Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 AM

406 posts, read 557,898 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear from those who bit the bullet, took out student loans, and now have been working in the "real world" for some time... Was it worth it to take out those loans? How are you making a dent in them? Did the resulting degree really make a big difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:07 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,573,148 times
Absolutely. No regret here.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:21 AM

406 posts, read 557,898 times
I'm with you... I know it is different for everyone. I was excessive and stupid while taking out loans, but given the choice to have my ridiculous loans vs not attending school at all, I would take the loans all over again.

I am in a technical field where I suppose a minimum of a bachelor's degree is not *required*, it certainly helped me to get my first position out of school 4.5 years ago. Actually, I'm positive that I would not have been hired without it. In turn, that job put the experience on my resume, paid for my grad school and certifications, and I have since doubled my starting salary.

That being said... I still have a boatload of loans. However, I feel that I am now getting to a stable point where I can hammer down the loans within several years, be done with them, and still have my education and experience to propel me forward. Considering this, I really think that life this far would have been much more of a struggle without the degree.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM

210 posts, read 245,459 times
When I first graduated I didn't think they were. Took me almost two years to get into my actual field of study. Now I'm happy. I probably would have gone to a different school though if I could do it again.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 AM

8,954 posts, read 17,222,674 times
If I could relive my early 20s; yes, I would still have gone to college. I may have made some decisions different within that context as far as what loans I took out and why, but the end objective of a degree would not change.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,659,779 times
Of course.

But I didn't just expect to be "gifted" a career after college. I knew that the degree was only the beginning of a decade or two of paying my dues.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,832,893 times
Ofcourse. Its a good investment & I got an edge in the real world because I had a college degree. Its worth it & I would highly recommend it. Took me like 5yrs to become completely debt free so it was a struggle at first but now I am good.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:24 AM

898 posts, read 936,151 times
Six years ago, I'd probably have a different answer for you. But today I'm making more than double what I earned immediately out of college. My student loans will likely be paid off in the next couple of years. So, bottom line: No, no regrets. Although if I knew as a student what I know now, I'd probably have been pretty conservative with my money then. We were all young and naive at one point.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,775,284 times
I saved up for awhile and went later on. No loans were needed here. But because it was my own funds it created incentives for me to budget more to make it last.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 AM

3,890 posts, read 6,803,407 times
I think you will have a hard time trying to find someone with a good degree who says college wasn't worth the effort or cost. It certainly paid off big for me and my friends. On the other hand I know a lot of people who went to college and never finished. For them it must be a huge regret since its a double whammy. No degree for future revenue growth AND student debt, yikes.

My cousin went to a VERY expensive ($35k/year) private catholic college. She got some sort of degree for teaching religion only to find out that there was zero job opportunities. So she had piling student loan debt and now grows marijuana for medical use. That would be the select type of folks who probably regret college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment