Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:30 PM

19 posts, read 191,642 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of trying to get hired for this company and have one interview left. I'm pretty excited. It seems like a wonderful company to work for. I'm applying for the Claims Adjuster Trainee position and I was told that two weeks of training would be in another state. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect this to be like? I'm assuming they pay for the travel expenses. Does anyone know what the living situation would be like? Any information would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:37 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
You'll be in an extended stay hotel like the Fairfield Inn or Residence by Marriott. Generally speaking, they don't double-stack rooms. Pretty likely this class would be in Cleveland - sorry.

The one word of advice I'd give is that you need to treat this couple weeks like there's going to be someone from corporate who will see/hear about anything you do. Be careful out in bars, etc. Happy hours - all that good stuff.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM

This is awesome. I have no issue going to Cleveland. Honestly it sounds exciting. And as for the behavior issue. I will have no problem with that since I do not even drink. So once I'm done with my day I'll probably go back to the hotel room and watch TV or Skype with family. Very excited!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
I hope this works out for you, it sounds like you feel it would be a good fit. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 PM

Thank you Chaofan. I really do feel like it's a good fit. I just graduated and I'm looking for a way to start my career. I want something I can be proud of and this really feels like it.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Claims has its advantages and disadvantages.

Pro:
Transitions well to other states. Every state has claims adjusters for multiple lines of business.
Relatively stable, can provide opportunity for lateral moves.
Gets your foot in the door at really large corps for other possible roles.

Con:
Repetitive, STRESSFUL, work. People suck in general, but they're true *******s dealing with insurance companies.
Professional growth/promotion opportunities can be limited.
Pay tends to be on the lower side, since all you are is an expense load to the company.

Good luck, hope the interview goes well.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Claims has its advantages and disadvantages.

Pro:
Transitions well to other states. Every state has claims adjusters for multiple lines of business.
Relatively stable, can provide opportunity for lateral moves.
Gets your foot in the door at really large corps for other possible roles.

Con:
Repetitive, STRESSFUL, work. People suck in general, but they're true *******s dealing with insurance companies.
Professional growth/promotion opportunities can be limited.
Pay tends to be on the lower side, since all you are is an expense load to the company.

Good luck, hope the interview goes well.
Honestly, the way the recruiter put it, there is definite room for growth after a year or two of proving yourself. And as for it being boring and the same thing over and over again, I don't know how you can say that. From all the sources I have looked into, no case is the same and that is what keeps the work interesting. I'm sure it definitely can be stressful but I'm okay with that. But the last thing I've heard it be called is boring.

I'm curious, have you worked for progressive? Or simply as a claims adjuster? I'm just wondering if you know from first-hand experience at this company that these negatives are a sure thing.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:32 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
If this is the final interview, take the opportunity to do a bit of your own fit-assessment.

It's ok to ask questions like "can you tell me approximately what percentage of each trainee class winds up dropping out or otherwise not making the cut?" The answer can give you clues as to whether the company considers the training class an actual productive experience or is just looking for a way to weed out the unsuitables before they go out in the field.

It's ok to say things like "I am looking to make a long-term commitment to an employer. Can you tell me approximately what percentage of a new claims adjuster class is still with the company after a year? What percentage of a typical claims adjuster class gets promoted within one year? Within five years?" If they tell you that 90% of a typical trainee class washes out in their first year, or if they claim a strong promote-from-within program but can't actually tell you how often they promote claims adjusters, it's something to be wary of.

It's ok to try to get a sense for what the interviewer thinks of the company. "What is it that you are proudest of about working for this company? What do you like best about working here?" The answers to questions like that can give you important clues about the company's values and priorities, which can give you a better sense of how well you'll fit in there.

And by the way, questions like that are more likely to get you good marks in an interview than otherwise. In fact, if they give you the hairy eyeball and act like you're asking how often employees contract leprosy, it's a pretty good sign that the company might not be one you'd want to work for.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightNicholas View Post
Honestly, the way the recruiter put it, there is definite room for growth after a year or two of proving yourself. And as for it being boring and the same thing over and over again, I don't know how you can say that. From all the sources I have looked into, no case is the same and that is what keeps the work interesting. I'm sure it definitely can be stressful but I'm okay with that. But the last thing I've heard it be called is boring.

I'm curious, have you worked for progressive? Or simply as a claims adjuster? I'm just wondering if you know from first-hand experience at this company that these negatives are a sure thing.
After a year or two, you might have an increase in your approval authority, but career advancement (promotions) are off the table for at least 5, unless you're in the FNOL call center.

Yes, I've worked for them.

You think every case is different. They may be, but the core coverage and the ****ed up people are the same. You'll get some hilarious and sad stories out of it, after a while it will just get repetitive. All in, it's a great first step in a career - learn everything you can, just don't stay in auto for more than 5 years.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 PM

I really appreciate the advice from everyone. It is very helpful. I'll have to see how things turn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment