Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,931,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Dude, like seriously?
you're crying cuz u make $75k/year. Get over yourself!

I know being sexually attractive in the gay community is like priority number one, but does it really matter after 30 anyway?

focus on making you happy. Great for your brother, u should be happy for him, especially as a homosexual because it's hard out there for gays in general....more difficult out there than for straights in a lot of cases, so u should be happy and proud of him that he has his life well put together..... and so do u. There's nothing wrong with renting..... nothing wrong with being single. Like, just stop focusing on that. Renting allows u freedom and so does being single. If u ever wanted to relocate, BAM u could. Your brother couldn't so easily.

Focus on the positive. It's so funny how you're all "I look younger, im fitter, im sexier, etc.." who cares! U dont sound happy and that's what really matters.
Yes, sexual attractiveness is not (and should not) be #1 priority after you hit 30 years old. But I would still like to take care of myself health wise, beauty wise and look and feel the best I can. I accept the fact of life that my 20's are behind me and I ain't getting any sexier going forward. Therefore, I don't need to live in a gay mecca or anything like that. It's not #1 priority.

My #1 priority is enhancing my quality of live, living in an area that I actually want to settle down in, staying healthy and fit, and being more committed to a job. It would also be nice to own a small home, for privacy reasons. Of course, I would continue meeting and dating other guys in the meantime. I hope those are reasonable priorities for someone entering their 30's.

As for the career dilemma comparing myself to my little brother...I suppose the fact that he's MANAGER and only making $5K more than me is really not that great. Maybe it's better to be a staff person making $75K instead of a manager making $80K. Besides, with my annual bonus of $15K, I rake in a total of $90K. My bonuses are 20%. His are only 12%, which brings him right up to $90K. So looking at it that way, we are on par to the tee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 AM

6,443 posts, read 9,798,415 times
I have always been proud of my sister when she does something better than I have. She is now an E-9 in the Navy and I could not be more proud of her. I could care less how much I make in comparison.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

As for the career dilemma comparing myself to my little brother...I suppose the fact that he's MANAGER and only making $5K more than me is really not that great. Maybe it's better to be a staff person making $75K instead of a manager making $80K. Besides, with my annual bonus of $15K, I rake in a total of $90K. My bonuses are 20%. His are only 12%, which brings him right up to $90K. So looking at it that way, we are on par to the tee!

You really need to consistently go to counseling to find out why this is so important to you.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 AM

382 posts, read 663,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You poor baby.
Chunk change........75k here 85k there.....

Old 07-03-2014, 09:47 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,158 times
I don't know if it was every jealousy, maybe a small amount but more frustration with where I am vs. where my siblings are at in life. Right now I am working as a waiter at a military base and it sucks. This is not what my college degree is in. My siblings all have great jobs and are making good salaries and are in their careers in life. I will be there shortly now that I got my internship.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,931,738 times
Well, there's one profound question that I'd like to ask you all:

Would you rather be in my shoes or in my brother's shoes?

Also, for those of you saying "dude you make $75K, what are you complaining about?" Well, $75K is just average for my metropolitan area. It's not great, believe it or not. An entry level home here is $350K - $400K.

Last edited by nep321; 07-03-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:

Your brothers shoes. He's always happy, no matter what.

Why would I possibly want to be in your shoes? Even if you were the taller, smarter, better looking, richer brother I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,734,632 times
Quote:

Also, for those of you saying "dude you make $75K, what are you complaining about?" Well, $75K is just average for my metropolitan area. It's not great, believe it or not. An entry level home here is $350K - $400K.
I have no reason to compete with my siblings.

As long as I'm making enough to get everything I want and need (and I have a good job), I'm OK.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:37 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,009,479 times
Job hopping isn't a problem in this economy, job hopping is the only reason I make as much as I do now. If I hadn't moved around I'd probably be making $16/hr or something else crappy and be unhappy. I'm currently making more money than I ever have AND I LOVE my job. LOVE IT. So OP hop away to find something that makes you happy.

You'll never be happy if you constantly compare yourself to others. Time to learn to start counting your blessings, your health, your job, your friends, your family, etc. If you walk around being morose that you don't have what your brother has, well you'll never be happy.

I have friends who make more than I do, have a home, etc. I'm still renting (I'm 31 too btw), but TBH I'm focusing on myself and my life and I know I'm doing well for myself, and that I will continue to do better. I've told myself to stop comparing myself to others who are "better off" than I am, and make sure that I realize that in all actuality, with the state of this economy, I'm doing REALLY well.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,319,254 times
I know everyone is criticizing you harshly, but I'm here to say that it's natural. It's completely normal to be jealous. Just remember that everyone has a battle that they are fighting. Your brother may be battling depression, money troubles, not getting along with his significant other, and a plethora of other things. The grass isn't always greener. Be happy with where you are and keep working hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment