Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM

589 posts, read 695,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course it is. When you've entered the workforce full time as an adult, you should have had some experience already.
This may shock you but when a person is entering a new field, they don't usually have experience in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,734,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course it is. When you've entered the workforce full time as an adult, you should have had some experience already.
^^^This has to be the dumbest posts I've ever read on this forum...

Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 AM

35,043 posts, read 31,233,730 times
Because there is a surplus of available, qualified candidates with experience, so they can simply decline those with none. It is no more complicated than that.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 AM

898 posts, read 937,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
This may shock you but when a person is entering a new field, they don't usually have experience in it.
But you should have some experience, whether in that field or another.

I've already stated it once, and I guess I'll have to repeat myself. I secured my first job out of college with zero experience in the field I was accepting a job in. However, I had other work experience that I parlayed into valuable experience for this next job. If I remember correctly, the job ad stated that the employer was looking for someone with some experience in the field. Just because they want a perfect candidate (which they have every right to ask for), it doesn't mean they will get it. There are probably hundred of thousands of people more qualified than me. But I got the job because I was probably the best available in that particular applicant pool. Don't discount the fact that job hunting is also a numbers game, regardless of how qualified you may be. If there is someone who's more qualified than you in the running, they may get the job over you.

Bottom line: You should not be deterred from applying to a job ad that requests that you have X years of experience in ZZZ field/industry, within reason of course. As long as you have transferable skills that align with most of the ad, I'd go ahead and apply.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
^^^This has to be the dumbest posts I've ever read on this forum...
Really? Do people believe themselves to be above working in high school anymore? That counts as "experience" by the way. I started out as a dish washer and navigated my way upwards from there by way of work experience and education.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM

6,443 posts, read 9,798,415 times
I think the new meaning of entry level is minimum pay. Entry level no longer means no experience.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,762,373 times
This is the norm today, unfortunately. Employers won't hire someone with no experience over someone with experience. That's why you have to have something on your resume. I did work study in college and worked full/parttime at my college. That's considered experience.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,734,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Do people believe themselves to be above working in high school anymore? That counts as "experience" by the way.
For one, not everyone can work in high school, and with the high number of people out of work already, not everyone can even get a job if they wanted to in high school. Should a 4.0 student be turned away for a job at McDonalds once they graduate because they chose to focus on their academics (this is just an example BTW)?

For two, I'm not sure what the poster meant by "experience." One can have all sorts of "experience", but that doesn't mean employers will find said experience relevant.

For three, everyone has to start somewhere before entering the "workforce" full time. If everyone used the logic of that poster, there would be no bottom for people to start at.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,584,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
Really? Do people believe themselves to be above working in high school anymore? That counts as "experience" by the way. I started out as a dish washer and navigated my way upwards from there by way of work experience and education.
Many people also believe themselves to be above working in college, based on what I've seen.

It's amusing how some people who cannot spell, don't know the difference between there, their and they're, are combative and complain about one thing after the next, actually believe they should have good paying jobs. Based on what? Ones opinion of oneself is not enough to score a good job. Until they face the fact that they aren't employable by any stretch of the imagination, they will always have this problem.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
For one, not everyone can work in high school, and with the high number of people out of work already, not everyone can even get a job if they wanted to in high school. Should a 4.0 student be turned away for a job at McDonalds once they graduate because they chose to focus on their academics (this is just an example BTW)?

For two, I'm not sure what the poster meant by "experience." One can have all sorts of "experience", but that doesn't mean employers will find said experience relevant.

For three, everyone has to start somewhere before entering the "workforce" full time. If everyone used the logic of that poster, there would be no bottom for people to start at.
All I can tell you is what's happened to me based on my experience. I didn't magically wake up one day and have a ton of relevant experience. I started working as a dishwasher in high school in the 10th grade. In my senior year, I applied and got a job as an admin asst. through the technical school I was attending along side my high school. I graduated high school with a 3.9, third in my class. In college, I worked as an admin, an accounting assistant, and a bus driver. My first job out of college in 2008 was in a field that I had no experience with. But I used my experience from my previous jobs and the education and skills I had accrued over time to secure that position.

I came from a pretty poor family and was the first to attend college at a public ivy. All I'm saying is that anything's possible if you get your mind straight. You can complain and make excuses for why the cards are stacked against you, but that doesn't really get you anywhere far. That is something I have also learned through experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment