U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:08 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,304,089 times

Advertisements

At age 62 I have given up looking for a full time job! They say I am just too old!

I was fired from my job at age 61 and after 18 months of looking for work I am finally realizing that I am just too old to get hired when they are thousands of younger people looking for work in my field. Employers just don't want someone my age.

Anyone lose their full time job in their 60s and find a new one at the same or better pay? If so, tell us your story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:39 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,410,008 times
Since closing my business three years ago I've been unsolicitedly offered three good jobs, two full time and one part time. Unfortunately I suffered a bad fall from which I'm still recovering so haven't been able to consider any offers. I am 68 but haven't been fired "many many times", have a very good employment history spanning 50 years and excellent references. Many of my peers are still working and I don't see age alone as a detriment to employment opportunities; it's only one of many factors.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,177,890 times
I'm 69 and went back to work a year ago, it was supposed to be part time but I now work 5 days a week. But I am kind of plug and play, I have been in this business for over 25 years, so I've got a fair amount of knowledge in the industry.

I suggest you turn that age thing into a positive instead of a negative. You have a lot of experience, your life is very settled (unlike younger people who party the night before and call off a lot) and you have a proven track record. Some employers recognize that older workers are a lot less trouble, show up on time, don't spend half the day texting, are honest, and are happy to have a job.

That is how I sold myself when I interviewed, instead of them bringing it up to me I was the one who mentioned my age and told them there are a lot of years of experience in there. I simply told them I would take any shift, needed no training, would be available at any time if someone called off, etc. Initially, I was working 2 days a week, but more and more, as people called off and I went in to fill their shift, it got to the point where I am full time. Just yesterday one manager told me he would use me 7 days a week if he could, which was nice to hear. So yes, you can overcome that age thing once you get your foot in the door.

Don

Old 07-19-2014, 06:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,313,791 times
I would not apply directly, but try getting "in the back door" through a temp agency. I have gotten several positions this way. You may not be an HR ideal because of first impressions, BUT once you get in some where and they see what you can do (assuming you have the skills) they may want to hire you because you are so great at that job.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM

13,244 posts, read 17,779,749 times
What happened to the teaching job with the great reviews by students?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,304,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What happened to the teaching job with the great reviews by students?
I teach some classes at a local community college part time but up to now I have been looking for a full time job. I worked with a number of agencies to help find me a job, finally they were honest. The client used code words to say I was too old.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM

2,285 posts, read 3,110,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I teach some classes at a local community college part time but up to now I have been looking for a full time job. I worked with a number of agencies to help find me a job, finally they were honest. The client used code words to say I was too old.
Wrong code book. Seriously, take your fiction elsewhere

Old 07-19-2014, 04:23 PM

384 posts, read 279,732 times
There's nothing wrong with stopping. Sometimes it's just time to retire and enjoy the time you have left. Congrats to you.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,649,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The client used code words to say I was too old.
And what would those be?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,089,193 times
Interesting thread for someone who has been using "I'm retired now" as a screen name for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or