Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:34 AM

168 posts, read 240,902 times

Advertisements

So, I got a job offer recently. However, they are doing a full background check etc and I noticed that they pulled my credit.

Up until 2 years ago, I have had perfect credit. Never missed a payment in my life. But then divorce happened and my credit went from 800 to I think somewhere in the 500s now.

Should I send a proactive email to the HR person stating that I have bad credit because of a divorce? Or just let it be and see what they decide? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 06:34 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
A credit score is a credit score. You have nothing to lose by the email, but they might have a high credit score only hire policy.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM

168 posts, read 240,902 times
Actually the score is 667, but still low by my standards. I'll write them an email and hope for the best. This isn't a financial company though, so we'll see.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Your credit score is fair. But IMO shouldn't they do they all of that before offering you a position?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
Your credit score is fair. But IMO shouldn't they do they all of that before offering you a position?
Of course they should, same thing with a background check. I'm always shocked when I see posts like this, someone is hired, starts the job, and than has to worry about background/credit checks.

Really doesn't make any sense for either the employee or the employer.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:46 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
So, I got a job offer recently. However, they are doing a full background check etc and I noticed that they pulled my credit.

Up until 2 years ago, I have had perfect credit. Never missed a payment in my life. But then divorce happened and my credit went from 800 to I think somewhere in the 500s now.

Should I send a proactive email to the HR person stating that I have bad credit because of a divorce? Or just let it be and see what they decide? Thanks.
First, employers do not pull your Credit Score. Credit scores are meaningless as to any useful information. They pull a consumer credit report which list any judgement, late payments, write offs, bankruptcy, defaults, etc. This is the detailed accounting of the last 7 years.

As to why they waited, in some states, a consumer credit report can not be run by state law until an offer has been made to the candidate. In some other states, they can not be ran until a candidate is an employee. You also have employers who could care less about your past credit, they are looking to see if you properly disclosed something you were asked to disclose on the application/background check form.

You know better the type of company you applied to and that will determine if a financial confession is in order. One company may be thankful, another think your a kook. If you are being hired in the financial or banking industry, yep, you will have to explain it in detail, but otherwise, why not just wait to see what they say.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 PM

20 posts, read 29,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Of course they should, same thing with a background check. I'm always shocked when I see posts like this, someone is hired, starts the job, and than has to worry about background/credit checks.

Really doesn't make any sense for either the employee or the employer.
I completely agree. I went through the interview process with a Fortune 500 company. They flew me to the interview, put me in a hotel, all that stuff. They invested a lot of time in me. After I was offered the job and we negotiated location, the last thing they did was the background check. I didn't have any problems, but what if I did? A lot of money down the drain if so.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
If they did a background check they know you are divorced ....

Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Mentioning a divorce is not going to help you get a job, and would not be considered a good "excuse" for a lower credit score. I would not say anything unless asked, and then try to come up with another, more generic way to explain, such as "family obligations". Divorce is very common, at about 50% of marriages, but it's still considered a negative by many employers.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post

No. If it's a big deal, then they'll ask you what happened.

If they really want you for the job, then it won't matter.

If they don't, then it will be used as an excuse not to hire you.

Don't stress about it.

Until the government makes it illegal to pull credit reports for jobs that don't require it, then it's something people will have to deal with. The president failed on this front. Miserably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment