Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,547,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
There are more low wage jobs created than high wage jobs so with the birth rate combined with immigration and outsourcing there is not near enough high wage jobs to support the country. The BLS states that in the next 20 years the ratio of low wage jobs to high wage jobs is going to be even worse than it is now.

Bright people recognize this while egomaniacs don't care to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,030,124 times
You're young, you will learn. We work hard for the chance to better our lives. It doesn't matter if its a .0001% chance or if working hard makes "The Man" more money. It is this same hope for a better future that has always driven this country since its inception. Plus as other shave said, we do complain. Maybe not in the ways you see or want, but it happens.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM

15,053 posts, read 10,045,925 times
I believe that the American culture is one that embraces "the underdog can accomplish anything mentality". After all, our nation's history started with the defeat of one of the world's most powerful armies. The pursuit of the "American Dream" whether it is home ownership or business ownership coupled with the expectation that you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps all play into that ideal.

I could see how this can be construed to be "gullible". Certainly falls in with the "just-world" hypothesis (thanks for posting that btw.. )

I never really subscribed to that mentality because I tend to be more pragmatic and keep my expectations in check. My wife is more blunt.. she calls me pessimistic. I say I'm being realistic. I've been through a lot of disappointments career and financially through no fault of my own.... so I guess I'm a product of my environment.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it but the generalization certainly is incorrect. For one, I am first born Asian American and I will tell you for a fact that what OP describes as gullible is 100x worse in Asian cultures. So I'm with many here.... if you don't like, feel free to try out other third world countries. I guarantee you it will open your eyes.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 PM

750 posts, read 1,444,434 times
Thanks for the post wanderlust. I have pointed out this fact in many of my posts. The BLS reports are now 8 out of 10 jobs will be low wage jobs over the next 10 years. We are becoming a low wage MCJOB nation. Home health aids retail fast food workers you get the idea. The big growth area will be temp work in the future. Just in time labor laid off at any time. When most of the nation is in these low wage junk jobs. Spending will drop over the long haul big time. As wages keep dropping and jobs become more unstable. Buying houses cars getting married life choices will take a hit. When a ever growing part of population has a very low income. Add in the fact that many of these new jobs are unstable. The second wave of offshoring that is coming will gut whole sectors of the job market. Automation however may bring us to our knees. We could deal with one ting low wage job growth offshoring or automation. But not all of them it will reshape America as we know it.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,242,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Lol. Being unemployed in the United States is paradise to a legitimate 3rd world country. Obviously you have never been before. At least in the US there are many many forms of social welfare and social programs. In a 3rd world country, you basically rot on the streets. There's no assistance anywhere.
Only problem is if you have ever worked for a living, are single and do not have children, they will NOT give them to you and they will leave you to starve to basically try and "force" you to get another job and start paying taxes again to support the social welfare system. Single people with no kids who aren't drug addicts will get little to no help when they fall on hard times.

Everything in social welfare in the USA is for the unwed mothers who never held a job and actually encourages living this kind of life. Once they get started as adults or teenagers on the unwed mother life, the system mysteriously declares them "unable to work" and doesn't try to make them get a job ... unlike the working mother taxpayer who mysteriously can work and be a mom at the same time ... for her it's get you *ss to work.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post
Sucking American natives how? Unless they are literally snatching cash out of your hand.. I don't see how they are sucking Americans.

If Americans spend their money like drunken sailors they only have their selves to blame for being broke. No one takes money from Americans. Americans give their money away willingly.
He means take advantage of social welfare programs in America ... and many of them cheat. Here in NY, it is not unusual for immigrants actually owning MANSIONS, riding around in Rolls Royces, and getting on the dole by lying. Occasionally, they get caught. Here, if you don't believe me:

Staten Island woman swindled city out of $62,000 in welfare benefits despite owning her own business and two homes: authorities* - NY Daily News

The below story is for a DIFFERENT Staten Island woman, she of the chauffeured Rolls Royce:

Staten Island woman Hasime Lika scammed Medicaid out of $47k while living in $2m mansion | Mail Online

More thieving immigrants:

Great Neck Husband and Wife Arrested For Stealing Over $70K in Medicaid Benefits | LongIsland.com

Six residents at luxury Brighton Beach condo complex busted for Medicaid fraud | New York Post

The new American dream for immigrants: open businesses and make a fortune PLUS commit Welfare fraud and suck the stupid middle class taxpayers dry!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Thanks for the post wanderlust. I have pointed out this fact in many of my posts. The BLS reports are now 8 out of 10 jobs will be low wage jobs over the next 10 years. We are becoming a low wage MCJOB nation. Home health aids retail fast food workers you get the idea. The big growth area will be temp work in the future. Just in time labor laid off at any time. When most of the nation is in these low wage junk jobs. Spending will drop over the long haul big time. As wages keep dropping and jobs become more unstable. Buying houses cars getting married life choices will take a hit. When a ever growing part of population has a very low income. Add in the fact that many of these new jobs are unstable. The second wave of offshoring that is coming will gut whole sectors of the job market. Automation however may bring us to our knees. We could deal with one ting low wage job growth offshoring or automation. But not all of them it will reshape America as we know it.
What is the second wave going to involve and when?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,734,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are really gullible, if you think 3rd word country living is easier.

My grandma grew up in a poor 3rd world country. The cost of living was cheaper. She survived famines by eating leaves off bushes. We are not talking Caesar salads here.

She had no air conditioning, no food, and was lucky to not die from disease and starvation.
Sure but I bet her carbon footprint was impressively small.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,020,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Know the solution? Don't bust your butt for low wages. Bust your butt for high wages.
Love this. Good answer.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 PM

2,597 posts, read 2,302,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I never really subscribed to that mentality because I tend to be more pragmatic and keep my expectations in check. My wife is more blunt.. she calls me pessimistic. I say I'm being realistic. I've been through a lot of disappointments career and financially through no fault of my own.... so I guess I'm a product of my environment.

A historical figure said "Men wedded to a purpose can alter circumstances".

Be so motivated and so good that you wind up manipulating the environment. Alternatively, seek the environment that is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment