Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,726,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
From my experience, federal government policy is that you start with 2 weeks and after 5 years it increases, and it increases again in that interval.
There's also umpteen holidays. And if you're salaried, you can still book additional leave if you work more than 8 hours a day in a lot of jobs. I have a relative you gets to claim flying international as "work".

Where I work we have an unlimited vacation policy, like the morningstar description above. I think I took around 5 weeks last year, usually in 3 day chunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 AM

15,857 posts, read 21,411,912 times
Higher ed and nonprofits tend to be fairly generous. Most local colleges start at 2 weeks vacation if you are hourly and three if you are salaried, and then bumps up at 2 years and 5 years service, respectively. My employer also gives most Jewish holidays off, which can amount to a lot of time.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 AM

15,783 posts, read 20,430,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Morningstar! This is their policy:

Vacation and Sick Policy
Morningstar provides three tools to help employees maintain work-life balance—vacation, sabbatical, and leave. There’s no “use it or lose it” vacation policy at Morningstar. Employees take the time they need with their manager’s approval. Prior to requesting time off, employees must discuss their plans with their manager and co-workers to make sure their work is covered.
We have the same policy where I work as well. As long as your work gets done, if you want to take a month off, and your manager approves, it's fine.

I took off about 5 weeks of time last year....spread out of course.

No...i'm not naming my company

Old 06-13-2014, 07:28 AM

41,923 posts, read 75,090,199 times
Many nonprofits offer good vacation/sick leave benefits as well. Often they don't pay much, but make it up in benefits.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,298,423 times
My wife's company gave 20 PTO days.

That was 20 days to do whatever you needed (be sick, go on vacation, etc).
After that, they were unpaid days off.

20 PTO used strictly for vacation is 4 weeks off.

Technically, I can take off as much time as I want as long as I average 110 hours a month for the year. But I don't get paid if I am not at work.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:31 AM

406 posts, read 558,725 times
I work for a regional non-profit in the healthcare industry and have pretty decent paid time off..

For new employees:
* 3 weeks vacation up front (can be carried over 1 year)
* 1 week PTO up front (cannot be carried over)
* 2 weeks sick time
* 1 volunteer day
* 8 holidays

My wife has it slightly better working for a private university. I believe she receives 5 weeks vacation, holidays, and unlimited sick time.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM

692 posts, read 1,705,689 times
hired 4 years ago----1st year 7 weeks PTO
now----------------------------11 weeks PTO

Oil and gas exploration

Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM

182 posts, read 476,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
There's also umpteen holidays. And if you're salaried, you can still book additional leave if you work more than 8 hours a day in a lot of jobs. I have a relative you gets to claim flying international as "work".
Yeah, the federal government's leave policy is awesome, especially if you stay there long term. When I was working as a contractor with the Department of Homeland Security, in addition to their regular annual leave and sick leave accural, government employees got the following:

- Comp Time - instead of paying folks for overtime, any additional hours work could be used as time off

- Travel Comp Time - if you're on business travel, you get reimbursed for your time from the moment you leave your house until you reach your the office

- Time Off Awards - Obviously the government gives out monetary awards for exceptional service, but they also give leave awards (usually between 8 - 24 hours of leave)

- Administrative Leave - If the federal government shut down because of weather or a facility had to be shut down for whatever reason (loss of power, natural disaster, etc.) employees would still get paid through this type of leave

Plus most federal employees were allowed to work a flex schedule. So quite a number of folks did the 4/10 (work 4 10 hours day per week and have a day off every week) or the 5/4/9 (work 8 9 hour days, 1 8 hour day and have a day off every week). AND they had telework (at least one day sometimes up to three or four days a week).

That's the life right there...

Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 PM

4,342 posts, read 4,712,521 times
6 weeks PTO

Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,980,108 times
The military gives 30 days a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment