Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 PM

659 posts, read 1,172,658 times

Advertisements

My two cents based upon the assumption that the net income benefit is probably at least 20k per annum or more and the federal retirement benefit package can't be beat by whatever you have invested in up until this point...

buy a small condo/townhome near new job and find a roommate, sleep there 2-3 days a week to maximize rest... when shift changes you can sell or use as rental prop, thereby producing more retirement $$$ as well

yoga and melatonin to improve daytime sleep

find out if 3-12's or 4-10's overnight is an option instead of 5 night shifts/ week

use extra $$$ to shore up emergency fund, eliminate debt thereby reducing STRESS

use extra income for several 3-7 day vacation or R&R getaways so you feel rejuvenated, even a spa day followed by a day off may give you the extra you need to press forward

pay a college student to do errands and housekeeping on Fridays before you return home so your weekends are truly restful and not full of household catchup stuff

treat your days like nights and don't trying to do everything for others, just go to sleep

Last edited by UNITYinternational; 07-07-2014 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
So annoyed by your post. You knew the deal when you took the job. So many healthcare professionals would kill for that opportunity, and to think you got it an now are considering leaving? Ridiculous. Please quit and let someone else take that job of a lifetime.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Hey guys, recently took a Govt job (RN). Instead of writing a big narrative, I'm laying out the pros and cons with each position.

New Job: 70% (not making that up) pay increase, Federal benefits, retirement, vacation time that adds up very quick (8 hours each pay period, 4 hrs of sick time per pp). The work is generally easier
The cons: Night shift. I used to work nights several years ago, but as I get into my early 40's, my body just isn't liking the transition. The job is an hour away from our home. So combine a 8AM ride home after working nights-yuck. Red tape with job, I believe the Feds could slaughter an entire forest just processing paperwork for a single new hire.

Old Job: Literally five minutes from the house, day shifts. So I would be home every evening. very laid back management. Get along great with my old coworkers, a family type environment almost. Benefits are solid, but does not offer the retirement that the Federal govt does.
Cons: Pay is quite a bit lower. Potential for moving up is pretty much nil, unless I go back and get a master's degree or DNP.

I put a feeler out with a friend and former coworker about coming back. I pretty much would have a green light to come back, as I'm already trained, and they are short staff at this time. I really want the new job to work out, but nights just don't work out for me. They did at one time, but along the course of my hiring process, I lost my father, and really find comfort being at home with my family and in my old co workers, who were very supportive during the time. The potential for me to go day shifts at the govt job is there, but would take a year or two most likely.
The combination of losing your father, starting a new job, and working nights is a lot of stress atll at one time. It does not surprise me that it is taking you a little bit of time to adjust. My advice would be to stick it out for a year or so and try to make the change to days when you can. A 70% raise is ALOT of money.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Nights are the absolute worse. If somebody has never worked it before, they should not comment as they don't realize the toll it takes to work them. You never feel fully rested. I can honestly say I think the reason my brother in law passed away was working nights. It's just not worth any amount of money. Quit and go back to days.
I worked nights for 15+ years. It can be done. You just have to be disciplined and guard your sleep. I slept with a noisy fan on so others would not disturb me. I also had a 100 mile RT commute daily in Minnesota where the weather was guaranteed to be awful more than half the time.

I would be willing to sacrifice a whole lot for a 70% increase and a job with a government pension. Especially if I could move closer to work!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Here's the bottom line. Tomorrow you turn 65. What will the financial situation look like comparing both jobs? Now what about potential survivor benefits for your wife? There's your answer. Do what's best for your family.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 AM

346 posts, read 550,668 times
Working nights is rough, but it seems like you can accrue vacation days (plus sick) quite fast. If I'm you, I'd schedule a week of vacation every 3-4 months to recharge. You don't even need to go anywhere, a staycation to relax is just as good.

Also, as a lot of others already suggested I'd look into moving closer to the office.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
It's probably just transitioning to a new job. Once I get a few days off, I can relax and get rested up. The benefits and pay are too good. Probably would be more practical to move closer in the next year or two.
I myself am relieved when I am able to appreciate the 'talk' I have with myself in order to sort through the pros and cons of any situation. My heart and psyche feel at one with each other.

Pace yourself and enjoy your new found benefits and before you know it you will be working days, if that's what you want by then.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
This is a highly unusual situation. I am a retired Federal employee and there has always been a tradeoff with Federal service.....lower pay in exchange for the pension and bennies.

If a Fed job is paying more than a comparable private sector job....something is seriously out of whack with that private sector job. And 70% more? I've never heard of such a thing...especially for a skilled position like RN.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM

585 posts, read 492,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
One of my best friends worked the all night shift for 35 years.

He came out of it just fine. He's partially retired, only works 2 days a week now - the all night shift.
If somebody has never worked it before, they should not comment as they don't realize the toll it takes to work them.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM

585 posts, read 492,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I worked nights for 15+ years. It can be done. You just have to be disciplined and guard your sleep. I slept with a noisy fan on so others would not disturb me. I also had a 100 mile RT commute daily in Minnesota where the weather was guaranteed to be awful more than half the time.

I would be willing to sacrifice a whole lot for a 70% increase and a job with a government pension. Especially if I could move closer to work!
Yes, it can be done, but your overall quality of life suffers. We only go around once and if given a choice most folks I know who have and who still are would choose not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment