Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times

Advertisements

More to the story or not, bottom line is that you kow where you stand working under that manager and supervisor. It's not a good spot, the mgr wasn't going to give you more in teh first place and after this all happened with the supervisor, he surely is never going to give you more.

I'd keep my head down, do the work and look for other opportunities.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I have been scheduling one-on-one meetings w/my manager every couple of months in an attempt to move forward and be promoted. I've been w/the company for almost 10 yrs and am still in an entry level position. I have worked hard and feel I've earned it.

My last meeting w/him he said that to be in a leadership role that I have a long way to go. When I questioned him what skills am I missing, he spent 15 min going over the top five things he looks for from someone. His #1 skill is trust, he needs to trust that person. He said "if there was a knife on the table, and my back was turned, you would stab me". I was shocked. It changed the whole direction of our meeting, and I haven't forgotten those words. He didn't go into why he felt that way, and sadly I didn't pursue it any further since I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him.

That was about a month ago. Last week I had my bonus review meeting w/my supervisor and my raise was very small, 1%, and my bonus went down from past yrs. My supervisor is well aware of my attempts to move forward in the dept. I decided to confide in him and tell him what the manager had said, and how that affected me. I not only was stunned by the comment, but I was hurt. I've always been completely up front and honest, yet I watch most of the newer and/or younger employees play games and manipulate.

After that meeting, my supervisor went right to my manager and apparently told him what I said and I was called in the room with the two of them. I reminded my manager what he said to me, what we had been talking about leading up to his comment. He flat out denied saying it and kept nervously laughing. I could tell he was lying. He knows what he said.

Anyway, what do you make of it? Isn't it a strange comment for a manager to say to an employee? What do you think about my supervisor immediately going to him and telling him? BTW, the manager and supervisor are long time buddies and friends outside of work.
I think you have your head in the sand...you've been in the same entry level job for 10 yrs and haven't moved up once and you think the problem is with your manager?? No, the problem is you....you just don't have the leadership skills your manager is looking for. There's nothing wrong with that..some people have them and some people don't.

Your supervisor is the one you really need to be talking to about your shortcomings...they work much closer with you on a daily basis and that 1% raise screams red flags to me.........if you can't see the writing on the wall, you're in trouble. Big time.

I dont' see anything wrong with what he said...he basically said "I don't trust you...." and I'm guessing he wont' after you pulled that little stunt with the supervisor...you should've talked to your manager about what your manager said. I'd be on the look out for another job....

Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
I'm pretty sure that in his mind the fact that you told his supervisor what he said counts as stabbing him in the back. Look for another job - you will never go anywhere in this one, obviously.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Go work for a competitor and be done with it. I can't believe you stayed there so long. Also if you had a different for 6 years, why didn't you advance then?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
Quote:
His #1 skill is trust, he needs to trust that person. He said "if there was a knife on the table, and my back was turned, you would stab me". I was shocked. It changed the whole direction of our meeting, and I haven't forgotten those words. He didn't go into why he felt that way, and sadly I didn't pursue it any further since I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with him.

After that meeting, my supervisor went right to my manager and apparently told him what I said and I was called in the room with the two of them. I reminded my manager what he said to me, what we had been talking about leading up to his comment. He flat out denied saying it and kept nervously laughing. I could tell he was lying. He knows what he said.
Wow! Your manager was right...you stabbed him in the back. Why would you go tell your supervisor, unless you want to be fired? The 1% raise was a big clue....management sticks with management! You literally killed any chance of getting promoted by running your mouth.

Start looking for a new job.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
yea I agree with the posters. you don't bite the hand that feeds you by snitching. anybody who stays at a company for 10 years these days is not promotion material. that person is a skater...a coaster...a cog in the wheel. you either have ambitions ...or you don't. if you don't that's fine. but don't act like these people care that you were "loyal" by staying stuck there for 10 years. loyalty is myth. you stay a few years, learn the job, upgrade your skills...maybe get another degree or some kind of technical knowledge that gets you promoted, and you move on, doll. that's how you do it in "corporate America." if you want to move up in corporate. 10 years in the same position at the same company is 1950s style working...not the present. but yes, you nixed yourself by snitching on him. you won't get anything out of these people.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:

I did start applying for other jobs, so fingers crossed something better will come along.
I have my fingers crossed for you. Time to move onto bigger and better things.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Wow, well first after 10 years and still in an entry position you should be able to see that it's not happening. What your boss said was wrong, but it should have been crystal clear after that meeting that you had no future at this company.

Going to your bosses boss was not a smart move. Nothing good EVER comes from doing this and you will always lose. Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson about the real world.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he finds some way to get rid of you. I would be out looking for a new job as soon as possible.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
There is really no more to the story, that's what makes his comment so bizarre.

I did start applying for other jobs, so fingers crossed something better will come along.
I would encourage you to immediately join Toastmasters. There are a series of types of speeches that you will practice and deliver as well as practice learning to speak extemporaneously. It sounds as if you need to develop these skills.

You will also get to know mid level managers from businesses and nonprofits around your community. Great for networking.

It's a terrific organization for those who want to get ahead.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Some employees cannot be developed beyond where they are. The manager said the OP had a long way to go before being ready for promotion even though OP has been under this manager 4 years. That means they have been under other managers also, and no one has seen fit to promote the OP in the 10 years of employment with this company. This would indicate they have not seen leadership, management or ability beyond the entry level positions. OP, I would ask for a specific plan of what they want to see from you in order to move up. They obviously don't think you have what it takes, so show them. The knife in the back comment sounds like they are concerned about gossip. Do you have a problem with yakking about other people's issues?

For sure there is more to this story.
Everyone can be developed. It may take longer and they may never get to more than one level above them, but you can find lateral ways to develop people who are of value.

ETA: The op was promoted but the department was phased out, we later learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment