Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM

159 posts, read 292,186 times

Advertisements

You could be a pharmacutical sales rep.. they sell to companies. I'm not sure of all the requirements but I think it would be worth checking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 PM

898 posts, read 937,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstead245 View Post
6 years, can you please tell me the break down of what you did? I did soul sucking jobs and such as well, did you go back to school? I am considering going back to school option, but thats more debt and more stress. Now for the pharmacy option, I don't know too much about it and the only thing I can think of is being a pharmacist or pharm tech. Is there anything I could do in a business sense like starting a company or not having to do pharmacist and such?
What about pharmaceutical sales? Google "pharmaceutical companies", go on to their respective web sites, and see what kinds of jobs/internships they have available. You might be surprised by what you find.

My first job out of college paid me about $2/hr more than my last job out of college. I hated the pay, but I liked the people I worked with and it provided me an opportunity to make a living in the city I wanted to live in while gaining some very good experience. I stayed there for about three years and earned a couple promotions that came with some decent salary bumps.

My 2nd job out of college paid a little better. This was the soul-sucking job. It took me about six months to realize I absolutely hated it. I looked for other jobs for the entire two years I was there. I did get a promotion that led to a sizable pay bump. I also gained some valuable experience in a different field that I am still working in.

That led me to the job I have now. It's in the same field as the 2nd job, but I'm doing a more technical/specialized job in that field. The pay bump for taking this job was relatively big ($10k+). And that's where I am now. I really like my job, I really like the people I work with, and I'm gaining even more valuable experience that I can parlay into a better job down the road in, let's say, 2-3 years.

So it can take time to really hit your stride in your career. Some folks are fortunate enough to land great jobs right out of college. My degree wasn't really in a hot marketable technical field, so it took some extra navigating for me to get to where I'm at now. But overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
lol on the basement troll. I feel that since I took a year off already I didn't do much. Plus I feel like that is just an escape when I haven't tackled the real issue which is finding a good career to get financial independence. Plus my dad is growing tired of supporting my ass and threatened to kick me out. I don't think he would tho cause my mom is awesome, if he does I will never talk or see him again. I haven't talked to him for a long time cause he made me very depressed and stressed out about this stuff.
A vacation is an escape. What I'm talking about is an adventure... something that you do yourself on your own time/own dime that is challenging, difficult, thrilling, potentially dangerous (or at least involves unpleasant consequences should you screw up or get lazy) and is ultimately personally empowering.

If nothing else, move out. Get a crap job, a crap apartment, furnish it with hand-me-downs and salvation army finds and start working your way up. Accept a lower standard of living for right now and start building a responsible job history AND your independence.

Confucius say: Before you can climb to the top, you have to get on the ladder.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
6 years, can you please tell me the break down of what you did? I did soul sucking jobs and such as well, did you go back to school? I am considering going back to school option, but thats more debt and more stress. Now for the pharmacy option, I don't know too much about it and the only thing I can think of is being a pharmacist or pharm tech. Is there anything I could do in a business sense like starting a company or not having to do pharmacist and such?

I'm jumping in since I suggested pharma. I'm talking about the pharmaceutical labs, not pharmacies. You may be able to get a job in research at a pharmaceutical company. They are always hiring, they pay a lot of money and it's an industry that's not going away.

A friend of mine was telling me when his daughter graduated with (I believe) a general science degree one of the big pharma companies hired her for $70K salary and bonus right out of school. This was about 10 years ago, however, so pay could have gone down.

It's something worth looking into given your background.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM

98 posts, read 81,648 times
interesting, I will take a look. I am not particularly interested in working the lab, more healthcare setting communicating with diff people. Btw what do you guys do for a living?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:05 PM

193 posts, read 405,195 times
So, you will talk to us, strangers, on an Internet forum but won't talk to your Dad. He knows you better than we do. He's been footing the bills and trying to help you out for a long time. You know he loves you. Before you decide not to ever speak to him again, why don't you admit to him that you're stuck and need some advice.
Today would have been my youngest son's 38th birthday. He passed away 9 years ago. I wish that he and I had talked more.
BTW, my career was the Navy, first enlisted and then officer. There were hard times, good times and I was good at it. There was never a time when everything coasted along without a care in the world. There are mortgages, braces for the kids, more school clothes, insurance payments, student loans, alimony, child support, expensive cars (for her), and so on.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,866 times
you can get a job as a dishwasher. there is always work. and it would give you plenty of time to think about what you would like to do everyday for the rest of your life. Finding what you like to do is easier than finding what someone will pay you to do. Do not hold back on the things you would love to do because a job doesn't offer you a big title or a big pay check.when you do what you love to do everyday and you pull your financial weight at home you will have a clear head.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:49 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A vacation is an escape. What I'm talking about is an adventure... something that you do yourself on your own time/own dime that is challenging, difficult, thrilling, potentially dangerous (or at least involves unpleasant consequences should you screw up or get lazy) and is ultimately personally empowering.

If nothing else, move out. Get a crap job, a crap apartment, furnish it with hand-me-downs and salvation army finds and start working your way up. Accept a lower standard of living for right now and start building a responsible job history AND your independence.

Confucius say: Before you can climb to the top, you have to get on the ladder.
Fully agree! At 23, you have no long-term commitments and/or responsibilities. And mobility is not expensive if you don't insist on "on demand" travel. Finding "fill-in" jobs isn't difficult -- so long as you don't have any "mis-behavioral issues" following you around. And my first step in hunting for quarters when I was on the road was often a visit to a local bar -- so long as it wasn't a "dive".

Back in 1999, I found myself facing unemployment with no immediate prospects. I packed the car and decided upon Omaha -- a place where I knew no one, but which has a reputation for chronic labor shortages -- probably due in par to younger peoples' disdain for the stability / boredom (take your pick).

I drove into town on a Sunday morning, was working (Labor-Ready) by Thursday, had a temp-to-perm a week later and, when my trusty (140,000 mi) wheels gave up the ghost the following spring, got a reliable pickup truck and a courier's job to pay for it.

I was 50 years of age at the time; that's how it can work once you've learned to play the game.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-07-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 PM

98 posts, read 81,648 times
I have a fill in job, I work at a hospital, but not what I want to do with my life. its entry level position

Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 PM

260 posts, read 428,008 times
I JUST got out of the "unemployed" group after 5 1/2 years of desperate searching for anything, and now I am scrubbing toilets for a living, and I consider that to be a HUGE accomplishment for me. You should understand that working at all is building your resume and showing employers that you have some kind of commitment. I just turned 24 and am still living with my parents, and I can really feel the disappointment from my dad. Sure I was depressed about it, and still am, but the fact that I am working (entry level, part time) gives me hope again that maybe someday I can make something out of myself, or at least be able to move out.
I agree fully with the other posters. Look into your interests, because if you don't do that then the other "high paying" jobs out there will probably be considered soul-sucking too. I have a degree in Professional Writing (broad enough) but when I need to be specific I say "with emphasis in technical and digital writing." There are ways to re-word things with certain majors. Still haven't found that perfect job yet, but to have a minimum wage part time job... It's wonderful! At least you're getting money, no matter how little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment