Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

The other thing I might throw in here is how some of the tv/radio companies have become exclusive broadcasters of markets and this goes back and forth.

For example most cable systems have TBS which broadcasts Atlanta Braves games. I live in the Boston area so for pretty much most sports it is on NESN. Any Boston Atlanta game for the area would have TBS blocked out (usually). There are entire arguments about what is and isn't a market. Of course on radio at night AM travels pretty far and I can easily get stations from NYC, Philly, DC maybe even NC and Detroit.

Due to this perhaps it might be better to start out covering other leagues. Say minor league baseball, ABA basketball maybe college sports. This is also why I might recommend cable access groups because they tend to cover high school sports. What if you covered say a small city thanksgiving day game? I'm sure every state has some type of championship.

You can also try a bit at toastmasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
One way to get on the radio is to find out where your local talk radio station is and go and buy some air time and start building a portfolio. The local radio station costs about $100.00 per hour for air time. I realize you prefer to get paid as anyone would but if your show takes off you can get sponsors and advertisers. Someone told me recently that a local talk show host was recently hired in Washington, D.C. and he started by paying for his own show.

You can start off once a month and build up. I was asked to do a talk show and am mulling it over. it can definitely be a lot of fun.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
My friend wanted to do that. He got as far as doing high school games for free. He has a great voice.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 AM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's an easy one. Experience and education are useless without talent. Maybe the kid has talent; what he's asking for is all about getting the experience and education.
Actually I would be more optimistic if OP had asked about education or ground floor experience. It sounded to me like he wanted to skip past all that and just get a sports radio slot on the virtues of cold-calling with YouTube videos alone.

OP, I agree with those who said if you want to parlay Youtube videos to success, you have to build your own audience/social media following yourself first. If you can't get a decent amount of followers on social media, where the potential audience is world-wide and almost limitless, how are you showing you have what it takes to build a radio following in a comparatively much smaller market? To me it's similar to being hired as a hairdresser, they don't care how good you are as much as they care if you can build a following of regular customers.

If you can't do it this way, then I think you need to do the "start from the bottom", volunteer, go to school, try for internships etc path like most of the radio people who have posted on this thread have outlined for you.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's an easy one. Experience and education are useless without talent. Maybe the kid has talent; what he's asking for is all about getting the experience and education.
He might have the talent but needs the education and experience to go with it. There are many with experience, education and talent who can't find a job.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Once again, Idontdate you, I need to correct you. TALENT trumps 'education and experience'. If the guy has the talent, he will be found. Now he will need to start at the bottom, maybe part time, maybe overnight shifts etc. He isn't going to be handed a show in prime time on WFAN.

There are plenty of no talent talk show hosts out there. I'm sure that stations would be willing to give a no-name a chance if the talent is there.

Look how Don Imus got started. He and his brother Fred were listening to the radio back in the late 60's, and Fred says, "you ought to try radio, you're better than the A-Hole that's on there now!". 45 years later, Don is still on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment