Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM

35 posts, read 55,864 times

Advertisements

Basic info:
Recent graduate
BS in Psychology with pre-reqs for medical school (science courses in Bio, Chem, Phys)
Have student loans

Work exp:
Expecting a lab assistant job offer from military facility
1.5 year bio lab for government
1 year psyc lab

Dilemma:
Main aspiration is to become a doctor. However, I am not as competitive as other applicants and would like to have a backup career plan. I am well informed of the graduate science degrees (MD, DO, DDS/DMD, Optometry, Podiatry, Pharm, Physician Asst, Nursing) but would like to learn/hear more about other professional careers outside of these areas.

My question is, what career fields show promise, have potential room for growth, career located near/in urban and/or suburban areas, and have a salary around six figures within the science field?

I have researched a little bit and this is what I have come up with personally.
- MPH but have heard negative perspectives from it. Pay is low (don't know figure) unless the masters degree is paired with another graduate degree (ex. MD or doctor).
- Bioinformatics but am weary of low pay (60kish). Additional schooling needed. If I'm putting in additional schooling, I want that schooling and time and investment to pay off much more than the expected pay.
- Genetic counselor, same reason as Bioinformatics reasoning.
- Biostatistics, same reasoning as bioinformatics/genetic counselor.
- Phd/Psyd in psychology or Phd in general sciences but have heard of low pay/reward factor (70kish for licensed psychologists and apparently decreasing.)
- Masters in bio/chem but has no room for career growth. Main job positions would just be research/lab technicians. Salary ranges 35k-45/50k.
- Interest in finance, accounting but would have to attain additional schooling and isn't a primary interest (science is).
- Pathologists assistant seems reasonable/feasible. If anyone could provide more info on this career, that would help.

With that, what careers would you suggest?

Second part:
One thing to note is that I'm 2nd generation (parents moved here from foreign country) so I haven't been exposed to many professional careers and the diversity of those careers. I've basically been on my own since I can't really ask my folks. Thus, I've come here for the professional advice of you all!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one has the ability to hold 2-3 careers assuming he/she stays in that career for 10+ years. If I'm 23 now, I could hold one career until I'm, let's say, 45, then switch/move up to another career from 45 until retirement of 65.

With that, I would like to choose a career that can be upgraded or that is related/similar to my second career.
I think my ideal career goal would to be a doctor and practice, then attain an MPH dealing with health care administration and/or public policy after x amount of years of practicing.
Is this reasonable?

Thank you for all of your advice and time!

Last edited by xStarFall; 07-16-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStarFall View Post
Basic info:
My question is, what career fields show promise, have potential room for growth, career located near/in urban and/or suburban areas, and have a salary around six figures within the science field?
Outside of doctor, dentists possible pharmacist not many fields in science go up past $40-50k and many in science don't go much above $40k + benefits unless you get lucky or find a way to aquire a very rare and in demand skill set which is very tough to do.

Certified flavorists are in demand and can get >$70k.

Engineers in some fields especially in supervisory or management positions can get aboce $100k.

Programmers and various computer fields can also get that high especially in supervisory and management positions.

Stay away from science graduate programs (PhD's) as many don't lead to jobs at all but rather post doc limbo.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Outside of doctor, dentists possible pharmacist not many fields in science go up past $40-50k and many in science don't go much above $40k + benefits unless you get lucky or find a way to aquire a very rare and in demand skill set which is very tough to do.

Certified flavorists are in demand and can get >$70k.

Engineers in some fields especially in supervisory or management positions can get aboce $100k.

Programmers and various computer fields can also get that high especially in supervisory and management positions.

Stay away from science graduate programs (PhD's) as many don't lead to jobs at all but rather post doc limbo.
I've read your thread on choosing a career outside of science, so to hear from you is great/awesome! So thank you for that.

Yes, I know of the PhD limbo and will most likely choose another career option before choosing this career.

It seems like supervisor/management positions seem to be great, but how would I go about achieving that position/career? Wouldn't that take additional schooling (I'm assuming 6-8 years), then additional work experience?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
If you think 60K is low pay (it isn't really IMO at least), then you want to gear your efforts towards professional school, as you mentioned ... Medical/Pharm/Physician Assistant/Optometry.

Nurses don't get paid anymore than 60K and getting a pHd in any science guarantees you of nothing. Sounds to me like you are in it for the salary and security, which don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that.

Optometry and pharmacy are a bit tough right now. Supply is outpacing demand, but pharmacy is better. Physician Assistant is good, but you need clinical experience to get into school.

If your goal is to go to med school, then put your effort into that. What are your stats? I can tell you if you have a shot. Otherwise, if you just want a nice career with decent pay, I'd go with pharm or PA. I'd probably do one of those if I were to do it over.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you think 60K is low pay (it isn't really IMO at least), then you want to gear your efforts towards professional school, as you mentioned ... Medical/Pharm/Physician Assistant/Optometry.

Nurses don't get paid anymore than 60K and getting a pHd in any science guarantees you of nothing. Sounds to me like you are in it for the salary and security, which don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that.

Optometry and pharmacy are a bit tough right now. Supply is outpacing demand, but pharmacy is better. Physician Assistant is good, but you need clinical experience to get into school.

If your goal is to go to med school, then put your effort into that. What are your stats? I can tell you if you have a shot. Otherwise, if you just want a nice career with decent pay, I'd go with pharm or PA. I'd probably do one of those if I were to do it over.
Could you elaborate why you think 60k isn't low pay? Personally, I know there are jobs that don't require college degrees or don't require a high set of skills that pay generally in the 40k range. Top it off with a masters, I could understand that that pay grade could increase to 60k which I know is great. However, given the fact that there has been a lot of tech advancement and inflation, I think that 50k will be the new norm and 80-90k will be the new 'middle class'. At least from what I've learned, I consider 40k average/norm and 50-60k middle class. I'm trying to 'prepare' for the next generations to come when having a masters becomes the new norm instead of now, which is having a bachelors. I'm also assuming before taxes as well. Again, I understand it's all a perspective issue but would love to hear your thoughts.

Yes, I understand the supply/demand issue with pharm, opt, and even podiatry (low residency spots). For clinical, I'm sure I can gain the clinical exposure needed for PA schools in addition to taking some of the classes that are needed as well (ex. medical terminology) within 1-2 years. I know PA schools have different pre-reqs than med/dental schools for the sole purpose of weeding out med/dental applicants defaulting to PA school if they can't get in.

What is your current profession now? Why would you go with pharm or PA? I've heard pharm gets worked like a dog (which is understandable given residents work 60-80 work weeks and then even moonlight!) I've heard for PA, they wish they had more autonomy and responsibility. I know it's not unusual for PA's to attend medical school after x years as a PA.

Also, I'm sure you're familiar with the SDN forums, which I follow pretty well. Stats are 3.3 both s/cGPA and 22 MCAT. Planning a retake for Sept-Oct before new MCAT hits. (Yes, I know where I stand..*sigh*) Which is why I'm looking into backup plans and other professional careers!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Could you elaborate why you think 60k isn't low pay? Personally, I know there are jobs that don't require college degrees or don't require a high set of skills that pay generally in the 40k range. Top it off with a masters, I could understand that that pay grade could increase to 60k which I know is great. However, given the fact that there has been a lot of tech advancement and inflation, I think that 50k will be the new norm and 80-90k will be the new 'middle class'. At least from what I've learned, I consider 40k average/norm and 50-60k middle class. I'm trying to 'prepare' for the next generations to come when having a masters becomes the new norm instead of now, which is having a bachelors. I'm also assuming before taxes as well. Again, I understand it's all a perspective issue but would love to hear your thoughts.

Yes, I understand the supply/demand issue with pharm, opt, and even podiatry (low residency spots). For clinical, I'm sure I can gain the clinical exposure needed for PA schools in addition to taking some of the classes that are needed as well (ex. medical terminology) within 1-2 years. I know PA schools have different pre-reqs than med/dental schools for the sole purpose of weeding out med/dental applicants defaulting to PA school if they can't get in.

What is your current profession now? Why would you go with pharm or PA? I've heard pharm gets worked like a dog (which is understandable given residents work 60-80 work weeks and then even moonlight!) I've heard for PA, they wish they had more autonomy and responsibility. I know it's not unusual for PA's to attend medical school after x years as a PA.

Also, I'm sure you're familiar with the SDN forums, which I follow pretty well. Stats are 3.3 both s/cGPA and 22 MCAT. Planning a retake for Sept-Oct before new MCAT hits. (Yes, I know where I stand..*sigh*) Which is why I'm looking into backup plans and other professional careers!
I'm an engineer.

50K is what engineers in my field get paid straight out of school in a high cost area, so I think 60K is a pretty decent salary, considering liberal arts majors and HS graduates will generally make less for years. Of course, I'm talking median here.

There are a number of reasons I wish I had gone into healthcare, but without writing a novel, I wish I had better job security and pay. I don't think I would enjoy any of those jobs any more than what I do now. If I were pharm, I'd have done retail. In general, I wouldn't want to be a doctor because I can't sacrifice 11 years of my life to get there.

There's a small chance for you to get into med/dental school, but you really have to improve your MCAT score a ton, and I mean a ton. Like spend a whole year studying for it.

If you just want the pay and security that healthcare brings, then I'd just pick PA or Pharm school. It's a much cleaner path. With the med/dental school, you have to do some damage control that will take some time and probably put you further in debt with no assurance of acceptance.

Pharmacist get paid very well, it's not THAT hard to get into school, and you will find a job eventually.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I'm an engineer.

50K is what engineers in my field get paid straight out of school in a high cost area, so I think 60K is a pretty decent salary, considering liberal arts majors and HS graduates will generally make less for years. Of course, I'm talking median here.

There are a number of reasons I wish I had gone into healthcare, but without writing a novel, I wish I had better job security and pay. I don't think I would enjoy any of those jobs any more than what I do now. If I were pharm, I'd have done retail. In general, I wouldn't want to be a doctor because I can't sacrifice 11 years of my life to get there.

There's a small chance for you to get into med/dental school, but you really have to improve your MCAT score a ton, and I mean a ton. Like spend a whole year studying for it.

If you just want the pay and security that healthcare brings, then I'd just pick PA or Pharm school. It's a much cleaner path. With the med/dental school, you have to do some damage control that will take some time and probably put you further in debt with no assurance of acceptance.

Pharmacist get paid very well, it's not THAT hard to get into school, and you will find a job eventually.
Yes, but with a weak background in physics and math, I wouldn't make it out of engineering alive! I do like to learn about how things work and if I had to choose, I'd probably choose bioengineering or mechanical but I think that the extra 3-4 years of schooling wouldn't be the greatest investment if I make 50k when I could try my hand at a pathology assistant for 2 years of schooling and maybe 1 year of prep and make it in the 80k area.

I do love the job security and pay and thus, a big reason why I chose to go into the health field. I agree with you there. I've heard retail pharm is a nightmare.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, but with a weak background in physics and math, I wouldn't make it out of engineering alive! I do like to learn about how things work and if I had to choose, I'd probably choose bioengineering or mechanical but I think that the extra 3-4 years of schooling wouldn't be the greatest investment if I make 50k when I could try my hand at a pathology assistant for 2 years of schooling and maybe 1 year of prep and make it in the 80k area.

I do love the job security and pay and thus, a big reason why I chose to go into the health field. I agree with you there. I've heard retail pharm is a nightmare.
You don't think you could make it out of engineering, but you want to be a doctor?

IMO, getting the grades to get into medical school is harder than getting through engineering school. It's not really even a contest. You should ace your Calc and physics classes to get into med school. You only need to pass them to get an engineering degree.

I would go with PA school if I were you. I know doctors who work with them and they actually have quite a bit of autonomy.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You don't think you could make it out of engineering, but you want to be a doctor?

IMO, getting the grades to get into medical school is harder than getting through engineering school. It's not really even a contest. You should ace your Calc and physics classes to get into med school. You only need to pass them to get an engineering degree.

I would go with PA school if I were you. I know doctors who work with them and they actually have quite a bit of autonomy.
I'd have to disagree with some of your points mainly because of what some members are saying at PAforums as well as SDN. I've been well informed on those alternative health care professions and mainly wanted something outside of that as a back up.

I've had more exposure to the 'pre-med' world so I obviously want to become a doctor or at least something similar over the engineering field.

Since you're an engineer, do you mind informing me what you do and what type you are? I haven't explored the engineering option but since you think that it might be a possible fit, I will definitely explore it and keep my options open. If I do choose the engineering route, what route(s) would you suggest? Since I like biology, I'd say bioengineering and/or biotech engineer would be ideal.
Thanks!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
MPHs aren't paid well, you're right. But almost the entire field of public health isn't. Most public health work is with non-profits or the government... which both are known not to pay well. Epidemiology isn't much either, which is considered a field of PH, but it's higher up there compared to the rest. Biostats is another one, which are also limited to government for the most part. But Biostats could probably transfer more easily to other statistics-related fields. Most people who want the Master's in Biostats usually get in by already having work as an analyst. It's hard without that experience from what I've heard.

I think you should consider a Nurse Practitioner or any of the more specialized nursing fields. There is a demand for them and they can prescribe. You would have to get a Master's in Nursing and I think work in clinicals for a bit before you can get the specialty in NP. NPs are desired because there is so few family doctors nowadays. Lots of healthcare places are trying to go by with as few doctors as possible because of their salary. This means hiring specialized nurses.

Another specialized nursing field would be a Nurse Anesthetist. These nurses make a ton of money too. You should consider these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment