Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times

Advertisements

There are some posters on here who have just flat given up on ever finding anything decent. The job market is coming back, in fits and starts, in most areas. I was finally able to get out of the low wage call center work I was doing and move on this year, but if you listen to this board, lots of people have just said to hell with it all.

Do you know anyone personally (not on this board) who has just put up the white flag of surrender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 7,762,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Do you know anyone personally (not on this board) who has just put up the white flag of surrender?
I don't know anyone that just gave up, but I know lots of people who are just surviving by taking crappy contract jobs, with low wages and no benefits. I don’t understand how people live if they give up? Sponge off family? Working Spouse? Government assistance? Or do they just join the ranks of the homeless?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM

898 posts, read 936,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There are some posters on here who have just flat given up on ever finding anything decent. The job market is coming back, in fits and starts, in most areas. I was finally able to get out of the low wage call center work I was doing and move on this year, but if you listen to this board, lots of people have just said to hell with it all.

Me thinks that 10 or so incessant complainers on a message board is not completely indicative of the big picture in the real world.

To answer your question: No, I have not known anyone to put up the white flag because of the job market, even in the worst of times. Everyone I know who wants to be gainfully employed IS gainfully employed.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM

45 posts, read 53,499 times
I know an IT guy with a civil engineering degree and a wealth of certifications and skills who has simply given up. He's in his 40s and has been long term unemployed for a few years now, but feels his age is also a factor in difficulty landing a job.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,036,527 times
My brother gave up.

He had a degree in biomedical physics and could not get a job anywhere.
He seemed very depressed. He tutored math for a long time and lived in a room in a shared housing situation.
Eventually he got tired of that and moved to rural AZ and teaches high school on an indian reservation.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
My brother gave up.

He had a degree in biomedical physics and could not get a job anywhere.
He seemed very depressed. He tutored math for a long time and lived in a room in a shared housing situation.
Eventually he got tired of that and moved to rural AZ and teaches high school on an indian reservation.
Sounds more like he changed professions, rather than gave up completely. There's nothing dishonorable about being a high school teacher.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 PM

322 posts, read 383,751 times
I'm definitely stuck between two large boulders with regards to my career path. I'm not giving up, but the progress is incredibly slow. I thought things would move along quite a bit faster for me. However, I can never have too much patience and this process is teaching me how to stock up on it.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,036,527 times
Well he gave up on his "career hopes" which is what the OP asked.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM

701 posts, read 1,095,360 times
How can anyone afford to "give up," unless you come from a wealthy family? For most people, giving up means living in a cardboard box under the freeway.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,834,525 times
I don't as I don't know anyone that can afford to give up. I'm actually inspired by the different ways people try to get positions/offers, some incredibly creative ones (mostly surrounding development of tech IP).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment