Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,962,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
What are "Ops"? I'm basically doing web content management, although my official title is fancier lol. There's no good reason that I work in an office in a building in the middle of nowhere. Someone who does the same thing I do works on the luxury campus half of the time and remotely from home the other half of the time. I think it's reasonable for me to inquire about why it is that I work from here in the first place. They never told me when they hired me. I went along with it because I assumed the job was suuuuuuuch a good opportunity that couldn't pass it up.
Ops = Operations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,035,869 times
Quote:
What are "Ops"? I'm basically doing web content management
Unfortunately, once you're in the tech gutter, it's hard to get out. It's easier to get a software engineering job straight out of school than it is to move from content management, ops, QA, etc into engineering.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,962,576 times
Quote:
What are "Ops"? I'm basically doing web content management, although my official title is fancier lol. There's no good reason that I work in an office in a building in the middle of nowhere. Someone from my staffing agency who does the same thing I do works on the luxury campus half of the time and remotely from home the other half of the time. I think it's reasonable for me to inquire about why it is that I work from here in the first place. They never told me when they hired me. I went along with it because I assumed the job was suuuuuuuch a good opportunity that I couldn't possibly pass up. Now that I'm extremely bored of living here, am not learning many marketable technical skills and have no opportunity to get hired by the client company, I don't see any utility in staying with this job, except that it's adding more months to the work date on my resume. I want to work in city because I would have better opportunities to set up job interviews and because, well, there's more stuff to do. I have no life here in the middle of nowhere. Everything I've done for enjoyment this year, I had to travel 3 hrs (each way) to the city to do.
Ops = Operations

No utility in the job? Do they not pay you?

That would be especially useful if you're giving up looking for other jobs.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 PM

331 posts, read 546,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Unfortunately, once you're in the tech gutter, it's hard to get out.
****! I thought so.

Quote:
It's easier to get a software engineering job straight out of school than it is to move from content management, ops, QA, etc into engineering.
I know! I know had so many good opportunities when I graduated with nothing but a Math degree and base-level programming knowledge. I got to the final interview round at a state gov Application Developer job that paid $72k/yr plus massive benefits. I got to the final round for a small e-commerce team downtown. I got interviews at Amazon and Microsoft (although I didn't make it to the final rounds there). I've tried applying for these same types of jobs and I don't get looked at anymore. If I could travel back in time and re-interview, I'm confident that I could win out. But it's too late.

Yep, you've described it perfectly: "tech gutter." That's where I am.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM

331 posts, read 546,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Ops = Operations

No utility in the job? Do they not pay you?
I get paid, but I also spend $100/week in gas, plus higher cost of food out here. If saving money was my immediate goal, I'd be better off just joining the military. My goal is to build off my background and position myself for a good job. I want to obtain skills, network, etc. If I could get a legit Junior-level programming role for $4/hr, I would take it.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,351,452 times
Quote:
I would say it's true that anyone who gets a STEM degree and tries to get into software development can a get a tech job, but most will not be getting what people imagine an SDE role to be, that is, actually writing code and getting paid $60,000+.

NOBODY makes that kind of money right out of school. You have to take the "busy work" to get your foot in the door and then work your way up. It astounds me the number of graduates that come here actually thinking that's the kind of money they are going to make after school, despite all the warnings you've been given and all the speeches that tell you this is not going to happen.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
What are "Ops"? I'm basically doing web content management, although my official title is fancier lol. There's no good reason that I work in an office in a building in the middle of nowhere. Someone from my staffing agency who does the same thing I do works on the luxury campus half of the time and remotely from home the other half of the time. I think it's reasonable for me to inquire about why it is that I work from here in the first place. They never told me when they hired me. I went along with it because I assumed the job was suuuuuuuch a good opportunity that I couldn't possibly pass up. Now that I'm extremely bored of living here, am not learning many marketable technical skills and have no opportunity to get hired by the client company, I don't see any utility in staying with this job, except that it's adding more months to the work date on my resume. I want to work in city because I would have better opportunities to set up job interviews and because, well, there's more stuff to do. I have no life here in the middle of nowhere. Everything I've done for enjoyment this year, I had to travel 3 hrs (each way) to the city to do.
You haven't even come close to the years of experience you will need to get to be able to work remotely from home.

You're blaming being bored where you live for your lack of learning?!

I'm done here.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM

38 posts, read 79,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
NOBODY makes that kind of money right out of school. You have to take the "busy work" to get your foot in the door and then work your way up. It astounds me the number of graduates that come here actually thinking that's the kind of money they are going to make after school, despite all the warnings you've been given and all the speeches that tell you this is not going to happen.
It's funny you say nobody earns that much out of school. My classmates and I started out making nearly that much right out of school in the midwest. The grads in the coasts are making $80k+ right out of school and $100k+ if you've got the "talent" employers are looking for. Heck, even in low cost of living areas like Austin and Raleigh the grads are making more than $60k out of school. If you google "average starting salary for CS majors" you get $59,000-$65,000.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0910 View Post
It's funny you say nobody earns that much out of school. My classmates and I started out making nearly that much right out of school in the midwest. The grads in the coasts are making $80k+ right out of school and $100k+ if you've got the "talent" employers are looking for. Heck, even in low cost of living areas like Austin and Raleigh the grads are making more than $60k out of school. If you google "average starting salary for CS majors" you get $59,000-$65,000.

Fine. Then not everybody. Either way you have to work to get ahead.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,035,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Actually pretty much any CS grad who gets a real dev job makes that much or more out of school.
The starting salary at amazon for software developers was $84,000 five years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment