Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 AM

884 posts, read 1,170,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Yes, that is me. Except the job is not as incredible as I thought it would be. It's been a year since that post and I feel much differently about the city AND the job. And it's the same BF too.
Do you have other reasons to move back and are you moving in with him?

I think if it's just or mainly him based on your other thread I wouldn't do it.

However I did move across the country and since then have lost an aunt and an uncle, and my last living grandparent is quite elderly and while in relatively good health you never do know. I don't regret moving out of my state, but I do regret not living somewhere closer that would enable me to visit home more often. I feel that if I had known I would lose two relatives at fairly young ages (mid 50s) within 4 years I would have spent more time with them. I also feel that I'm missing out on the chance to have adult relationships and friendships with my relatives. So, I am moving to another state (not taking a pay cut) but I probably would take a pay cut if I could live a similar lifestyle on that salary. But I wouldn't do it just for a BF who treated me the way yours did in your last post. Have things changed a lot over the last year or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:42 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,871,115 times
Thought about it, but I like where im living.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 AM

165 posts, read 231,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I think the point is to be as 'happy' (read: content) in ones life as is possible and if that means one returns back to their home state, at the very least you are surrounded by people you love and who love you as well. These are important things that cannot be quantified by money...in my view.

Friends and family, for me, was exactly the reason I made a return move back to my home state; without a job no less.

I agree with you 100%! Especially the difficult part..."whatever you decide."

Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 AM

8,013 posts, read 7,376,394 times
Quote:
Would you accept a pay cut to relocate back to your home turf?
Impossible. I am from West Orange, NJ but I currently live in the Poconos. I couldn't move back to my home turf and take a pay cut unless I drastically downgrade my lifestyle.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,088,763 times
Quote:
Would you accept a pay cut to relocate back to your home turf? Especially if you were unhappy with your current location and the actual work environment?

I moved to Chicago about a year ago, and let's just say it hasn't been the best decision I've made. I've been contemplating moving back to NJ ever since I moved here for many reasons.
Would I? Heck no. However, I don't want to relocate back to my "home state". I found the right place for me to live. We did accept positions with lower pay here than were offered in our home state. The overall cost of living to pay made the difference pretty small, and the amount of free things we enjoy out here (like sunshine) easily makes up the difference.

If you really prefer the environment in your home state, then that is a good reason to move. At the same time, moving to New Jersey means you really may want to spend some time studying geography. Of all the states that have a terrible cost of living, terrible taxes, terrible traffic, and bad weather, NJ is near the top of the list. Not to mention, you end up near Jersey Shore.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,377,606 times
I'd move home, unless like one poster pointed out, $16k was a significant pay cut as in goiung from $40 to $24k. if you're talking going from $90 to $64, that's enough to be happy in NJ, so why not.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,468,092 times
Quote:
Would you accept a pay cut to relocate back to your home turf? Especially if you were unhappy with your current location and the actual work environment?

I moved to Chicago about a year ago, and let's just say it hasn't been the best decision I've made. I've been contemplating moving back to NJ ever since I moved here for many reasons.

The only thing is this will be a $16K salary cut. My SO who also lives in NJ tells me not to worry about it, since I'd eventually like to transition out of this field anyway, but I can't help thinking that is a big chunk of change.

Should I sacrifice my happiness and stay put while my SO and family both continue to live in NJ, or should I take the plunge and move back, continuing the search while at least being employed?

I know you probably figure why doesn't my SO move here, well he makes twice as much as I currently do and I don't think I'd be able to sustain both of us on my salary while he looks for employment here in Chicago.
Go back home. Life is too short.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM

923 posts, read 1,499,957 times
Quote:
A different perspective:

"Someone told me that in the United States, if there is a job offering more money far away, people will move there and leave the place they grew up in, their friends and relatives and everything...? Just to get more money...?" (Amazon indian)

Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,864,584 times
I did this, after working for three years in a large industrial city north of my home state. It never felt like home - fortunately, "home" was a medium-sized city just two hours away, so I went home on just about every free weekend, since that was where my family and the bulk of my friends were located.

That city had many good qualities, but it was just too big for me - it took me at least half an hour to get anywhere outside of my own immediate area, and at one point, my round-trip work commute was an hour and a half each day, on top of eight hours of work. Some of my supervisors (I had several, over the three years) were extremely difficult people, which didn't add to the joy of living. Lack of autonomy which should have been part of my position was another (and very unexpected) issue at times.

So when the opportunity arose to take a very similar job, with a lot more autonomy but a lower salary, back in my home town, I jumped at it and never regretted it. It did mean that it took years longer to be able to afford my own house, however, and I had to be quite frugal in other areas, but then, I've never lived extravagantly. However, being back home meant I was where I belonged, doing what I wanted to do, and living in a beautiful and historic area well away from the grime, noise, and general unfriendliness of many of the residents of that big ugly and overgrown city to the north (in fairness, I also met many fine people and made lasting friends there).

So - make a pro-con list, and see if that helps you make a decision. Look at the percentage of the pay cut, rather than the actual dollar amount, and check out the cost of living in your home area before making a decision - the high cost of housing in my own home town caught me by surprise, as it was considerably higher than the cost of housing in the city where I spent three years. If this is a big consideration, you may want to give the idea of moving back more thought - if not, go for it and live happily (well, reasonably happily) ever after.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:57 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,430,682 times
No, I'd need a pay increase. My home state is Texas and I live in Hawaii where I make $36000. I better be making double that if I'm going to move to Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment