Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:13 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,882,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, it's not a long drawn out thing, but it IS quicker to just dump the coins and bills with a "here is your $xx in change" than it is to say "and two pennies makes $1.65, $1.75 and a quarter makes $2.00, $3.00 , $4.00, $5.00 and $5 makes $10 and another $10 makes $20. Dang, I could have the next customer halfway out the door before I'm done saying all that, especially when you have to add in all the mandatory scripted blah blah at the end of each transaction!
But you're exaggerating.

You would hand them all the change at once and say 2.00.

Then 3,4,5,10, 20.

That's about 3 seconds tops.

If it would take you such an extreme amount of time to do that in MY store, I'd have to let you go on day one. Which would be a probationary day, anyway.

Then again, employees have different goals than store OWNERS.

You guys want to rush the people OUT so you don't have to do anything but chat with your colleagues.

We want our DRAWER to balance and our customers to be happy.

Granted, NOW the registers tell the cashier how much to give back and the clerks just hand it back but some still count it out. But they're counting out the CHANGE not rounding it up to what the person handed them. So you STILL should be COUNTING whatever you're handing them, IMO.

I shut down McDonalds entire drive through window last week for a bit because of a change problem and made them reconcile the register right then and there LOL (but I wasn't laughing at the time). I was shorted $10.00 because the cashier was confused and handed me some wacky change that didn't match anything, then I handed it back to her in full and she handed me the wrong amount again and the whole thing was a mess.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-12-2014 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 08:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,882,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post

Exceptions are if I'm trying to maneuver my hands for something, or if the cashier isn't ready to take the money (this usually happens at my local Starbucks--the barrista usually starts my drink before they take my money.)
That is so weird you mentioned that!

I was in Target today killing time when my car was being serviced next door and there's a Starbucks there.

I never go there.

She did the exact same thing.

I gave my order, she rang it up but didn't reach out for my money but made the coffee.

So I put it on the counter and thought of this thread. And instead of the 10.00 bill I added change since I was just standing there with my hand in the air LOL.

Now that I think of it I do go through another Starbucks drive through and they NEVER give me a total till I pull up to pay.

They must have some weird training there or something. Maybe make the coffee first to be sure the customer really wants that size since it's not in ENGLISH haha.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,899,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
As any cashier you need to recount the money that has been given to you, and give the customer any leftover bills before you open the register. Then you need to count their change ( because they have the right to count the change again, in front of you ), and give it back to them. It depends on the type of cashier/store/facility you work in. The higher up you go, the more strict they are. I love the strictness, of money counting.
I had a lady one day accuse me of not trusting her because I counted the money she gave me. I told her it wasn't a matter of trust and she'd be surprised how many people give me too much. I just want to make sure they aren't getting shorted. All she could say is, "Oh...".

Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, it's not a long drawn out thing, but it IS quicker to just dump the coins and bills with a "here is your $xx in change" than it is to say "and two pennies makes $1.65, $1.75 and a quarter makes $2.00, $3.00 , $4.00, $5.00 and $5 makes $10 and another $10 makes $20. Dang, I could have the next customer halfway out the door before I'm done saying all that, especially when you have to add in all the mandatory scripted blah blah at the end of each transaction!
I hear what you're saying but it still just isn't that complicated. lol I just take the customer's lead and usually it's okay. One thing I've learned in my many years of customer service is this...you are damned if you do and damned if you don't so just do what YOU think is best.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
I always give the money to the cashier in their hand. I've seen customers put it on the counter and although I don't find it rude, I find it kinda impersonal. Those are usually the types who refuse eye contact and a quick hello/smile to the cashier.

Just seems they dislike human interaction.
Most of my customers hand me the bills but count out the change, penny by penny, on the counter. No biggie.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM

16,065 posts, read 21,115,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Granted, NOW the registers tell the cashier how much to give back and the clerks just hand it back but some still count it out. But they're counting out the CHANGE not rounding it up to what the person handed them. So you STILL should be COUNTING whatever you're handing them, IMO.
Dang, I did say it wasn't a huge issue. And I'm the one who gets to balance all those drawers at night so yeah, I want my cashiers to get it right. But I am talking about counting change BACK, as in if they give me a twenty, the last thing I say is 'and $x makes twenty'- not just counting it out. Different process that I think has gone the way of dial up telephones, a relic of the past, lol.
I came up when counting change back was expected, now it seems that if I count change back I get a slightly confused look more often than not, and the occasional request to recount it if they totally didn't follow at all. So yeah, I rarely do it anymore.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM

398 posts, read 470,552 times
I'm a cashier, and this gets on my nerves. Sometimes I think that the people that come through my line think I'm a robot or Android, maybe I'm made out of metal and glass?

I try to treat every customer the same, which is treating them well and with kindness. But I don't always receive it back. I'm learning how to grow a thicker skin with the ones who are overgrown babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment