Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 PM

149 posts, read 100,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Every bank teller I have seen around here work on their feet.
Normally they don't need to get up to do a typical transaction, they just sit in a chair.

More-so drive through. But that chair could be less comfortable as it often appears more like a tall stool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 325 times
Sir I am handicap 40 percentI want job I am work for office boy and pecking helper Computer basis knowledge certificate I am Indian i want job for gulf and other countries

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 400 times
Default You might have a condition known as Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

You may want to have your doctor do an Orthostatic heart rate test. I have something called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and it does the same thing to me. If your heart rate raises more than it should when changing positions, you may have POTS. One thing you can try before going to the doctor(primary, cardiologist, or neurologist) is to increase your water and sodium intake. When I was diagnosed my doctor told me to eat 10g of sodium (as in salt, specifically. Labels show more than just the sodium from salt) and to drink 2 liters of water or more a day. They also recommended trying exercises like swimming or where you lie down, move on to slow walking or sitting exercises, then to faster walking and slow biking exercises, then you can slowly start to do regular exercise like running. Do each part for about a month. When you have to sit for extended periods of time, it is best to elevate your legs, because with POTS your blood pools in your legs, making it hard for your heart to get oxygen to your brain. POTS does not do anything to your blood pressure for some reason, however. If you don’t improve very much, you should go to your primary doctor or to a cardiologist or neurologist (both can help with POTS). I recommend that you ask about medicines that could help. One thing my cardiologist mentioned was beta blockers. I hope that your condition improves!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseauara View Post
I'm nineteen and have never had a job before, but most of the entry-level jobs I come across require a lot of standing up (retail cashier, fast food, etc.). I have an unidentified and undocumented physical condition so I'm concerned about needing to "prove" my disability, but in the past I have been taken to the emergency room for it and had multiple blood tests done. Basically, I faint all the time. An hour standing in cool conditions will make me faint, and half an hour in warm conditions will do the same. I get dizzy just showering, and things like long lines at stores and concerts where I'm squished between people are my worst nightmares. I took a painting class last semester in college, and I dreaded it every day because it was four hours straight of standing at an easel. The professor let me sit down once it became clear that I was ill, though.

It's been years since I full-on collapsed since I can usually feel it coming on, but the last time it happened I hit my head on the hard floor and had a mild concussion so it's a quite serious issue. That was the emergency room visit. My unsupportive parent keeps telling me to just "get over it" if I want a job, but it's not like I can collapse at the register while helping a customer. I applied for a local entry-level front desk job, but I didn't get it. I can't drive and my area has poor public transportation so I'm limited to what I can walk to. I've found applications for all the nearby establishments that are hiring entry-levels, but they all mention in the application that "prolonged standing" is required and I'm starting to panic about the situation.

I've been reading up on the rights of disabled people in seeking employment, and one government document I read mentioned that it's not required for the disabled person to reveal their disability before they've been offered the job or hired. I'm wondering if I could get hired and then ask if I could have a stool or chair, but a lot of these places have work that I don't think can be done while sitting down. So are there places hiring people with ZERO experience where sitting is an option?

It's just really made me think about how difficult something as basic as applying to a mall store or McDonald's is for disabled people, especially those with far worse disabilities than mine. Mine doesn't even affect my everyday life since I can choose to sit if I get dizzy, but that would change if I was working a shift. I do hoop dancing which is my main form of exercise, but it requires so much moving around and bending that it gets my blood circulating better and I rarely feel dizzy doing it.

What do you think?
Just in case I posted my other reply incorrectly. I just joined.

You may want to have your doctor do an Orthostatic heart rate test. I have something called Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and it does the same thing to me. If your heart rate raises more than it should when changing positions, you may have POTS. One thing you can try before going to the doctor(primary, cardiologist, or neurologist) is to increase your water and sodium intake. When I was diagnosed my doctor told me to eat 10g of sodium (as in salt, specifically. Labels show more than just the sodium from salt) and to drink 2 liters of water or more a day. They also recommended trying exercises like swimming or where you lie down, move on to slow walking or sitting exercises, then to faster walking and slow biking exercises, then you can slowly start to do regular exercise like running. Do each part for about a month. When you have to sit for extended periods of time, it is best to elevate your legs, because with POTS your blood pools in your legs, making it hard for your heart to get oxygen to your brain. POTS does not do anything to your blood pressure for some reason, however. If you don’t improve very much, you should go to your primary doctor or to a cardiologist or neurologist (both can help with POTS). I recommend that you ask about medicines that could help. One thing my cardiologist mentioned was beta blockers. I hope that your condition improves!

Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseauara View Post
I'm nineteen and have never had a job before, but most of the entry-level jobs I come across require a lot of standing up (retail cashier, fast food, etc.). I have an unidentified and undocumented physical condition so I'm concerned about needing to "prove" my disability, but in the past I have been taken to the emergency room for it and had multiple blood tests done. Basically, I faint all the time. An hour standing in cool conditions will make me faint, and half an hour in warm conditions will do the same. I get dizzy just showering, and things like long lines at stores and concerts where I'm squished between people are my worst nightmares. I took a painting class last semester in college, and I dreaded it every day because it was four hours straight of standing at an easel. The professor let me sit down once it became clear that I was ill, though.

It's been years since I full-on collapsed since I can usually feel it coming on, but the last time it happened I hit my head on the hard floor and had a mild concussion so it's a quite serious issue. That was the emergency room visit. My unsupportive parent keeps telling me to just "get over it" if I want a job, but it's not like I can collapse at the register while helping a customer. I applied for a local entry-level front desk job, but I didn't get it. I can't drive and my area has poor public transportation so I'm limited to what I can walk to. I've found applications for all the nearby establishments that are hiring entry-levels, but they all mention in the application that "prolonged standing" is required and I'm starting to panic about the situation.

I've been reading up on the rights of disabled people in seeking employment, and one government document I read mentioned that it's not required for the disabled person to reveal their disability before they've been offered the job or hired. I'm wondering if I could get hired and then ask if I could have a stool or chair, but a lot of these places have work that I don't think can be done while sitting down. So are there places hiring people with ZERO experience where sitting is an option?

It's just really made me think about how difficult something as basic as applying to a mall store or McDonald's is for disabled people, especially those with far worse disabilities than mine. Mine doesn't even affect my everyday life since I can choose to sit if I get dizzy, but that would change if I was working a shift. I do hoop dancing which is my main form of exercise, but it requires so much moving around and bending that it gets my blood circulating better and I rarely feel dizzy doing it.

What do you think?
They are supposed to make 'reasonable accommodations' for employees with disabilities. I don't think a chair is unreasonable but it depends on the job.

What about a receptionist somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment