Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,788,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Anyone getting a higher education today should do themselves a favor and hold down a full or part-time job while doing it. What did you pay $100,000 for?
I don't think it is that bad of an idea but let's remember the costs of college whether it is community college or university sky rocketed. When I went to community college the cost was $70 a credit (I've heard that it use to be just under $10 years ago at the same school) and now 4 years later it is $81. Take a full-time status on courses alone you run into $972 for a semester. POSSIBLE if you live with parents and have a job. Throw in rent and cars, and you start to have more costs. Traditional university, forget about it because it is an average of $4K PER SEMESTER. No way you can pay for that on your wages. At most books, rent and car fees (gas and parking permits) can be covered.

Doing a full-time job is a bit easier now as you can only work 30 hours a week and be full time BUT that's 30 hours a week that you aren't in classes or studying. Of the 168 hours a week, sleep and work take out nearly half of the hours (7 hours a sleep of night and 30 hours of work.) So 89 to do 4/5 courses at an hour a pop. Let's remember most places say you need 2-3 hours per every credit hour to study so for 12 credits you run 36 to 48 hours and for 15 credits you run 45 to 60 hours. In some courses you need much, much more due to group projects. I barely made group projects sometimes due to other projects and I only had a job for a semester and a quarter (luckily I didn't really need it for the full semester besides one course.) I would often finish one and head to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Yeah, I suspect that $100K is an exaggeration, by at least 50%. But you chose the career and if you did the research to know what it paid and what the job market was like, its your own fault. You rolled the dice and lost.
100K is a bit high for a bachelor's alone unless it was say for a masters degree. I know in social work, a masters is MUCH better to get but it does have its added cost. So I would say 100K is plausible but I'm not quite sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM

632 posts, read 743,879 times
Let's see...
100K in student loans to get a degree in Criminal Justice and Sociology? ( The study of the cause and effect of crime and solving its impact on society) It sounds like a lot of money was spent on a rather plentiful but useless liberal arts degree. As you've learned... Not very many employers need or want a CJ&S professional on staff.

A demonstrated and obvious sense of entitlement and self pity seldom makes for a winning combination, in any job interview. As an employer, I'd be more than a little inclined to view a degree in what amounts to social/community activism, coupled with entitlement issues to be detrimental to smooth operation of my business. You guessed it... no hire.

Things are not looking very good for Yiuppy, but then, we weren't consulted when her important life choices were being made. Now it's our fault that she's learning that she's screwed the pooch.... go figure.

TL;DR
OP is either one very good troll or she is a young lady who is well and truly SOL.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,753,345 times
I'm sorry but since when did the human race become a bunch of pitiless douchebags? Did this happen overnight or something?

The OP is going through a hard time. In no shape or form does this sound like an entitlement thread. Hell, it doesn't even sound like a trolling post.

Instead of throwing stones at her and pointing fingers, maybe we should GIVE her advice. I thank God I wasn't homeless and had family support but I know how it feels to be unemployed. I've been through it. It's depressing and makes you feel as if life just stopped in front of you.

Some of you need an attitude adjustment. May I also dare say GROW THE F UP.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:15 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,641,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I'm sorry but since when did the human race become a bunch of pitiless douchebags? Did this happen overnight or something?

The OP is going through a hard time. In no shape or form does this sound like an entitlement thread. Hell, it doesn't even sound like a trolling post.

Instead of throwing stones at her and pointing fingers, maybe we should GIVE her advice. I thank God I wasn't homeless and had family support but I know how it feels to be unemployed. I've been through it. It's depressing and makes you feel as if life just stopped in front of you.

Some of you need an attitude adjustment. May I also dare say GROW THE F UP.
She got loads and loads of advice in her last thread and in this one. At no point has she indicated that she finds any of it of value.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,753,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
She got loads and loads of advice in her last thread and in this one. At no point has she indicated that she finds any of it of value.
Yes she did. She did say she'll take some of it in consideration. Just because she didn't post every five minutes doesn't mean she's not reading the thread.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:40 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,698,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
You think I would be homeless if McDonald's hired me? They didn't. Of course I tried low end jobs. Not one offer. The grocery stores haven't even hired me.
I know it seems hopeless right now, but Yiuppy...don't give up. Look, there's a job, right around the corner! You just weren't in the right place at the right time, on the right day, you know? Keep checking back at those places. Don't let yourself go, or be drinking or drugging...because you're depressed.

Think positive and look around your house. Are you prepared to go back to work? Is there anything that you didn't get to yet....because "you'd get around to it"? Well, do that. Get that stuff taken care of, and check back with the people you applied to. Be upbeat and positive. Don't have an air of doubt around you. Try to carry the personna of someone with an extremely positive attitude, "Why WOULDN'T they hire you?" Confidence and a positive outlook is fabulous, in the "service" industry.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:00 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,600,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I know it seems hopeless right now, but Yiuppy...don't give up. Look, there's a job, right around the corner! You just weren't in the right place at the right time, on the right day, you know? Keep checking back at those places. Don't let yourself go, or be drinking or drugging...because you're depressed.

Think positive and look around your house. Are you prepared to go back to work? Is there anything that you didn't get to yet....because "you'd get around to it"? Well, do that. Get that stuff taken care of, and check back with the people you applied to. Be upbeat and positive. Don't have an air of doubt around you. Try to carry the personna of someone with an extremely positive attitude, "Why WOULDN'T they hire you?" Confidence and a positive outlook is fabulous, in the "service" industry.
Maybe I should try that myself. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,698,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Maybe I should try that myself. Thanks!
You are most welcome! It can be so disheartening, sometimes. It seems though, just when you're positive nothing's going to turn up, it does. It's wonderful and right, and you know what?.....because you (?) are so sure you're not gonna get hired, when you do...it's PANIC! OMG! So much to DO! OMG! LOL

Yes, be positive....and something good will happen. Being truly happy and really friendly, in a comfortable, casual way, works wonders in getting you in the door....in the RIGHT place. I know it's tough being unemployed, but working in the "right" place for you....where you can BE you, is most important of all.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:39 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,380,956 times
The Armed Forces would hire you. They will give you training, a roof over your head, 30 grand for college, and a pay check.

You can't beat it, you might get shot at but the benefits out weigh the costs

Old 06-22-2014, 05:13 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,600,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You are most welcome! It can be so disheartening, sometimes. It seems though, just when you're positive nothing's going to turn up, it does. It's wonderful and right, and you know what?.....because you (?) are so sure you're not gonna get hired, when you do...it's PANIC! OMG! So much to DO! OMG! LOL

Yes, be positive....and something good will happen. Being truly happy and really friendly, in a comfortable, casual way, works wonders in getting you in the door....in the RIGHT place. I know it's tough being unemployed, but working in the "right" place for you....where you can BE you, is most important of all.
Right now I'm working at a library, but I really want to relocate. I've been applying for jobs to relocate for 6 months and nothing... so frustrating. Of course people around me haven't been positive... but I'm breaking the chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment