Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
DC area. Non-union shops start at @ $18.

If he'd take a job at $12 he'd lose money. He makes more than that working for a catering business.
a MARTA electrician in Atlanta once told me, "even the sweep-up cats in DC make 35 an hour"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did I say that? No I didn't.

You do realize that the majority of jobs in the US are still considered blue collar? Of course you do. Which professions are being "decimated"? Law? There's been a surplus of lawyers for a couple decades.
Medicine? There's actually a shortage in many areas. Teaching? It's always like it is now, in demand subjects get hired while everyone else has to scramble.

The biggest mistake we've made is convince marginal students they can go to college.
The latter point is certainly true. However, economic trends are not neatly cutting out the fat, but laying waste to whole professions (such as IT) filled with often far from marginal individuals. Needless unemployment is also caused by the excessive piling of work hours onto a narrowing proportion of employed individuals. Meanwhile, a crop of ever more useless people rises to the top. Desirable career fields should not be conceded by those excluded but capable because the oligarchs want to use 80 hr/week South Asian wage slaves. On the other hand though, yes, the American (mostly liberal) obsession with pouring resources into the least promising students and lavishing them with useless "degrees" provides the anvil to the hammer that's destroying the productive bedrock of the country.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i see skill gaps daily but not with the entry level but the fifty years old. and it basic computer skills like word, excel, time sheets. even just turning it on. they will fight you tooth and nail to keep from using a computer
Well, I'm in my 60s and I've owned a personal computer since 1981. I started building my own in 85, and I've built all my own desktops and even lower-end servers since then. I've been doing motherboard swaps in Thinkpads for the last ten years.

But that certainly does not guarantee me a job. I've been working IT support for a Fortune 50 company headquarters, for the last fifteen years since leaving the military, have network certs...but I'd be just as much out of luck looking for a new job today as any Millennial because I'm not going to work for peanuts and there is age discrimination against people with gray hair when they really want a cheap (or free) intern.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
The latter point is certainly true. However, economic trends are not neatly cutting out the fat, but laying waste to whole professions (such as IT) filled with often far from marginal individuals. Needless unemployment is also caused by the excessive piling of work hours onto a narrowing proportion of employed individuals. Meanwhile, a crop of ever more useless people rises to the top. Desirable career fields should not be conceded by those excluded but capable because the oligarchs want to use 80 hr/week South Asian wage slaves. On the other hand though, yes, the American (mostly liberal) obsession with pouring resources into the least promising students and lavishing them with useless "degrees" provides the anvil to the hammer that's destroying the productive bedrock of the country.

When I worked in industry 40 years ago the same was true, so what's changed?

What is it that many posters say to us teachers? Oh, I remember, "You knew that the job wasn't a 40 hour week. Real professionals stay until the work is done". I've distilled that.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 PM

741 posts, read 915,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Employability has nothing to do with "skills." Do you think Harvard history majors have trouble finding employment? Do they have "skills?" Talk of a "skills gap" is just more corporate/bootstrapper sycophant garbage.
Take 'Harvard' from that equation and replace it with (Any State College) and the answer is yes. A lot of them are struggling desperately to find employment.

Knowing how to hit a moving a target with a well flicked booger is a 'skill, it's just not relevant to the marketplace. A lot of the 'ology degrees from Academia that were bulked up during the golden era of government money and increased admissions = increased income leave kids with tons of debt and questionable futures but a bunch of supportive 'academics' who insist it was worth it all along.

If anyone is pushing 'garbage' in this debate, it's academia who insists that five-six figures in student debt is a perfectly fair trade for the wonderful 'expanded mind' you'll get when you leave with an unmarketable degree. It's bull****.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
How about this from the VP of HR for Abbott Laboratories/Abvie. This is rich coming from Abbott "everyone's a permatemp" laboratories.

Abbott HR chief says Americans need to study math and science if they want him to hire them | TIME.com
I know a number of people who work at Abbott Labs and have been there for years.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I know a number of people who work at Abbott Labs and have been there for years.
I'd wish them luck. It seems they announce a layoff every 6 months or so and right after they do my email and phone rings off the hook with permatemp jobs for "our client in Lake, Co IL" I considered working for them as well until I saw they were a churn and burn permatemp place and I am so done with that. I wouldn't touch pharma with a ten foot pole not that most other large companies are much better for science professionals. Frankly I wouldn't let anyone in my family consider a career in science so Fussell can keep whining and calling Americans stupid when in fact they are way to smart to want anything to do with his company.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd wish them luck. It seems they announce a layoff every 6 months or so and right after they do my email and phone rings off the hook with permatemp jobs for "our client in Lake, Co IL" I considered working for them as well until I saw they were a churn and burn permatemp place and I am so done with that.

Some have been there more than ten years, but none of them have been laid off yet, so we'll see.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some have been there more than ten years, but none of them have been laid off yet, so we'll see.
You can only dodge the bullet so many times in a game of Russian Roulette.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7372313.story
- Chicago Sun-Times
Abbott Labs cuts jobs at HQ and plans for plant closure in Puerto Rico - FiercePharma
Abbott Labs cuts 550 jobs, more layoffs planned - MarketWatch
Abbott Blames Obamacare for 1,900 Layoffs, but Financials Tell a Different Story - CBS News

Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Right, but with almost half the layoffs being in Europe, one closed plant being in Puerto Rico, and one wave of layoffs primarily affecting workers in its global nutrition, vascular, established-pharmaceuticals and molecular-diagnostics divisions, it's spread out enough where I can understand how some departments at headquarters are safer than if they were in labs or plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment