Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaaxelam View Post
Originally, I was planning to quit before this trip, since I have been looking for a new job. However, now I feel like I wouldn't mind staying here a little longer before taking on a new position, which is why I was looking for advice.

What question does that answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:04 PM

39 posts, read 94,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If that's their policy and it's unacceptable to you, then you don't take the job.

The op has no regard for the company or she would have discussed this with her manager before booking the trip. That just screams, "Screw the company, I'm doing what I want." It's one of those, "Oh, I didn't know. Well, I can't change it now" deals.

If it were me, I wouldn't be taking 8 days. I'd ask for two, tack them onto a weekend and call it a day.
It's not their policy that you can't take vacation days, they are just unpaid. My coworker has taken many unpaid days off once she used up her PTO.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:05 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I have been at my current company about 9 months. We don't get any vacation days until after a year. We get 2 floating holidays and 3 sicks days. I used all of these when I went on vacation to Hawaii in May. In July, I have another trip planned, back to the east coast to visit my family. My grandmother has been on and off life support, so this will probably be the last time I see her.

I will be out of work for 8 days. I'm not sure how to ask for these days off. My boss is super awkward to talk to and I cringe every time I have to! Also, we work in the same room, so I feel like emailing him would be strange since I see him everyday.

I'm worried he will have an issue with me leaving, since the other girl that I work with is on maternity leave, and there really won't be anyone else to take over my duties. Is it necessary that I explain that a family member is sick? Should I request the days off in an email before I present him with the paperwork to sign? Regardless, my flight is already booked so there's nothing I can do about it now.
As a boss, the first thing I am going to think is, why would you have used up all your few vacation days to go on vacation when your grandmother might not live much longer?

I'm sorry, but I would tell you no, because your co-worker isn't here to pick up the slack, and then I would start looking for someone else to take your place, because if your flight is already booked, I know that means you probably intend on doing whatever you want anyway, or at least, that's how it sounds.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
It's not their policy that you can't take vacation days, they are just unpaid. My coworker has taken many unpaid days off once she used up her PTO.
Well, that is slightly different... I guess you just need to ask your boss and see what he/she says. When asking (which I'd do in person) I would say that you know the days will be unpaid.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 PM

The other woman is on maternity leave and there won't be anyone to pick up slack while you're gone. No wonder you want to put this in an email.

Man up and have a face-to-face conversation with him or her tomorrow.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:20 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,860 times
Quote:
If that's their policy and it's unacceptable to you, then you don't take the job.

The op has no regard for the company or she would have discussed this with her manager before booking the trip. That just screams, "Screw the company, I'm doing what I want." It's one of those, "Oh, I didn't know. Well, I can't change it now" deals.

If it were me, I wouldn't be taking 8 days. I'd ask for two, tack them onto a weekend and call it a day.
Agree, just be careful. Your boss might not like it very much and he'll just give you a permanent vacation

Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:

^^^^ exactly! Do not take off eight days, that is way too much time. Don't use the 'I have already booked my ticket" you can change it for a price.

I am mostly perplexed by your lack of regard for your job. As someone else stated you have a dying grandmother but went to Hawaii? I call BS

Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
So you booked before getting approval? be prepared to be let go. Not only is booking in advance a bad sign, but your general disregard for the company policy is pretty bad. Even if you are not terminated for this, given your record I would say you won't have much of a future there. that may be absolutely OK to you, but how is it fair to your coworkers or even the company that gave you a chance. Some people....

Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Does your boss already know you used sick days to go to Hawaii? Is that permissible in your company? In mine it's not, you'd get into trouble for that alone.

You should certainly go see your grandmother, but you need to have that uncomfortable discussion with the boss and be prepared for the consequences. If he doesn't already know you went to Hawaii when you were "sick" don't mention it.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Anyone else wondering if the op didn't quit so he/she would be fired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment