Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If I didn't know the person and they could spell no better, they'd be immediately disqualified from a position. If a person cannot spell better than that, they look like an imbecile.
Which to be fair, I feel is unfair. However it is an invisible disability compared to someone who had a leg amputated due to a war, cancer or something so it is very hard to prove it as being a form of discrimination. Perhaps harder than any other form of discrimination because it isn't visible. The most noticeable part of my delayed speech now if anything is r's and l's combined in a word speaking wise or hand writing (which is somewhat sloppy but it wasn't really told to be corrected for years in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
I was looking at Facebook and saw the profile of a guy I grew up with. He was always into theater, so he went to a local private school that cost around $30k annually just in tuition at the time. Five years post graduation, the guy's Facebook shows him as employed at Dunkin' Donuts and he has a picture of himself in his work uniform.

Do you know many people that have made such a grave professional and financial error?
So, if someone had taken a picture of you at work a year or so ago what would it show? Weren't you doing low level call center work? Would you want people to judge you by that low period in your life? Consider you a loser because that was the best you could do at that time, even with a degree?
This is just one time frame in this guys life, you don't know what he was doing six months before, you don't know what he'll be doing six months from now. Maybe, like you, he'll land that better job he's possibly been trying for?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So, if someone had taken a picture of you at work a year or so ago what would it show? Weren't you doing low level call center work? Would you want people to judge you by that low period in your life? Consider you a loser because that was the best you could do at that time, even with a degree?
This is just one time frame in this guys life, you don't know what he was doing six months before, you don't know what he'll be doing six months from now. Maybe, like you, he'll land that better job he's possibly been trying for?
No way! How could he sit around feeling superior to others then?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But I didn't go to an expensive private school or major in theater and am doing better once I got out of Tennessee. Apparently he doesn't want to move to try and find work or he would likely have already done so.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 07-25-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM

898 posts, read 937,588 times
Quote:
If I didn't know the person and they could spell no better, they'd be immediately disqualified from a position. If a person cannot spell better than that, they look like an imbecile.
I sort of agree. All I can say in response is that if you have some sort of mental deficiency, then you best be having someone review your "official" documents before you submit them. Otherwise, judgments, whether fair or not, are going to be made against you.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
But I didn't go to an expensive private school or major in theater and am doing better once I got out of Tennessee. Apparently he doesn't want to move to try and find work or he would likely have already done so.
But you are making assumptions. You don't know what he 'paid' for that expensive education. You don't know if or when he's made attempts to move. You don't know if perhaps he's got a nice prospect at the Barter or something similar. Did you not have to make more than one attempt to leave befor you made it to IN? Just way too many assumptions and very judgmental of a situation in which you are not privy to the details. Would you appreciate people making calls about your life if they had seen you in a facebook post a year ago?

Old 07-26-2014, 12:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,059 times
a college degree in and of itself is not useful. i depends 100% on what you get your degree in.

if you want to talk about ROI, then in general most degrees such as theatre, music, liberal arts, etc. are going to be useless unless you parlay that into law school, etc. there is absolutely no reason to get a theatre degree unless you just wanted to learn about the subject while throwing $120k away to do it.

i have a degree in computer science and i can tell you that without that degree (in addition to what i learned), i would not be where i am today. i also have an MBA (which i paid lots of $$$ for) and it was also worth it in terms of ROI which can easily be measured by what i was getting paid before i got my MBA and what i am getting after my MBA.

community colleges are a fine option but probably just me, i'd rather go to a top school out of high school rather than try to get into after 2 years. i don't know if the top schools even take community college grads (thinking harvard, MIT, stanfurd, etc.) although i do know that Berkeley does so that's good.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:20 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I can probably count on one hand the number of people I know who were successful without going to college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DM1N View Post
I'd argue that most people aren't successful because they went to college; they have the drive and ambition to be successful and, as a result, they went to college.
The usual "it depends" would apply here. Go to college for the right reasons, have a plan for all of that debt, do as much research as you can about your future occupation, etc. Obviously, have other things to up the odds, like internships, connections, self drive + motivation.

Interestingly enough, I read an article where with say, Ivy league students, many of them would've been just fine going to a non-Ivy League school... a public school that's still well rated and accredited. They had the drive, ambition, and smarts to be able to make something better of themselves then other folks anyways. Unless you need that brand name degree to get into a company, I've met many of them who opted for "lesser schools", but still had good recognition in the school's honors program with excellent grades to back them up.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Welcome to OBlubber's America. Blame the morons of this country who continue to re-elect inept clowns who couldn't manage a wet fart after a dinner at taco bell much less run the country.

It has nothing to do with people getting expensive education. It has everything to do with Jobs not being created other than service level minimum wage jobs
There's also been the disembowelment of state university funding. I did my undergraduate and graduate degrees at two different UC campuses, late 70s - early '80s, and the quarterly tuition* went from $212 to $410. Today it works out to be just shy of $5000. Obviously this makes it all the more critical to choose a lucrative major than it ever was in my time, but this entails essentially choosing your life's work long before you reach the university gates, to say nothing of having the aptitude for it. With UC going from a public university to what it's really become--a private school with a modest ante from the State of California--I'm sure many more students resort to loans today than in the past.

There's no doubt it used to be much easier to work your way through than it is today.

*Asterisk because it really wasn't tuition in my time. We only paid what were called registration fees.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
There's also been the disembowelment of state university funding. I did my undergraduate and graduate degrees at two different UC campuses, late 70s - early '80s, and the quarterly tuition* went from $212 to $410. Today it works out to be just shy of $5000. Obviously this makes it all the more critical to choose a lucrative major than it ever was in my time, but this entails essentially choosing your life's work long before you reach the university gates, to say nothing of having the aptitude for it. With UC going from a public university to what it's really become--a private school with a modest ante from the State of California--I'm sure many more students resort to loans today than in the past.

There's no doubt it used to be much easier to work your way through than it is today.

*Asterisk because it really wasn't tuition in my time. We only paid what were called registration fees.
This is also a major problem. When I went to college at 18, I had absolutely no meaningful work experience (cashiered at a grocery store and worked as PC tech at a small shop), hadn't traveled, nor had any real formative stressors in my personal life. I was an idea a minute guy - all over the place. In 2004, the economy was doing pretty well and there wasn't much of an inclination to major in one of the "lucrative" majors of today. My parents majored in something that should have been useful (education) but never got a job in the field locally and had always struggled financially, so they couldn't really give helpful advice either The local economy was also severely distorted in hindsight, so even honest career counselors at the university were giving out advice that was itself distorted.

I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do in life until I was in my early twenties, and even then, it didn't pan out. I've cobbled things together as I've gone along and, while things are okay now, I still am unsure about what I want to do long-term. I work in IT, but would like to get a master's in taxation, but am not convinced the reward would be worth it. At the same time, I'm worried I may "age out" of IT and need to have some kind of backup plan. Even among older, experienced adults, these issues can be difficult to solve.

We're asking kids who usually have next to no experience doing anything to make one of the most important decisions of their lives - career choices. Yes, some majors have never been traditionally lucrative, but even among the good ones, it's also kind of a moving target. Finance was hot back in 2004, but after the fall off in 2008, many experienced workers were laid off and thrown back into the job pool. Something similar happened with CS/IT folks after dot-com. Yes, I know a lot of soft majors who are struggling, but I also know people with good majors who are caught up in trouble too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment