Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good point.

I just realized that she only uses her middle initial on her business cards. So it is probably best to use the same name every place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Except you indicated there were some questions about whether or not she's married, right?
She normally used all three names on job applications and on her resume and other places, but by accident only used her middle initial on her business cards because she just filled in their standard form when she ordered the cards.

A few weeks ago she was asked some "odd questions" at two different interviews which made her think that they were hinting around to see if she had children (because, she speculated that they thought that she was married or divorced due to her middle name being a "last name"). I spoke to her earlier today and she decided to keep everything the same and use first name, middle initial and last name, on her business cards, applications, resume, Linked In, everything job related.

She said that maybe it wasn't a problem, but just in case it was better to avoid it in this tough job market.

PS. She is single without any children.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-25-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
I think she should just use first and last name. No need to make things more complicated then that if there's not a reason to do so.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hello,
I am helping my niece, who just graduated from college with job hunting by mentoring, proofreading cover letters, giving her tips, etc.

She usually uses all three of her names and her middle name is a last name (it is very common in my extended family to use a parents or grandparents last name as a middle name). It would be something like this Mary Smith Johnson (not her really name).

With the job market so tight is there any problem, one way or the other, with her using all three names? I know that employers aren't supposed to ask but she has had a few odd questions in the past which made her think that they were hinting around to see if she was married or divorced and if she had children. But, that may have happened even is she only used her middle initial.

So what is better, Mary S. Johnson, Mary Smith Johnson or it really doesn't matter at all?

Thank you for your input.
New research studies show that people with 3 names have a 2% unemployment rate. It's certainly not true, but names do have an impact on job hunting. It's not what you think, though.

I have only found a few research studies on names and the impact on interviews. The "white" names were 50% more likely to get interviews than the same resume with a "black" name.

http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html\

Quote:
Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback. This would suggest either employer prejudice or employer perception that race signals lower productivity.

The 50 percent gap in callback rates is statistically very significant, Bertrand and Mullainathan note...

Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
O.v.e.r.t.h.i.n.k.i.n.g
Agreed. There are also plenty of single, never-been-married women with children as well. *IF* a company is truly concerned about hiring a woman with children, playing hide the middle name isn't going to accomplish anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search