Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 AM

384 posts, read 349,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Bottom line OP and other's, you are no better than the next person on City Data so hop off your soap box.
That's pretty much the OP's point. He's no better than anyone else. And able person is perfectly capable of lifting themselves to where they want to be. It's just a matter of putting in the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:49 AM

469 posts, read 637,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
That's pretty much the OP's point. He's no better than anyone else. And able person is perfectly capable of lifting themselves to where they want to be. It's just a matter of putting in the effort.
It may be OP's underlying point or it may not be. The point is he is assuming people are not putting in the effort and just want hands outs and sympathy. Additionally, he keeps going on and on about how much effort he has put in and blah, blah, blah to get where he is. It sounds more like an infomercial to me.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 AM

Also, the irony was not lost on me of creating a thread to rant and whine ABOUT people creating threads to rant and whine.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Eh?

My whole point is that the people who rant the loudest and judge the quickest about something like this usually have the LEAST amount of life experience, have dealt with the least amount of loss and have the biggest chips on their shoulders.

The ones who actually have survived traumatic experiences USUALLY are quiet in the face of such bluster because they know what it really takes to overcome. And they're often willing to help others overcome as well.

And there's a BIG difference between being compassionate and bending over.
Agree^^^

The OP may be doing well for himself but he still seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder.

The thing is mostly everyone has gone through hardships in their life and have had to work their way up through. I have had my share of adversity but I don't come on the internet ranting and raving about other people. I handle my own business. If a person is genuinely looking to improve their situation great, lend them a hand if not then simply distance your self from such people and pay them no mind. Going on these rants is NOT something that everyone who has been in your situation does. Many are humble and grateful for the life they lead.

Last edited by Ro2113; 07-20-2014 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Agree^^^

The OP may be doing well for himself but he still seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder.
The kicker is, that most of his longest self-promoting posts berating others for having poor work ethics were done during working hours(business hours).

Old 07-20-2014, 05:10 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Also, the irony was not lost on me of creating a thread to rant and whine ABOUT people creating threads to rant and whine.

I was about to post something similar.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
While its great the op got out of his less than ideal situation i dont buy the logic that if he can do it any one can do it.We are all subject to different levels of opportunity in life and no matter how hard you work you may never get to where you want to be.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While its great the op got out of his less than ideal situation i dont buy the logic that if he can do it any one can do it.We are all subject to different levels of opportunity in life and no matter how hard you work you may never get to where you want to be.
We may not get where the OP did but everyone can sure as hell try. For those saying the OP got a handout or hand up, at least h/she took advantage of it and wasn't like people from disadvantaged backgrounds who didn't look for or didn't take advantage of opportunities and just keep the cycle on going.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:46 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I think an issue here is that people cannot always take advantage opportunities due to past decisions and life circumstance. For example, my husband and I attended college later in life (I started in my late 20s and dh after I finished). I was single, able to live on nothing while in school, and had the life experience to plan and focus my efforts for success. Maturity really played a role for me. But, what if I had a child already or some other circumstance that did not give me the freedom needed? Things would not have turned out the same even though I would have technically still had access to the same opportunities.

Point being, I suspect things have to fall into place more than we realize.

eta: that's not to say I don't see the other side of the argument. There are folk who just get in their own way and waste time.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:52 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
make it clear that this next bit is not coming from some self entitled trust fund kid or something.

Given my own experience, I have no patience at all with people who try to make excuses for their lives. Poverty and a broken home are no excuse for being criminals or drug addicts. Anything you think you've experienced at home, I've seen it too. You want to act like you haven't gotten anywhere because mommy and daddy didn't love you enough? You're wrong. Everything that is wrong with your life (with the exception of medical problems that you didn't cause yourself) is YOUR OWN ****ING FAULT, .
Simply not true.

I tried and tried and tried and tried through crappy circumstances also and got a degree, did very well, but because I have a severe mental health condition, I have been unable to hold down even the most basic of jobs. No excuses; the condition (autistic spectrum) also means I have literally no social life. And yes, I have repeatedly given it my all.

The fact is, you do totally lack compassion, as others have pointed out; you come across as a thoroughly unpleasant individual, which totally nullifies any respect I might have had for you given your background circumstances. A lot of anger and hatred, and apparently the need to use profanity. Are you illiterate? This rambling would indicate so. Pride, contempt and conceitedness truly makes a poisonous cocktail, and you are that cocktail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment