Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Ok, now you're not reading what I said.

I said counting those who collect UI IS still used as ONE factor used in determining who's unemployed (and thus the calculation of the UE rate), but it's NOT the ONLY factor used.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you said counting those who collect UI is NOT a factor used when determining the UE rate.

Yes, you said the italicized. That statement is incorrect. Just flat out wrong. Counting those who collect UI is not a factor at all in the calculation of the (Federal) UE rate.

It just is not. It is completely irrelevant to the calculation of the UE rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, you said the italicized. That statement is incorrect. Just flat out wrong. Counting those who collect UI is not a factor at all in the calculation of the (Federal) UE rate.

I mean, I posted the section about how the rate is calculated straight from the source: the BLS. It can be right in front of your face, and some people will still not believe it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I mean, I posted the section about how the rate is calculated straight from the source: the BLS. It can be right in front of your face, and some people will still not believe it.

People want to believe it is because they want to believe that the unemployment rate is jiggered and manipulated. It has flaws, for sure, it is only really useful as a relative index, but the compiling of the rate is very purposely protected from administration interference. Even within the Bureau the different component calculations are compartmentalized to such a degree that they have no idea what the others are coming up with to prevent manipulation. Seriously, if it was open to manipulation, would any administration allow it to get as large as it did? No administration would allow that.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Aren't they good at spinning the numbers? The reason the unemployment rate fell to its lowest is because they cut people off after 26 weeks starting in December. Unemployment numbers haven't dropped - the number of people ON unemployment has dropped.
Exactly. No one is fooled by these false reports.

We won't even count the hundreds of thousands who were denied benefits over the years and who were never counted to begin with.

There are no jobs and no matter of lying or "spinning" the truth will make people believe otherwise.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:

What absurd type of logic would make you think a clear cut, straightforward count of unemployed Americans would not be a factor in the UE rate?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Exactly. No one is fooled by these false reports.

We won't even count the hundreds of thousands who were denied benefits over the years and who were never counted to begin with.

There are no jobs and no matter of lying or "spinning" the truth will make people believe otherwise.

Wow .. WRONG on all counts ...

Old 07-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
With what absurd logic would make you think a clear cut, straightforward count of unemployed Americans would not be a factor in the UE rate?
That is a completely different question, but lets start with that there is no counting of either who is unemployed (there is sampling via a survey), nor is there any compiling of who is (or is not) receiving unemployment benefits, in the calculation on the Federal Unemployment Rate. It is not a factor at all in the calculation.

It just seems like you have no idea how the unemployment rate is calculated. It is public information and it has been posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Once again, denial of unemployment benefits, applying for unemployment benefits, no longer receiving unemployment benefits because they ran out... none of those have one little bit to do with the calculation of the Federal unemployment rate. Total non factor. The question isn't even asked when the rate is compiled.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 AM

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Quote:
What absurd type of logic would make you think a clear cut, straightforward count of unemployed Americans would not be a factor in the UE rate?
If you're referring to the official U/E rate put out by the BLS, there is a clear-cut method used for establishing it. I posted that earlier in this thread, as well a direct link to the BLS page on U/E statistics. They explained why they don't just count every person who's on unemployment insurance and it's for the very reason why you think it's flawed. That's why they don't do it that way. As timberline742 put it, the BLS U/E rate is more of a relative index than an exact representation. But they're surveying around 110,000 people, so it's probably pretty indicative as far as surveys go.

Please refer to Post #24 for more information.

Last edited by 4DM1N; 07-08-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
That is a completely different question...
No, it's the exact same question re-phrased differently. You've just failed to read my posts.

Quote:
but lets start with that there is no counting of either who is unemployed (there is sampling via a survey), nor is there any compiling of who is (or is not) receiving unemployment benefits, in the calculation on the Federal Unemployment Rate. It is not a factor at all in the calculation.

It just seems like you have no idea how the unemployment rate is calculated. It is public information and it has been posted.
The citation from the BLS states that the UI count does not show COMPLETE unemployment numbers, which is correct.

But can you show me where did they say it's not a factor at all?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Yep, thousands and thousands of part-time, low wage, no benefit jobs available, times are good again !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment