Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne James
The funds will be credited and available for use within 24 hours. Then after that you are to withdrawl it out and you are to purchase this software's from the software retailer who we have been buying from for years now....and means of payment accepted be the vendor is via Moneygram which i will be providing you with the vendors information which you will be using in purchasing the software.
All that effort, and they can't find a better way to launder their grift than Moneygram?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 10:27 AM

514 posts, read 764,449 times
The fact that people fall for these scams (these foreigners wouldn't continue to promote these scams without there being some degree of success) reminds me why I don't believe there is an afterlife, as well as reinforces the suspicion that we really aren't all that far removed genetically from apes.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
My stepdaughter and her husband (age 47) are into one of these things:

Company is "based in Panama". Rapidly expanding international company.
They want her to work, filling out employment applications in English.
They will pay $5,000 per month.
They will pay 3 months in advance.
Stepdaughter received an employment contract. A dozen pages. Mostly boilerplate stuff.

Stepdaughter provided:
Bank Account number (for the "automatic deposit of her salary")
Social Security number (Necessary, even though "Social Security will not be withheld")
Photo copy of passport (We may ask you to travel internationally "to train others")
IP Address.

And then it went silent.

I have not tried to explain it to her. If the subject comes up I will recommend she place a fraud alert on her credit history (easily done) and stand by for bad news.

A few years ago a friend got a notice from the IRS about the 40-odd thousand dollars he made while "working in North Dakota". He has never been there. IRS didn't care, and would not forgive. He was making payments for a long time. Don't know how they settled, but it was expensive.

Identity thieves don't always open charge accounts and ruin your credit that way; sometimes they use your ID to get a job. Especially, those 1099 jobs where no taxes are taken out.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM

179 posts, read 247,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
The "Dr. Anne James, Online Hiring Manager, Age 52" should have been your first clue. It is unlikely that there is such a thing as an "online hiring manager" or that s/he is a Ph.D., and who cares how hold Dr. Anne James is? Why would a hiring manager even think of telling a candidate that?
and the second clue would have bee asking her age. Clearly not an allowable question in an interview.

"equipments?" "Softwares"

this smells more than fishy.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
This entire thread is why my resumes are not in public.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

A few years ago a friend got a notice from the IRS about the 40-odd thousand dollars he made while "working in North Dakota". He has never been there. IRS didn't care, and would not forgive. He was making payments for a long time. Don't know how they settled, but it was expensive.
Uh, that's when you get a lawyer involved.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I would totally mess with them. Hello again Dr., can you help me with a ******* issue I've been having?

Or tell them our nickname is Murdock (or something) and tell them you would really feel more comfortable if they address you as such. Oh, and that you have friends that are interested in joining the organization and that your friends' names are Mr. Barackus, Mr. Face, and Mr. Hannibal. THey would all be elite members and that based on their track records, there is nothing they can't solve. And when they ask you a question, start it off with "I pity the fool..."

Or something like "I enjoy My LIttle Pony and absolutely must not miss the 10:30am daily showing, is it possible to work my schedule around that?" Or tell them you are a cyclist and are currently competing in the Tour de France and that you are not able to start for another couple of weeks until that is over.

Use your imagination, there is a world of fun out there for the taking! Don't let it slip through your hands!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post

So,what do you think?....
Are you seriously asking this? No real interview is conducted over Yahoo Messenger. She just got enough of your basic info to rob you of your identity.

I had no idea people are really that clueless.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:08 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Obviously a scam. Check will be a fake. You send money gram, and the check bounces 5 days later. Don't do it...run.

Possible identity scam too, but the fake check is the main thrust of it.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:12 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,035 times
Default Not Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Are you seriously asking this? No real interview is conducted over Yahoo Messenger. She just got enough of your basic info to rob you of your identity.

I had no idea people are really that clueless.
Did I say I gave them any info? They don't have any more info than some recent hacking we've had. I just let them get up to a certain point then I'd cut them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment