Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 PM

384 posts, read 349,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow, our abysmal college educations must be why so many foreigners come to America to attend college. Yup.
You make no sense. The fact that we have great graduate programs doesn't make up for our undergraduate programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Really? Yeah I had some bad classes in college for software engineering, but only at the entry level. once I got past the first level classes my education was incredible.
Again, you're talking about a graduate program...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 06:36 PM

322 posts, read 384,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
It's not just two companies. The entire tech industry is in need of competent computer scientists.

I agree with you 100% that we shouldn't be importing them (in the long term). Instead, as a nation, we should start producing adequately skilled people in larger numbers. However, it hasn't been a priority for us, unfortunately. We seem to feel perfectly fine producing low quality graduates in large numbers.
What do you qualify as a computer scientist? Someone who has a BS degree in computer science? An MS? There are very rigorous CS programs across the nation that graduate thousands of excellent students every year. Many of them are actually overqualified for the jobs that are available. I see very few jobs where I live that are explicitly looking for "computer scientists." When they are looking for a computer scientist, the required education listed is normally a PhD and there are plenty of PhD candidates in the pipeline.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
$40/hr is not well? I'd be happy as a clam if I made that much.
Amazon is on a hiring binge in Washington. Silicon Valley, in general, is looking for people.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
What do you qualify as a computer scientist? Someone who has a BS degree in computer science? An MS? There are very rigorous CS programs across the nation that graduate thousands of excellent students every year. Many of them are actually overqualified for the jobs that are available. I see very few jobs where I live that are explicitly looking for "computer scientists." When they are looking for a computer scientist, the required education listed is normally a PhD and there are plenty of PhD candidates in the pipeline.
Only a quarter of those Computer Science PhD candidates are Americans. The rest of the class is made up of foreigners.

The companies end up hiring more than quarter of the graduating class, so there must be a demand more
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf13331/pdf/nsf13331.pdf

Old 07-14-2014, 06:48 PM

322 posts, read 384,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Only a quarter of those Computer Science PhD candidates are Americans. The rest of the class is made up of foreigners.

The companies end up hiring more than quarter of the graduating class, so there must be a demand more
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf13331/pdf/nsf13331.pdf
I've checked the demographics for the MS Computer Science program at the local state university and about 95% of the current students are foreign.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon_of_Akkad View Post
I think they may have been aware of my presence on these forums and my harsh criticisms of their hiring and b2b practices. A part of me is relieved to be out of that toxic environment but now the search for a new job begins...
I'm so sorry to hear that. It's brutal in DFW.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
I think they may have been aware of my presence on these forums and my harsh criticisms of their hiring and b2b practices. A part of me is relieved to be out of that toxic environment but now the search for a new job begins...

Really sorry to hear this, Sargon, but it's telling that part of you is relieved due to the toxic environment.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a new job. Please keep us posted.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:35 PM

45 posts, read 53,551 times
Thanks guys. DFW is brutal. I don't have an extensive IT background so I doubt I can get another job like this without going through another one of these shady staffing companies. I'm just going to try and go out to networking events and find things that are somewhat related like technical writing.

I'm also considering throwing in the towel in regards to white collar work and apprenticing in a skilled trade.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
They may seem competent on paper... but once you get to the interview process, it becomes very evident. This is why silicon valley hires the majority of American hires from only a small number of schools. We only have a small number of schools in the U.S. that product competent computer scientists. (We're not talking about IT, here. Since IT is an easier discipline, we are able to produce a fair amount of IT workers.)
Why do you insist on denigrating American citizen STEM/IT workers? Please explain.

Did you read post #104 in this thread? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. DFW is brutal. I don't have an extensive IT background so I doubt I can get another job like this without going through another one of these shady staffing companies. I'm just going to try and go out to networking events and find things that are somewhat related like technical writing.

I'm also considering throwing in the towel in regards to white collar work and apprenticing in a skilled trade.
Consider it a good thing. While excellent in technical areas, their management style leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully you find a better opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment