Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 PM

395 posts, read 603,812 times

Advertisements

I would love to see your work of art then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The part you posted was terrible. If the other part it was good, it wouldn't be enough bring up the lagging part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
I would love to see your work of art then.
I keep it confidential, but there were over 100 people in my particular class in different locations around the city. We averaged a 40% salary increase after attending twice weekly classes. Most of us never went to college.

I'll share my story. It may not be enough to motivate you to start doing 100 mock interviews or attending free career development classes. It's ultimately up to you.

Unemployed people, do you ever feel like you're the object of some crude practical joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
This section is related to a late 2008 layoff. We had 60 days to empty our drawers. I was tired of making $12/hr and problems with making bills.

I started attending FREE weekly life skills classes at church. We would meet twice a week. They talked about insurance, budgeting, retirement, and career development. It was geared to people in poverty. I qualified. For career development, we had resume critiques, practice interviews, watched a short clip every now and then. After a few resume revisions and several practice interviews, I was ready. I removed tons of junk from the resume. My original resume read like a job description. The final resume was focused on accomplishments. I used to send the same resume to every job and do resume blasts of 100 a week. I switched up and focused on a targeted search. I would apply for a handful of positions every week. I started customizing each resume based on the job description.

The biggest takeaway is to get objective feedback on your resume and interview skills from strangers. Friends and family may have no idea how to get a job themselves. They may only found a job through a connection.

There were rumors of the company being sold and the employees being laid off. I went back through my old study material from the life skills class. I started studying for the Oracle SQL Expert certification immediately. After 2 months, the sale was announced and we were given 60 days to split. I finished the certification in another month. I was already NOT to do a resume blast. I did another targeted resume submission. Within 4 weeks, I got 1-2 calls every week. I had a job lined up 2 weeks after my layoff.

I took the $75k off. After a raise, I was bumped to over $80k. I work a 40-45 hour week and the job is pretty easy.

That's how I went from $12/hr to over $80k/yr after 2 layoffs in a horrible recession.

Last edited by move4ward; 07-16-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 AM

395 posts, read 603,812 times
The temp job I interviewed for today wound up being a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. I thought I was interviewing for a Senior Accountant position, when it was actually for a Finance Manager. That, along with the fact there is no growth per the HR person who interviewed me makes it not a great fit for me. Chin up and I'll keep looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment