Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM

13 posts, read 16,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I know some of you have tried really hard to get internships and jobs while in school to no avail, and I feel sorry for you. But I also know the level of commitment toward this isn't always what it should be. You have to put a lot of time into it and be committed to getting what you want.

The only reason my younger son got an internship at the end of sophomore year was because he spent much of his free time in sophomore year, trying to get an internship. He contacted financial companies that weren't running ads, he got dressed up and stopped in to talk to people. and he kept badgering a guy in his business fraternity who worked in a financial company to get him an interview, knowing the guy was graduating in June and a slot would open up. Their policy was that they only hired students entering Senior year, but finally, they brought my son in for an interview telling his buddy, to pass along to my son, that it was as a courtesy only and they wouldn't consider bringing him in to work before he was due to enter Senior year. In other words, they were doing it just to shut him up. Many would have said 'forget it' at this point, but he went in thinking that if he could get in front of someone he would have a chance, despite what they said. For whatever reason they were impressed, so they let him intern immediately and hired him three months later. Had my son been passive about this, it wouldn't have happened.

I know some of his friends turned down internships because they weren't going to be paid. Others didn't want to work during the school year. You can't be selective in this economy and you have to put a lot of time and energy into getting what you want. It's like a part-time job of its own, but if you aren't approaching it that way, you're already behind.
This pisses me off. Graduates with no experience are the worst. They don't know how to function in a business environment, and how to actually use skills and education. I rub up against this everyday in class, and I have called out some people on it.

Im a senior now, and I am holding a 9 month long unpaid grant writing/fundraising internship. all other internships have been unpaid.

Do i approach it as a screw off opportunity? hell no. I am basically more than an intern to the organization, and i treat it seriously, and as a way to gain connections, experience and deliverables ( I brought in xxx dollars in grants, I implemented a CRM/etc etc.

I just sat down with HR from Make a Wish Illinois, they were impressed and gave me a lot of advice to get into an entry level position. Would I have done this if i sat on my ass? no.

Do i wish i got paid? yes but thats why I have a part time job. my days are long but i am saving more and more. I do feel burned out at times, but then I look at my dreams and future and keep pushing.

Also my boss (Unpaid CEO of the organization), lets me watch her dogs for pay, and mentioned a bonus at the end of the year. Im a-ok with that, that is gravy on top of the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
This is why internships should be at least paid something. The real issue I would argue is more on status. If a intern is hurt for whatever reasons what specifically would support them during their injury? What insurance program is going to support someone getting injured at a worksite that is not a customer and not an employee?

The problem with internships in the past is that frankly institutions sought them as a way to obtain free labor and academia did to not have to pay faculty for a class. Another aspect is frankly if a student works with someone and they pass on or if that person leaves for whatever reason then it makes it harder to sell that validity.

This is why generally I see if there is no legal status or compensation then it is basically volunteering which is fine to a point.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:39 PM

85 posts, read 121,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosskin92 View Post
This pisses me off. Graduates with no experience are the worst. They don't know how to function in a business environment, and how to actually use skills and education. I rub up against this everyday in class, and I have called out some people on it.

Im a senior now, and I am holding a 9 month long unpaid grant writing/fundraising internship. all other internships have been unpaid.

Do i approach it as a screw off opportunity? hell no. I am basically more than an intern to the organization, and i treat it seriously, and as a way to gain connections, experience and deliverables ( I brought in xxx dollars in grants, I implemented a CRM/etc etc.

I just sat down with HR from Make a Wish Illinois, they were impressed and gave me a lot of advice to get into an entry level position. Would I have done this if i sat on my ass? no.

Do i wish i got paid? yes but thats why I have a part time job. my days are long but i am saving more and more. I do feel burned out at times, but then I look at my dreams and future and keep pushing.

Also my boss (Unpaid CEO of the organization), lets me watch her dogs for pay, and mentioned a bonus at the end of the year. Im a-ok with that, that is gravy on top of the experience.
I agree with this as well. I worked as an accounting clerk for two years for a car wash business in a really shady part of downtown LA. There were police sirens going on daily, gun fights, people being mugged on the street corner next to the building, and the job barely paid above minimum wage. I lived over 40 minutes away. I worked there almost every day.

For two years, I worked my butt off at that job for the experience. While other classmates looked for paid internships or jobs in better places, I was out working while doing full-time in school. I remember I often stayed after hours to help with counting inventory and cleaning up the place too. It sucked, but working in a place like that, I learned so freaking much.

You do what you gotta do. When I graduate, I'll have three whole years of accounting experience and I'll be CPA eligible right off the bat. How many fresh college graduates have that much direct experience working in their chosen field? Not very many, I can tell you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment