishwasher is worth their weight in gold. Even if you're only making $10/hr.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 PM

547 posts, read 939,259 times
I might try a janitor job at some office place during the evening where people aren't bothering me.

*I did have a place call me last year about a janitor position I applied for and to see if I wanted to come in for an interview. Once they found out over the phone I had a bachelors degree, they said never mind*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment