Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM

205 posts, read 245,185 times

Advertisements

I just got through filling out my 22nd application for work. I know that's not a lot, but a lot of these stupid places are online and the application takes anywhere from 30 mins to an hour to fill out.

I don't know why we (future employees) put up with this BS. I just had to do an "assessment" where they asked if I was a day dream or a logical person, what percentage do I think politicans lie, do people call me "cocky", asking do I consider myself successful, do I keep a clean workplace at home and do I think people lie.

Wth, I mean seriously...what do these stupid assessments have to do with work? Just give me the job and I will do it already! I don't care about none of this crap and some of the questions seem loaded and personal. I really wish as consumers and future employees we could fight back because you waste an hour filling out these stupid things only to not get a call back and then you never know why, but its because you didn't answer some stupid question right.

These assessments should be banned and against the law. They are not indicative of the type of person that they need and in some cases block people based on just sheer personality type.

Last edited by Fire and Ice; 06-18-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 01:10 PM

493 posts, read 980,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I just got through filling out my 22nd application for work. I know that's not a lot, but a lot of these stupid places are online and the application takes anywhere from 30 mins to an hour to fill out.

I don't know why we (future employees) put up with this BS. I just had to do an "assessment" where they asked if I was a day dream or a logical person, what percentage do I think politicans lie, do people call me "cocky", asking do I consider myself successful, do I keep a clean workplace at home and do I think people lie.

Wth, I mean seriously...what do these stupid assessments have to do with work? Just give me the job and I will do it already! I don't care about none of this crap and some of the questions seem loaded and personal. I really wish as consumers and future employees we could fight back because you waste an hour filling out these stupid things only to not get a call back and then you never know why, but its because you didn't answer some stupid question right.

These assessments should be banned and against the law. They are not indicative of the type of person that they need and in some cases block people based on just sheer personality type.
Was that application for Target? When I applied at Target years ago they asked the percentage I think politicians lie.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
It's definitely an epidemic to our society.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Was that application for Target? When I applied at Target years ago they asked the percentage I think politicians lie.
All I can say is that it is a retail place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It's definitely an epidemic to our society.
It needs to be banned honestly. These stupid tests don't prove anything.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 PM

45 posts, read 53,563 times
Yeah, I here yah. When I applied to a box store back in the late 90s, applications were single page documents and the hiring process was very short.

Each new year HR types come up with another layer of BS in the application process.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
I really wish as consumers and future employees we could fight back because you waste an hour filling out these stupid things only to not get a call back and then you never know why, but its because you didn't answer some stupid question right.

You can fight back by not working there and not shopping there. Nothing wrong with that. Send ownership a note about why you aren't spending your money at Walmart or whatever. Go forth.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
Yeah, I here yah. When I applied to a box store back in the late 90s, applications were single page documents and the hiring process was very short.

Each new year HR types come up with another layer of BS in the application process.
I remember that too! I was young then but in the late 90s I could apply and get a job like that! Hired on the spot practically and everything! Not anymore it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You can fight back by not working there and not shopping there. Nothing wrong with that. Send ownership a note about why you aren't spending your money at Walmart or whatever. Go forth.
I would have to not use my real name. I'm all for sending a letter, but I don't believe in burning bridges. You never know when you might need to apply there, like I am now.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post

That's a huge part of the problem. Many companies are now going without HR departments. In reality HR is a blanket industry that has no need. Now I see all sorts of people on linkedin with PHR, or something similar. Professional Human Resource (er? IDK) another made up license.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 PM

103 posts, read 185,459 times
I'm used to the online tests now, Taleo just makes me roll my eyes but it's part of looking for a job now I suppose.
I get irritated at the companies that require you to print out their app, write down your info, then scan the app. back and finally then you can submit. I wish they would realize that not everyone has a printer/scanner at home, and handwritten information? It looks just bad in my opinion, I wish I could figure out a way to do these apps online.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM

475 posts, read 900,708 times
I assume you are not really looking for an opposing view, just venting right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment