Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,915,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
So I arrived at work for my first day and all of my furniture was in my office...... in boxes.

My boss goes "do u think this will be hard to put together?"
Naturally, I said "i dont know....."...cuz I dont... I'm not a carpenter/contractor who assembles furniture.

So here I am with a screwdriver and ratchet in hand putting together some chairs. I didn't sign up for this

is this like a thing now? Do offices expect their new employees to assemble their own office furniture?
Who do you work for, IKEA? I'd be looking for another job if I were you. Just remember to keep working at that one until you get another offer. Good luck to you, OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,684,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

This is a relatively small outfit, but not that small.....like 60 employees total, so idk, I was just a bit surprised is all. . . never had to assemble my own office furniture. all shiney and new tho!
If you think 60 employees is "not that small" I'm afraid I've got some bad news

Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,660,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
If you think 60 employees is "not that small" I'm afraid I've got some bad news
What does that even mean?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,362,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I hope you didn't roll up your sleeves.

Small fashion faux pas
This made me laugh! Thanks!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,362,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
that's what I'm saying! I'm a woman and nobody EVER asked me to assemble furniture. And I would give them an excuse. I actually have a herniated disc in my lower back and documents to prove that, so that's my excuse, cupcake. Anybody doesn't buy the disc thing, I'd bring the paperwork and xrays to stick in their face. Following that, I would quit on the spot. But that's me. I don't let people walk all over me. A lot of other people would probably assemble the furniture like the good sheep.
I've had to put furniture together in my classroom. I also had to move all of the furniture to one side of the class and stack them at the end of the year. There's No one else to do it.

I also had to clean the desks and walls as well as bag the trash. Older teachers would get younger ones to do it or their spouses/children.

It happens.

The only thing we didn't have to do is clean up puke, poop, or pee because they had a special cleanser for that. ( yes, some kids in k-2 poop on the classroom floor)

Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
You work for Ikea?
If he worked at IKEA, he would've had to assemble the furniture during the interview, not the first day of work.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:18 PM

17,496 posts, read 15,091,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Such tasks might be common in small companies as they are trying to save wherever they can. I know of a small company (5-7 employees) located in a small town where employees take turns in taking out trash.
Hell, a small company I worked for.. I was the IT department plus garbage-wheeler-out-to-the-curber, plumber, electrician, furniture assembler, purchasing department and grass cutter.. Though that last job we started a rotating "who pissed us off this week" award that had to do it. Had a guy back into one of the concrete poles at a gas station and do over $1000 damage to a company vehicle.. He had to mow the grass.. (mostly) All in good fun. Boss/owner was included in the list and he had to get out there several times and mow.. Took about 30 minutes, and we just came up with the idea because we were paying someone $60 a week to mow a TINY patch of grass.. We were all generously compensated when the company was sold to a larger company as well, and we all kept our jobs.. Once the larger company took over, many, many things changed, and most of them were not for the better.

Never think you're above anything or anyone. You'll go a whole lot further that way.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,411,458 times
Were you really needing the job? If so, don't be complaining. I can put things together and it wouldn't bother me to spend a couple days putting my furniture together. Sounds like a small business and you are in at the beginning. If you are handy with putting the furniture together and are asked to do more of it in other areas of the business, you're still being paid, aren't you? Why not think of as keeping boredom at bay?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,006,000 times
I wouldn't have assembled anything. How tacky!

I would have asked for the old furniture back. I doubt they would have asked a woman to do this, so I'll assume you're a man.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:03 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,006,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
that's what I'm saying! I'm a woman and nobody EVER asked me to assemble furniture. And I would give them an excuse. I actually have a herniated disc in my lower back and documents to prove that, so that's my excuse, cupcake. Anybody doesn't buy the disc thing, I'd bring the paperwork and xrays to stick in their face. Following that, I would quit on the spot. But that's me. I don't let people walk all over me. A lot of other people would probably assemble the furniture like the good sheep.
I wouldn't even give them an excuse. I would have said I don't know how to put furniture together and I don't want to learn. The End.

The convo after that would have went along these lines:

"Now, what did you do with the Old furniture? Oh, you got rid of it. That's okay. I'll take my laptop out to the reception area and do my work on there. What printer can I use?"

I refuse to be taken advantage of in ANY way just because some employers believe they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment