Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, absolutely not.

It does present some professional issues however. Arriving to the office and immediately breaking out in a sweat, what to do with the suit while you're riding the bike (if you work in a suit and tie environment)... basically it's logistically difficult. I used to bike to work pretty regularly back when I had an office. Distance and being onsite most of the time make it impossible now.

It really doesn't. I work in a white-collar professional office building. I commute 7 miles each way to work, a minimum of 3 times per week. Usually it is 4 times per week (I like to keep my car somewhat active).

I also ride between 16-18 mph the whole time on bullet proof tires (slightly thicker than road bike tires). For anyone big into cycling, that is considered "more advanced" pace. My commute takes 25 minutes with traffic lights.

Basically, I shower before I leave. Sweat does not stink. Perspiration is odorless. The bacteria is what stinks. Showering before my ride keeps the odor at bay. I ride in cycling shorts and basic cycling athletic gear. Upon arrival, I change my clothes in the stall. I wipe down with wet wipes, re-apply some deodorant, and put on my fresh business clothes. I neither feel nor smell stinky.

I keep clothes and all kinds of goodies in my desk at work. This week it has been roughly 70-75 in the morning, and 85-90 in the evening (when it doesn't matter).

There is absolutely nothing unprofessional about cycling to work. Hell, bike commuters actually get a $20 / month reimbursement allowance towards bicycle expenses if your company is progressive enough to offer it as a fringe benefit. Knock off the excuses and bike to work, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Yep if it was feasable for me I would be riding to work at least half the year. Unfortunately I work 23 miles from home, and there is really no good bike routes from A to B. I'd need to a least partially ride on major arterial highways that would be downright suicidal in rush hour. The near western subburbs and anything adjacent to Ohare airport in the Chicago area sucks for cycling.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Obviously none of the PRO BIKE riding group here lives in FL with rain, thunder and lightening half the year.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Sorry, I disagree with showering first does not make you stink. It may work for some people, but I don't think that is the norm.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sorry, I disagree with showering first does not make you stink. It may work for some people, but I don't think that is the norm.
Yeah, I know with me if I shower before I work out or walk around a hot area it just doesn't work. With ("lasting") body wash, deodorant and body spray but it's not going to last strenuous activity or being out in a hot area for two/three hours. I think a rinse off with exercise is fine and wearing compression shirts and other workout clothing is fine for to work commutes. As I previously said, from work is one that I wouldn't really care about.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I'm in Denver. With the outdoorsy nature of the wider population here, biking to work appears to be seen more as a sign of strength and credibility.

Fortunately, I work from home

Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,015 times
No, why would it be unprofessional? Unless you don't change and are wearing skin tights in the office.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:37 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I mentioned the issue is that bikers are typically inconsiderate in Arizona (riding two or more abreast for instance.)
In Arizona, bicyclists may legally ride two-abreast within a single traffic-lane. Check page 42 of the Arizona Driver's License Manual.

However, to acknowledge your point, mkpunk: I have a similar problem with Toyota Prius drivers (for example) who camp out in the fast-lane of a freeway or Interstate while driving just below the posted speed limit. In most locations both parties - the two-abreast bicyclists and the Prius driver - are legally entitled to do as they're doing, and they are being inconsiderate of others.

Now, as the late Paul Harvey would have said, for "the rest of the story:"

(A.) The Prius driver doesn't have to worry about being hit, or crowded out, or run off into the ditch. The bicyclists do.

(B.) Even if the Prius driver does get hit, or crowded out, or run off into the ditch, s/he doesn't really have to worry about being killed or seriously injured. The bicyclists do.

I do not commute to work on a bicycle, but I do ride once or twice per week, for fitness' sake.

-- Nighteyes

Old 07-01-2014, 02:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
In Arizona, bicyclists may legally ride two-abreast within a single traffic-lane. Check page 42 of the Arizona Driver's License Manual.

However, to acknowledge your point, mkpunk: I have a similar problem with Toyota Prius drivers (for example) who camp out in the fast-lane of a freeway or Interstate while driving just below the posted speed limit. In most locations both parties - the two-abreast bicyclists and the Prius driver - are legally entitled to do as they're doing, and they are being inconsiderate of others.

Now, as the late Paul Harvey would have said, for "the rest of the story:"

(A.) The Prius driver doesn't have to worry about being hit, or crowded out, or run off into the ditch. The bicyclists do.

(B.) Even if the Prius driver does get hit, or crowded out, or run off into the ditch, s/he doesn't really have to worry about being killed or seriously injured. The bicyclists do.

I do not commute to work on a bicycle, but I do ride once or twice per week, for fitness' sake.
The problem is unless the "Prius drivers" are turning off for an exit or U-turn or passing slower, they shouldn't be in the far-left/fast-lanes. Those lanes are intended for people going faster. My father drove town trucks for years and is well-versed in driving laws and how to drive on the roads. When we had an issue with a flat tire and replaced it with a doughnut during a ride home from a vacation and had to drive at 55 MPH (60 downhill) he drove in the right hand lane because I-10 is 65/75 mph. He wasn't impeding the flow of traffic and he even did the flasher to clear truckers who passed him. The Prius drivers shouldn't use the far left (the fast-lane/pass lanes) unless they go at speed (unless it's the HOV lane for alternative license plated cars) and can be ticketed for impeding the flow of traffic (if it's an extreme case.) That as well is in Arizona's manual several times on pages 28 and 29.

The bikes are on page 41 and it is two abreast let's remember the average lane can be 9 to 15 feet in width so there are times that can be 39 inches so riding two a breast can be as wide as a car and if they sway can get into your lane (like a normal car.) So maybe I was wrong in that but it is an annoyance especially if you can't get over to avoid the scrap of a handlebar.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is unless the "Prius drivers" are turning off for an exit or U-turn or passing slower, they shouldn't be in the far-left/fast-lanes. Those lanes are intended for people going faster.
See? There's the problem -- what they SHOULD do versus what is by-the-books legal. If the law reads (as it does in California ) "Slower Drivers Keep Right", and if the speed-limit is 65, and the Prius driver is doing 64, who's to say that they should move over for faster drivers (who are most likely going faster than 65 and therefore breaking the law)?

Now let's complete the picture. Prius drivers, et al, have far more of a choice than do bicyclists, wouldn't you agree? Yet, and as a rule, automobile drivers are more likely to forgive the Prius driver for being a prick than they are to forgive the bicyclist for hanging on to the only (very tiny) slice of road he legally has access to.

What have I missed or overlooked?

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment