Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
As can be seen from the responses here, people are all about the almighty dollar, forget principles and values.
Correction: forget about YOUR principles and YOUR values. Apparently you are under the impression that YOU principles and YOUR values should be imposed on everyone. Who do you think you are? God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM

211 posts, read 266,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Sounds like justification. And, what does neutral mean?

We all work or have worked for a company, industry, boss who has been less than stellar. Now, dismount your high horse & stop judging others who you find less than... the poor, the disenfranchised, those having tough times finding employment... you know, the wretches.
No, most of you all are justifying things by the nonsense of "well other things are bad too". Apparently you have a lack of reading comprehension since I was actually defending the poor and unemployed by saying they are justified in accepting employment from evil companies/industries since they need to feed themselves and their families. Not sure why you think I think of them as wretches.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 AM

211 posts, read 266,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, aren't you a special little snowflake?

I worked for big tobacco for 4 or 5 years. So what? I didn't put product in anyone's hands or mouths. I never offered anyone a light. I am what you'd call a former (not reformed) smoker, having quit several years before I took that position. You know, the ones that society expects to be militant about controlling other peoples lives and habits!

But guess what.. smoking is a legal practice by those of minimum age. My job was to be sure the product was out there for them. Just like the guy at the ABC store sells liquor, the cigar shop sells his smokes, the truckers and bus drivers whose job requires them to pollute the air with diesel fumes, etc. Not every job on earth is environmentally or socially friendly. In fact, I've been in positions in my career where the people I dealt with were more toxic to me that tobacco!

I have absolutely no regrets about bringing my skills and salesmanship to that industry while providing for my family. I'm in a different industry now, but I would have no qualms going back to big tobacco if the situation called for it.
This whole post is nothing but ex post facto justification

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoKramer View Post
Out of curiosity, how much annual salary is required for you all to take a job with a tobacco company? You'll be working for a major billion-dollar company that manufactures highly addictive products that are proven to cause many ailments and early death (including deliberately targeting minors as a customer base).
I really don't see how it's an issue, it's a well know fact that smoking kills, you can only do so much to protect people from themselves. So I wouldn't have an issue with working for a tobacco company, also I've never heard of working for a company aversely affecting your resume, just becuase the company did something unethical.

So you think something like this will happen?

So you worked for Enron, I lost a fortune in the stock market because of them, set my retirement back 10 years, sorry I can't consider hiring you becuase of your assocation with them.

Honestly I can't see the above happening in the real world, unless you were convicted of some wrong doing.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
No different than working for McDonald's.
Or any other place, not just McDonalds that people love to bash for some reason. I would work for a tobacco company if the money was right, just like any other company.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
No, most of you all are justifying things by the nonsense of "well other things are bad too". Apparently you have a lack of reading comprehension since I was actually defending the poor and unemployed by saying they are justified in accepting employment from evil companies/industries since they need to feed themselves and their families. Not sure why you think I think of them as wretches.
Why is it that those who've lately been sprouting reading comprehension problems when posters disagree with them, haven't understood what was written by said poster themselves, thereby making no sense? Reread. You've misunderstood.

Defending poor & unemployed? No, you were condescending to them as if they were beneath you, hence the word wretches. Again, reading comprehension & you know it... poor defense when being called out, but nice try.

Justification? I personally never said where I work, which industries I've worked in & which I'd choose to work in, so I'm merely posing questions to you as to why you'd focus on just 1 industry or company for the 1 cause you believe in (non-smoking & the elimination of it's products, apparently to save those who'd use their products from themselves).

You should write a non-smoking blog or 'evil companies/industries' newsletter if you only want others to agree with you, rather than posing a q on a public forum, when you really didn't want multiple opinions, given that you've attempted to berate & insult those who either disagree or are asking for elaboration.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I see nothing wrong with smoking (I do not smoke and never have); it is a free choice no one is forced to do. That said, I would request the compensation I think my skills are worth.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
as others said I would work for a tobacco company if the pay were commensurate with my skills. Would you work for an alcohol company--is it any different?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment