Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Can you cite examples of the problems you have hade with financially irresponsible people. I would like to hear some examples the problem that you have dealt with due to these circumstances so I can better understand you concerns.

As I stated there is nothing wrong with the background check process, only the conclusions hiring managers jump to. As I stated earlier, I wish background checks would expand to in-depth psychological tests and assessments of people being considered for roles in charge of people to ensure someone with severe mental disorders are not put of charge of other employees. I think that alone would save companies of lot of money in productivity,lawsuits.severence packages and un employment insurance.

I'll bite.

I hired a guy two years ago that was down on his luck. No job, getting evicted, and recently bankrupt. He assured me that he was a hard worker going through tough times, and he passed the written machinist test with decent scores.

For the first 90 days he was a go getter. Hard working and dependable. Around 100 days he was the polar opposite. He laid out consistently, never met the labor standards, complained non-stop, had arguments with his ex-gf in the company parking lot and ultimately stole about $800 in power equipment from us. Not to mention tools he stole from other machinist's toolboxes. It took quite a lot of work to locate it and get it back and even more work to terminate him. (We terminated before we knew the equipment went missing)

Another manager in our company hired a guy for his team with similar sob stories. He was caught loading over 650 lbs of scrap aluminum sheeting in the trunk of his car on the night shift one night to go sell. We also found over $300 of carbide bits in his toolbox that belonged to the company, which he told another co-worker he intended to sell for scrap.

It's not the managers. These checks are in place for a reason. Quite frankly if you've never had to deal with it you lack the grounds to complain against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:03 PM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'll bite.

I hired a guy two years ago that was down on his luck. No job, getting evicted, and recently bankrupt. He assured me that he was a hard worker going through tough times, and he passed the written machinist test with decent scores.

For the first 90 days he was a go getter. Hard working and dependable. Around 100 days he was the polar opposite. He laid out consistently, never met the labor standards, complained non-stop, had arguments with his ex-gf in the company parking lot and ultimately stole about $800 in power equipment from us. Not to mention tools he stole from other machinist's toolboxes. It took quite a lot of work to locate it and get it back and even more work to terminate him. (We terminated before we knew the equipment went missing)

Another manager in our company hired a guy for his team with similar sob stories. He was caught loading over 650 lbs of scrap aluminum sheeting in the trunk of his car on the night shift one night to go sell. We also found over $300 of carbide bits in his toolbox that belonged to the company, which he told another co-worker he intended to sell for scrap.

It's not the managers. These checks are in place for a reason. Quite frankly if you've never had to deal with it you lack the grounds to complain against it.
Thank you for providing me with some background and what you have gone through. Given the set of circumstances you presented, I can certainly understand why you would be hesitant. I would think that would be an extreme case. I would think the getting evicted, bankruptcy combined would be a red flag.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:05 PM

331 posts, read 547,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't doubt you believe that to be true.
How was it that the working world functioned perfectly fine before credit checks and criminal background checks existed? Seems like companies were always able to find productive employees throughout the first couple hundred years of the United States. What I don't believe in is creating a class of permanently unemployed, permanently indebted people. Many in the United States seem to like the idea of relegating people to a class of leeches or criminals. That's why anyone who commits a felony (and gets caught) is a "felon" for life. It's a perverse wordview.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
What I don't believe in is creating a class of permanently unemployed, permanently indebted people.
I hear you about that.

So you would hire the people I mentioned?

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 07-02-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
How was it that the working world functioned perfectly fine before credit checks and criminal background checks existed? Seems like companies were always able to find productive employees throughout the first couple hundred years of the United States. What I don't believe in is creating a class of permanently unemployed, permanently indebted people. Many in the United States seem to like the idea of relegating people to a class of leeches or criminals. That's why anyone who commits a felony (and gets caught) is a "felon" for life. It's a perverse wordview.

That is because we have a new epidemic of the "corporate sociopath"who has a feeling of grandiose beliefs about themselves and who would rather keep the place understaffed under the guise of they cannot find qualified applicants so they can be the hero. That is why I think implementing psychological tests and assessments would end a lot of problems going on today by eliminating the corporate sociopath from the environment.

Not all places do credit checks and it is illegal in a lot of states.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Quote:
Can you cite examples of the problems you have hade with financially irresponsible people. I would like to hear some examples the problem that you have dealt with due to these circumstances so I can better understand you concerns.

As I stated there is nothing wrong with the background check process, only the conclusions hiring managers jump to. As I stated earlier, I wish background checks would expand to in-depth psychological tests and assessments of people being considered for roles in charge of people to ensure someone with severe mental disorders are not put of charge of other employees. I think that alone would save companies of lot of money in productivity,lawsuits.severence packages and un employment insurance.

I certainly could cite instances of problems associated with financially irresponsible employees, but I don't have to justify my business decisions to someone with no stake in my business. Just as you are free to hire as many financially irresponsible people as you want, I am equally free not to hire them. I don't owe you an explanation, and you don't get to tell any business owner who they should hire. Your influence over hiring decisions ends at the limits of your business.

Your position is based entirely on what you "would" do if you had a business, so really all you have to offer are unsubstantiated hypotheses and an uninformed emotional reaction to someone else's business decision. You don't have your livelihood on the line, so your "wishes" and hypothetical employee assessments are just so much hot air. Things look a lot different to someone whose business and livelihood are at risk. So please feel free to indulge your emotions to your heart's content, but give up any notion that they make you an expert on how anyone else should make business decisions.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Quote:
It is not the issue of the checks, it is the comments in thread judging people and stating a person with credit issues might embezzle money. Personally, I think companies should give a psychiatric evaluation to any employee that is hired in a managerial capacity to make sure they are of sound mind and without severe mental disorders.
I never said embezzling money. I said handling money and expenses. Major difference.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

Not all places do credit checks and it is illegal in a lot of states.
Which ones?
That would be good information for people who want to avoid them!

Old 07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I'll bite...
I never hire people who bite.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Which ones?
That would be good information for people who want to avoid them!
Nevada, Colorado, California, Maryland, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Washington, Oregon and Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment